Biggest Stump I Have Seen, In Person

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tracked grinders, wheeled self propelled and tow behinds. The tow behinds never get used anymore. Once you have self propelled the unloading time means nothing compared to the pain in the ase of a tow behind and trying to get it to the stump especially multi stumps.

I don't think you would want to cut that stump down to 3 inches since it looks like the fence grew threw it.

I have had them both I prefer my tow behind over any belt driven self propello learn how to drive man I can back up to many stumps and be gone by the time your unloaded:monkey:

Last edited:
$800.-$1,000

I would charge around $800.-$1,000. without taking the chips.
Don't sell yourself short,your not just raking leaves.

And don't forget to check for utilities,could be a gasline or other hazards under that beast.

Good luck and take some pictures so we can see how it went.:)

I have had them both I prefer my tow behind over any belt driven self propello learn how to drive man I can back up to many stumps and be gone by the time your unloaded:monkey:

I'm sure your the best driver in the world. But I'd love to see you get into the back yard through a 40" gate or up in the front flower bed after a night of rain.

Anyways all equipment works some works better in some places over others. Everone always thinks their equipment is the best. Really it comes down to whatever works for you and makes you the most money. Everyone's market is different so some places where something works good is not so good somewhere else.

Anyways this thread seems to be digressing.

I agree that it should pay $800-$1000 but around here no one would pay more than $500

I'm sure your the best driver in the world. But I'd love to see you get into the back yard through a 40" gate or up in the front flower bed after a night of rain.

Anyways all equipment works some works better in some places over others. Everone always thinks their equipment is the best. Really it comes down to whatever works for you and makes you the most money. Everyone's market is different so some places where something works good is not so good somewhere else.

Anyways this thread seems to be digressing.

Yeah I let you guys have those little jobs like that they don't pay enough I need hundreds of stumps not a few in someones back yard no profit in that.

and with prices like that, around here you wouldn't be putting ANY wear on your machines.

Well, I'm not around there and if I was I would get out ASAP if that is the case. If you buy a new stump grinder do they knock a bunch off the price if you you tell them you are from a depressed area. I read all the time in different threads where some cat is howling about "You can't get that around here, nope, not around here." I am here to tell you, I am all out on that deal. If the old work won't pay out what it needs to make this even worthwhile then I am getting in a better spot.

Guys I am not trying to be a jerk but some of you would stave if you lived here. The picture earlier in the thread of a blowover being ground out would not happen in my area. There would be a back-hoe picking it out for 150 bucks. It's all in where you are located, I'm telling ya no climbers working for someone else will make over 20 dollars and hour and if you grind stumps for a living it will be closer to what Scott charges than the other figures Ive heard in this thread. Again Im not trying to be a jerk but too many people are trying to make a living doing whatever they can do . In the area I am in most people say what recession? People are so poor around here they have always been in a recession.

I called the lady and bid 800.00. She declined. I don't see how I can do it any cheaper considering the unknowns that I have to deal with.

Thanks,
Chris

I called the lady and bid 800.00. She declined. I don't see how I can do it any cheaper considering the unknowns that I have to deal with.

Thanks,
Chris

You bid it fair. Aw, she probably wouldn't have paid $200.00. Looked like it was in a durned old trailer park or something by the pictures.

Damn, I hope that wasn't your neighborhood Mckee just put down:dizzy: Looks like a typical american neighborhood to me.

My dad got a guy to dig him a ditch to run some pipe about 3 feet deep, 200 feet long. The guy came by and looked at the job said yeah I can do that in about 3 hours @ $30.00/hr.. Brought his old backhoe that hasn't seen grease in years but had enough hydraulic leaks to keep everything lubed fine! Did it in 3 hours like he said and dad threw him almost double.
The guy was just a good old boy who didn't care about the money, he had another business also. What can you say?

Well, I'm not around there and if I was I would get out ASAP if that is the case. If you buy a new stump grinder do they knock a bunch off the price if you you tell them you are from a depressed area. I read all the time in different threads where some cat is howling about "You can't get that around here, nope, not around here." I am here to tell you, I am all out on that deal. If the old work won't pay out what it needs to make this even worthwhile then I am getting in a better spot.

:agree2:

You bid it fair. Aw, she probably wouldn't have paid $200.00. Looked like it was in a durned old trailer park or something by the pictures.

If only your customers both rich or lower income could read some of your statements on this website. You'd loose a lot of business if they knew how much of a pompus @ss you really are.

This stump is in a part of town that would be considered a poorer part, but their money is as green as anyone else, so I can't say anything bad about them. I imagine the lady had no idea what it would cost, and when she heard my number, sticker shock struck.
I am bidding my jobs at the minimum I can and still look at myself in a mirror. Some people still ask if they can have a discount. I respectfully tell them I am bidding rock-bottom and there isn't any more discounting to be had.
I figured this job to have 8+ hours in it, by the time I transport the equipment there, have another guy there to assist, and make sure it was cleaned up to where the customer wouldn't know we'd been there, except for the missing stump.

Thanks,
Chris

Damn, I hope that wasn't your neighborhood Mckee just put down:dizzy: Looks like a typical american neighborhood to me.

My dad got a guy to dig him a ditch to run some pipe about 3 feet deep, 200 feet long. The guy came by and looked at the job said yeah I can do that in about 3 hours @ $30.00/hr.. Brought his old backhoe that hasn't seen grease in years but had enough hydraulic leaks to keep everything lubed fine! Did it in 3 hours like he said and dad threw him almost double.
The guy was just a good old boy who didn't care about the money, he had another business also. What can you say?

I looked at that last picture again, and yes, looks like a trailer park.

What can I say. Well, I am a good old boy that cares about the money. I grew up as poor as any of you can imagine and I promised myself I would not live like that forever.

If only your customers both rich or lower income could read some of your statements on this website. You'd loose a lot of business if they knew how much of a pompus @ss you really are.

Low income customers???? Hmmmmm. What a concept.

The picture earlier in the thread of a blowover being ground out would not happen in my area. There would be a back-hoe picking it out for 150 bucks.

Not a backhoe on the face of this earth was gonna pick that stump outta the ground.

recession? People are so poor around here they have always been in a recession.

Like Sam Kinneson used to say about the starving people in India. "Why don't they go where the food is?"

Back