Binding throttle lever

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrictech

Reaction score
Hello

I have a MS180C stihl,only one year old, that i had to replace the piston and cylinder,not right oil mix scored the the piston. I have put it all back together but the throttle lever binds up sometimes. it is not the black piece it i check it. its not the carb took it off lever moves smooth. When i assemble the whole thing it has a tendency to bind up on the throttle. Does anybody have a closeup picture of how this lever gets hooked on the carb and the throttle lever. Not sure why it is binding.

Marc

I have a 170 and found the same thing, the throttle always binds when starting horizontal cuts. The dealer ordered me the updated throttle rod but it turned out that's what the saw already had. The throttle lever normally has a small hole the throttle rod hooks into. Instead this carb had a long slot in the lever. When the saw was turned on its side the throttle rod would move up the slot to a point where it was inline with the throttle shaft itself. Pivots are designed to rotate, you can't push them. So you need to keep the throttle rod down where it belongs.
With some finesse I filled the open slot with JB weld and left enough of a hole in the bottom end for the throttle rod.
It now works flawless. Have a look, hope this helps your situation.

To install the throttle rod, hold the throttle open with a screwdriver, and mover hook on the end of the lever into the slot, if it doesn't stay or binds, buy a new rod.View attachment 234841

234841d1335013191-ms170-007-jpg

Back