Birch Milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
With lots of cool trunk character, and big knots, the slabs will make for some nice live edge furniture. I'll probably have the new sawyer for www.urbanhardwoods.com make me a table, in trade for most of the slabs.... or sell some of them. Will sticker them and air dry for a couple years.... or have them kiln dried. We made two trips home with about 10 slabs and have the butt log yet to mill.

Freakin front firing exhaust dang near got the best of me lungs--and right hand from the heat! But the power was awesome! Thanks to Andy Nobbs (Lakeside 53) for the loan of the Alaskan Mill.

There are so many things wrong in that video that I just have to say something to prevent any new millers from thinking you know what you are doing!!!!!!!
Hot fueling...just really/really bad form, personally I dont care if you catch on fire but your buddy would probably have tried to help and gotten hurt himself. Just plain DUMB.
I wont go into see/sawing your saw or smashing your wedges in, I will also skip mentioning that your helper seems to have no clue as what is happening. I'm sure that others will be along to chime in as they see fit.
Just a bad video all around!!!!!
G Vavra

Holy heck, have a read up on the c/s milling 101....might learn something. So funny, thanks for posting.

Bad form or not,

That 3120 is haulin' the mail!

Having milled a few slabs, the speed of that dude is amazing.

Thanks for sharing.

I can't help myself here, but the whole argument against "see-sawing" is misguided. See-sawing gives an inferiror cut yes, but what difference does it make? I have done it both ways and have found that its a bit faster at the expense of a slightly rougher cut. I am planning the boards down anyway and for larger/longer pieces there is often some amount of "global warp". Between global warp, kerf, and surface finish, book matching isnt really going to happen anyway. All said and done, the additional surface finish penalty of see-sawing is not even worth considering to me.

As for the rest, particularly driving the wedges in etc etc, that was pretty cringe worthy.

14938435313_46e651e0c1_o.jpg
Yawn.... I've only used a mill a few times. In response to criticism.

I'm sure I've hot filled a saw a few times. Not a good practice, for sure, but, with the awkwardness of dealing with the heat as I noted above, Freakin front firing exhaust dang near got the best of me lungs--and right hand from the heat! I was not in a good mood..... and that heat was a reason for see sawing, most likely, as I was trying to avoid the fumes and heat.

Helper had never done it before, but what was the matter with driving in the wedge more than needed?

Images can be seen here. Ends painted, now I have to get them stickered and then wait a couple years to start working them. Meanwhile, I'll be talking with wood workers for ideas, and offering some of the slabs to them in trade for making some cool live edge furniture, or artsy pieces. One friend's work can be seen here www.lindberghgallery.com. Yes, he is that Lindbergh's grandson. He was a major part of the X-Prize, and is currently working to bring electric powered flight to reality.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rbtree/sets/72157648412867130/
15534907566_c72e01fca0_h.jpg

And yes, that woods ported 3120, with a new full chisel .404 chain, was kicking ass, for sure! After close to 80 feet of linear cutting, the chain is only slightly dull. Granted, birch is easy on chain.

In the first image, two of the seven birch slabs that I milled 2.5 years ago can be seen. I had to trade Urban Hardwoods the best two for milling a birch stump straight, and into three slabs. Two of them are in a pond that I built in my backyard, to keep it from cracking, as cross cut slabs will tend to do. I'll have to post up images of them, and from the milling, which was on their amazing 7 foot bandmill !!

Andy has given me some tips on how to process the slabs, down the road. But I'd love to hear what some of you woodworkers would do with these, as in handling, processing, and what you'd make out of them.

I'm interested in a mantle for my basic fireplace (which has an insert), as part of my kitchen countertop, end tables from the two shorter slabs, which aren't pictured, etc etc. I think the considerable asymmetric shapes would be good for outdoor patio furniture. I like the wall art idea as well: http://www.slabart.com/#!wall-art--other/cygf
I've also supplied these guys with wood in the past, even helped them out when they were struggling. Which may be why they're avoiding me, as they owe me money.... which of course I'd take in trade for them making me something. I think I'll stop by someday, and clear the air.......Heck, I even photographed their shop grand opening four years ago......
I haven't visited their website in a while, and see that they've really expanded their repertoire. "Some stunning pieces!!: http://www.slabart.com/#!portfoli/c199t

As a woodturning, woodworker...and then a milling fool. I prefer to let my turning stock logs sit and spalt before cutting. And since Birch is a somewhat 'boring' timber(when compared to timber such as Honey Locust, Persian Silktree, and any other timber that has drastic changes between sap and heart wood), the spalting has to be really good. Bowl blanks can be sold 'green and sealed', slabs and other blanks need to be dried for woodworkers.....

Any thoughts about making a new exhaust? Something to port the heat/gas fumes away from you?
See-sawing happens, I still catch myself trying to force the saw through logs....mostly towards the end of the day, when I get tired.

When I have a 'helper' present, I tend to keep them away from 'stuff'. Helper for me means, help me get this thing into the truck! I bang on my own wedges and such. And I use the time for cooling the saw as a good excuse for me to get a break and sit down for a'spell!

Scott (enjoy your milling....) B

Back