birch ????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o8f150

Tree Freak
Reaction score
i cut 2 of these the other day and going to cut 4 more big ones. was wondering if this is birch. it is real heavy with large amount of moisture,splits like maple,,very easy. i more then likely wrong but i can't find anything on line with good enough pics to know for sure.. any help would be great.

002-6.jpg

001-1.jpg

Looks like sycamore to me. There was a thread about it here last week. Those with access to really good firewood don't seem to like it. If it was easy to get I'd burn the poop out of it.

Looks like sycamore to me. There was a thread about it here last week. Those with access to really good firewood don't seem to like it. If it was easy to get I'd burn the poop out of it.

i have access to about 5 cord of it if not more if i want it,,i know it is easy to cut and split

oooppss forgot,,,is it a fast burning like maple?? sorry for all the stupid questions,,but i have never had any access to it before

oooppss forgot,,,is it a fast burning like maple?? sorry for all the stupid questions,,but i have never had any access to it before

Yes, fast and hot when dry. Boils and sucks if not...:hmm3grin2orange: Rated just under elm for BTU. Enjoy...

Yes, fast and hot when dry. Boils and sucks if not...:hmm3grin2orange: Rated just under elm for BTU. Enjoy...

i just found a long thread on it,,i guess i will be cutting a lot of sycamore as soon it dries enough to get back in the field,,heck,,its free and i like burning maple a lot,,so i guess i will like burning sycamore:D:D

i just found a long thread on it,,i guess i will be cutting a lot of sycamore as soon it dries enough to get back in the field,,heck,,its free and i like burning maple a lot,,so i guess i will like burning sycamore:D:D

I don't know if you have a lot of hackberry in KY or not, but if you get a chance to try it, you'll love it. I think it's my new daytime favorite. But a fair warning, it must be very dry also, or loses it's effect completely. Enjoy your free sycamore 08!

Sycamore Does Not Split That Easily

Around here it does not. I split a cord of it last fall and that stuff is just as tough as birch--perhaps even tougher.

Yes, it burns well--about the same as elm--and with no sparks. But, the split logs are not uniform grain like oak, ash, or even dry cottonwood. Glad I had a good power splitter. :messed:

I've never split or burnt either, but Sycamore and London Planetrees are very similar. If Sycamore splits hard like some have mentioned, maybe it is London Planetree: Plantanus x acerifolia

Good Info on differentiating the two:
ID Summary
although American Sycamore (Platanus occidentalis) and London Planetree (Platanus x acerifolia) are often difficult to tell apart at first glance, the following features, especially in combination, can be used to differentiate between them:
London Planetree is now the preferred choice of nursery growers due to its relative Anthracnose resistance, and is found much more often in an urban site where it has obviously been intentionally transplanted
Sycamore is native to Eastern North America and is a predominate tree found along streams, rivers, bottomlands, and neglected wastelands, while London Planetree rarely escapes to the wild
London Planetree has relatively smooth bark, with an inner bark that is primarily olive green, while Sycamore has a bark that strongly exfoliates in mid-Summer to expose an interior bark that is a mottled combination of white, cream, green, and gray
London Planetree usually has its fruits borne as two per stalk, while Sycamore usually has its fruits borne as one per stalk
Sycamore is susceptible to leaf and stem Anthracnose in Spring, while London Planetree is prone to cankerstain (a fungal disease of the bark and cambium) and frost cracks (originating as fissures of the bark and cambium in Winter)
London Planetree is quite tolerant of poor soils and aerial pollution, whereas Sycamore prefers rich, deep, moist soils and no pollution
only London Planetree will develop many small knobs on its smooth trunk with maturity which are not associated with healed-over branch stubs, while both Sycamore and London Planetree may each have large knots on their trunks with maturity that represent sites of previous branch attachment
USAGE

Around here it does not. I split a cord of it last fall and that stuff is just as tough as birch--perhaps even tougher.

Yes, it burns well--about the same as elm--and with no sparks. But, the split logs are not uniform grain like oak, ash, or even dry cottonwood. Glad I had a good power splitter. :messed:

i split some this afternoon and it split like maple

looks like sycamore to me too. looks like some willow thrown in there in also, and at least one more species that I'm not sure of, but does looke a bit like hackberry to me, maybe ash?

Throw the willow into the ditch, do what you want with the sycamore, and whatever that smoother barked tree is, keep cutting, sure looks like a hackberry to me (maybe, just maybe not)

Yes willow sucks... But I burnt some of it this year... Absolutely my LEAST favorite. I got a question though... Who here has burnt Bradford Pear?:monkey:

Sycamore aka Plane Tree or London Plane.

Dang heavy as all get when green, light as all get when dry. Its plentiful around here and I would rate it about the same as silver or swamp maple burn wise. Decent wood but its green weight has me wondering if its worth it some times.

Yes willow sucks... But I burnt some of it this year... Absolutely my LEAST favorite. I got a question though... Who here has burnt Bradford Pear?:monkey:

Burns fine. I had a bunch of it from street trees spliting open in ice storms. Nice fruit wood.

Back