Bit OT and early advise needed on lawn tractor purchase.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
id say these days,if you get a 2000.00 mower to last 4 years thats good.in the end you are left w/scrap iron. look at the other end of the spectrum. buy a quality product from cub,simplicity,or deere. spend 6000.00-8000.00,get a good warranty,and resale. you could run one of those mowers for 15-20 yrs.(if cared for),and still sell it for 1500.00-2000.00. this would be a better investment,plus nice piece of equipment,not a disposable pos. just my opinion

:agree2:

Dad bought a 20 hp 42" deck Crapsman lawn tractor last Spring thru a friend who's a manager. He got it for $700.00 I believe, and it shows. Compared to my JD 345, it's really cheaply made. He purchased a snowthrower for it as well, and the snowthrower takes a good 1.5 hr to attach, where mine takes <15 minutes.

The seat is closer to the steering wheel, and you have to drive it with your knees in your chin and I'm not tall, 5'-8". The speed is governed with a hand control, the Hydor on the JD is foot controlled and a LOT easier to use. Same with the mower deck height, hydro controlled on the JD vs. mechanical on the Crapsman.

When comparing pricing new, the JD probably costs 8x-10x more, but on the used market they're a lot less and they're built a heck of a lot and beefier. The older Cubs were beefy as well.

>" JD 345 5 years ago at an estate auction and it's still going strong. IIRC I paid $1,300.00 for it with a 54" deck, 42" snowthrower, wheel chains, wheel weights and 4 suitcase weights."

That was a killer deal!

We've had real good luck with the 1000 series cubs in your price range. We sell a ton of them. We have hardly any come backs on them as far as warranty issues. (not saying we don't have any, every brand does) but they hold up really well for us.

For your $2000 mark you can go up to the LTX1050 which is a 50 inch deck. You can go with a Kohler, Briggs Pro or a Kawasaki engine. We have had good luck with all three engines. They are rated for over two acres of mowing so you should be good there. Best bet is to find a cub dealer close by and visit them if they don't have mower inventory in yet they will soon. Try and go with a 2010 model instead of an 09 for one reason. In 2010 they changed the blades from a timed blade to a regular set up. Before if you hit a stump or a rock and knocked your blades out of time it was a PITA to get back in to time. Also not sure if it's a national program or not but in our area right now thru I believe June you get a free set of blades or a mulch kit with the purchase of a 1000 series. Good Luck on your purchase.

Cub site:
http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/...1_image#CategoryPage&identifier=1267374656696

I will be the "odd" guy I guess.

I would recomend a Husqvaran lawn tractor. Rural King sells them.

Meets all the requirements you listed.

Also has a cast front axle, and not the cheap box axle. You can get one that is automatic for under 2K and has a 22 HP Briggs.

I bought a JD 235 (17hp air cooled Kawasaki) in '96 and mow just under half an acre. Oil, filter, grease every spring as well as sharpen blades and she's still runnin and lookin good. Only thing I've changed is the blades, battery and put one set of battery cables on it. Full hydrostatic w/ foot peddle control.
I also am a believer in buying quality and not replace for 20 yrs rather than cheaper models and have to replace every 3-4yrs. For myself it was a well spent 4-5k.

Haven't made up my mind yet. Going the bigger money and buying something that will last 20 years is sounding like a good plan but really the cost of ownership on the unit I have now hasn't been terrible. Average at $150 per. I'd have to get 33 years out of a $5000 JD to average out at the same cost per year.

With that being said I had stopped by a Sears yesterday. Found that their 3000 series tractors are being produced by Husky and the smaller units with the splash motors are being produced by MTD. Not real crazy on the idea of MTD.

The wife is making the case for another Craftsman due to the cost and we can continue to use the $300 bagger I bought with the one I have now. If I go this route I can get the large cart that Sears sells, or so my wife says right now.

I figure that I have about a month to make up my mind and look around for the best deal. Maybe I'll spot something on Craigslist or an auction listing. Till then I will keep my eyes open.

I bought a new craftsman lawn tractor for the '09 mowing season. I got it for $1700 and it has 54" deck, 24 HP V-twin Briggs with a hydro tranny(a TT46). I mow 3 acres nearly every week during the growing season and I can mow and trim in under 3 hours. I wont use it for anything else except towing a small utility trailer. The engine and tranny are fine for this type of use, you just can't push it or you will tear it up. The decks are a little flimsy, but if you don't hit anythig with it, it'll be OK. I do see the point of spending $3K or more for a real garden tractor, but I don't need one.

I really don't have much to add, because I don't know what's out there right now. My next mower will be a zero turn for sure. We are currently using a 2003 cub cadet 1529 lawn tractor with a 19 HP Kawasaki. I would highly recommend a Kawasaki over a Briggs etek or a Kohler Courage. This mower does the front yard, 50ft around the house and the top of the septic field about 1.5 acres weekly. It has done it religiously without a hint of problems for 7 summers just fresh oil and grease.I had some bad luck with the larger briggs and not heard great things about the Kolher courage.
Once the hydro goes on my CC it is done because it is sealed and not rebuild- able, but so far so good on the hydro.

THe coice depends a lot on the terrain you will be mowing. Our "yard" has a lot of area that is only yard because I keep mowing over the scrub and underbrush that encroaches (or maybe it is me expanding further into the woods each year). The 0 turn radius machines are sweet but they have a few drawbacks:

1. pulling trailers, aerators etc. is tricky, it is easy to forget that the trailer can't 0 turn with you (whihc is why it is hard to find them with factory installed hitches or holes for hitches).

2. Things get violent when you hit that stump that you keep forgetting to get rid of. With the cheapo lawn tractors I just unbend whatever got bent and roll on, with the ZT I think **I** might get bent.

Given the state of my land I just have a hard time seeing a nice machine like a zero turn - if I can't do it with a sub-$1000 lawn tractor then I would probably move up to a PTO driven bush hog or finish mower.

The Craftsman YT3000 should be about all the mower you need for the area you're mowing. It's got 21HP, 4 gage wheels on the deck, and a decent hydro in it. You are correct in the fact that the YT's are made by Husky.

The Craftsman mowers are for homeowner use, and from your description you don't need to spend the big bucks on a professional mower.

Let us know what you bring home.

We've had real good luck with the 1000 series cubs in your price range. We sell a ton of them. We have hardly any come backs on them as far as warranty issues. (not saying we don't have any, every brand does) but they hold up really well for us.

For your $2000 mark you can go up to the LTX1050 which is a 50 inch deck. You can go with a Kohler, Briggs Pro or a Kawasaki engine. We have had good luck with all three engines. They are rated for over two acres of mowing so you should be good there. Best bet is to find a cub dealer close by and visit them if they don't have mower inventory in yet they will soon. Try and go with a 2010 model instead of an 09 for one reason. In 2010 they changed the blades from a timed blade to a regular set up. Before if you hit a stump or a rock and knocked your blades out of time it was a PITA to get back in to time. Also not sure if it's a national program or not but in our area right now thru I believe June you get a free set of blades or a mulch kit with the purchase of a 1000 series. Good Luck on your purchase.

Cub site:
http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/...1_image#CategoryPage&identifier=1267374656696

:agree2:

I'm on my 4th year with a 1045, Briggs engine, hydro. It just mows. Routine maintenance and a quick fix of a bent idler pulley bracket are all mine's needed. I hit the 200 hour mark this last summer with it.

I have to agree.

Simplicity

Best homeowner deck going. Even their base machines have the full length deck roller. Prevents scalping and gives you that nice striped look. They do a great job bagging even without a blower. The entire bagger takes less than 2 minutes literally to either put on or take off.

Most of the machines in that price range are going to use either a Briggs or a Kohler, so I would concentrate on the deck, deck mount,and overall construction. Look at service access. Where is the oil filter, drain plug, spark plugs, and gas filter? Some of the cheap machines require removing the deck and half the sheet metal so you can do the annual tune up.

I had a Simplicity 18 HP base tractors for about 8 years with no issues. I sold it to a co-worker when I purchased a zero turn 4 years ago. He's still running it with no problems.

Take Care

If I was buying a new lawn tractor it would be a Simplicity.I like my 1967 Cub Cadet 125 though.I mow a with a Scag though. Three actually.

That is sweet!!!

Not to be a PITA or smartass, but I do not understand the disposable 1k dollar lawn mower concept.

If ya got a postage stamp lawn and don't wish to walk I an see it.

Half an acre justifys a tractor with a belly mower.

Like this old gal.

attachment.php

A little TLC and they will last for another 50 years. Hell, a complete restoration will only run a guy about 1200 bucks.
The newer fully floating belly mowers cut better than the stamped metal junk ever did.

Pull a couple of pins and the things do a decent job of skidding smaller timber and firewood, and pushing snow ain't a problem.

Just another option for ya.
Ya need a small tractor.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

you better sleep with your lights on!

Husky doesn't make their tractors or anyone elses.

Haven't made up my mind yet. Going the bigger money and buying something that will last 20 years is sounding like a good plan but really the cost of ownership on the unit I have now hasn't been terrible. Average at $150 per. I'd have to get 33 years out of a $5000 JD to average out at the same cost per year.

With that being said I had stopped by a Sears yesterday. Found that their 3000 series tractors are being produced by Husky and the smaller units with the splash motors are being produced by MTD. Not real crazy on the idea of MTD.

The wife is making the case for another Craftsman due to the cost and we can continue to use the $300 bagger I bought with the one I have now. If I go this route I can get the large cart that Sears sells, or so my wife says right now.

I figure that I have about a month to make up my mind and look around for the best deal. Maybe I'll spot something on Craigslist or an auction listing. Till then I will keep my eyes open.

they and the Crapsmans are made by MTD or AYP.depending who has the contract at the time.

Same Dilemma

I, too, am looking at a lawn/garden tractor in the $2,000 range to mow some rough areas. I also have a Ferris ZTR for open areas. I would also be pulling a 900# roller in spring and hate to tear up the Ferris hydro by doing this. Surely somebody makes a gear drive unit unit that could handle the rough and easily pull the roller. Have looked at Husky LLTX 1040 and CCSLT1550 but they are hydro driven. I fear that Simplicity is out of my price range.

2009 Consumer reports rates the home depot John Deere LA mowers the highest. Although they are not genuine JD they still look good in Green and Yeller.

I believe in looking for a good deal on a lightly used commercial mower. I currently use a 36" Toro belt drive walkbehind with a 13hp twin cylinder Kawasaki. It was only used 3 months when I bought it for half the original price. I paid $1500. These are built to run long hours and are easy to work on. You can look at it and pretty much figure out how to take it apart and put it back together. I take good care of my equipment and I figure this mower could last 40-50 years at the rate I use it. Plus it is fun to mow with and leaves a great looking lawn. I would recommend you look into good used commercial equipment.

Latest posts

Back