Black Ash trees dying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liberty

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My property has mainly three types of trees. Black Walnut,Black Ash,White Ash and a few Sugar maple. All of the Black Ash seem to be dying. They all have poor canopies and alot of dead branches. They range in size from 8" to 30" trunk diameter. The few sugar maples are also dying. The other trees are healthy. The soil I have is the black dirt region of NY. Any ideas?

not a bad guess, but why hasn't the borer effected the white ash? also, they aren't reported in ny yet.

Good point. I thought about that and that was my best guess. I had a beautiful green ash tree in my front yard die from EAB about 3 years ago. Last summer EAB was found and reported in the township that I live in.

IMO I think the borer was present long before it was reported in my area, possibly not in great numbers, but was there.

Since I moved to another house 6 miles away from the where I used to live a have a white ash around 10 or so years old and so far so good.

But soon I believe it will be visited by EAB, it's just a matter of time.

Just my .02 cents worth.

ash trees dying also

I have seen what happens with the borer, but my trees started with the lowest branches dying first. Top canopy getting weeker every year. I think some will die this year because I dont see any buds yet? I think I have a couple of different kinds of ash trees and they don't all bud at the same time. The soil is mostly clay. I don't think it's ash borer, but I think the black ash are dying and the white and green ash are doing better? Wished I knew what it is and what I could do to save them.

Latest posts

Back