Black Walnut trees for removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dice

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We have 5 sizeable black walnut trees that we'd like to have removed. Two trees are around 35+ years old. None of the trees have ever had metal in them and have grown in good soil - we are the original owners . There is also a 70 year old maple that could be removed as well. We are located in southwestern Pennsylvania and live on the suburban property that was once my grandfather's farm.

We have 5 sizeable black walnut trees that we'd like to have removed. Two trees are around 35+ years old. None of the trees have ever had metal in them and have grown in good soil - we are the original owners . There is also a 70 year old maple that could be removed as well. We are located in southwestern Pennsylvania and live on the suburban property that was once my grandfather's farm.
A 35yr old walnut really isn't worth much as lumber.
What you describe are just average removals and any local tree service can give you a bid.
If there is anyone in your area that might mill thee trunks they may pick them up...bit I doubt they would pay anything.
A mill person may coordinate with the tree service as to cut lengths and pickup time. That's about it.
Good luck.

A 35yr old walnut really isn't worth much as lumber.
What you describe are just average removals and any local tree service can give you a bid.
If there is anyone in your area that might mill thee trunks they may pick them up...bit I doubt they would pay anything.
A mill person may coordinate with the tree service as to cut lengths and pickup time. That's about it.
Good luck.
Thank you. They are bigger than you might suspect. The girth of one is about 80 inches. Another is about 58 inches. They are going on what used to be a horse stable area so the soil is rich due to years of manure.

That ain't gonna happen with a reputable tree service.
You are looking for a free lunch. Good luck with that.

+1

Probably the most common tree question that folks ask is how to trade their valuable trees for free labor. Gotta love the optimism.

To the OP, sorry, this is a question that comes up often. If the trees can be easily dropped, you might be able to find someone with a mill in their backyard that might be willing to take the risk that there is no metal in them and drop them for the logs. You affirming that there is no metal in them is kind of like the guy walking into Pawnstars with no provenance trying to sell George Washington's spoon... Commercial mills don't take yard trees period. If they do hit metal, they are down for an hour or 2, and the lost production isn't worth it, ever.

If the trees require a technical removal, meaning not a simple fall, due to risk to property or structures, yes, you get what you pay for. A good professional arborist's business revolves around the health of trees, and in the event that removal is necessary, safe and clean removal. Honestly, the wood is a PITA byproduct of the job. You are paying them for their expertise and damn expensive equipment to avoid property damage. So my question is, if you find a guy willing to take them down for the logs, check his insurance very carefully, and be prepared to be left with a hell of a mess, because once he gets his logs, he's gone...

To the OP, sorry, this is a question that comes up often. If the trees can be easily dropped, you might be able to find someone with a mill in their backyard that might be willing to take the risk that there is no metal in them and drop them for the logs. You affirming that there is no metal in them is kind of like the guy walking into Pawnstars with no provenance trying to sell George Washington's spoon... Commercial mills don't take yard trees period. If they do hit metal, they are down for an hour or 2, and the lost production isn't worth it, ever.

If the trees require a technical removal, meaning not a simple fall, due to risk to property or structures, yes, you get what you pay for. A good professional arborist's business revolves around the health of trees, and in the event that removal is necessary, safe and clean removal. Honestly, the wood is a PITA byproduct of the job. You are paying them for their expertise and damn expensive equipment to avoid property damage. So my question is, if you find a guy willing to take them down for the logs, check his insurance very carefully, and be prepared to be left with a hell of a mess, because once he gets his logs, he's gone...
The biggest are totally easy fells. Two others would just require a come-along - there are sizeable trees nearby to anchor to. We've felled quite a few trees over the years - I'm used to the heavy clean-up. Just was trying to find someone who could actually use the wood for woodworking purposes as black walnut isn't for garden mulch, and I wouldn't be burning it in an old fireplace.

The biggest are totally easy fells. Two others would just require a come-along - there are sizeable trees nearby to anchor to. We've felled quite a few trees over the years - I'm used to the heavy clean-up. Just was trying to find someone who could actually use the wood for woodworking purposes as black walnut isn't for garden mulch, and I wouldn't be burning it in an old fireplace.
I burn it all the time . You wont find a tree service that would do this for free and how comfortable would be having some random guy show up and fell some trees with zero insurance

I've taken trees that a tree company fell all the time . Not much liability when it's on the ground

The abundance of ash gets to be a problem - only so much garden area to spread it on and our big dogs spend way too much time rolling in it and "redistributing" it in the house if it's spread on the lawn :-(

That's all fine. Point is you want free expert labor and that ain't gonna happen, sorry.

I’ve had tree companies load trunks onto my trailer . These are white oaks they were glad to get rid of them, no mill would even touch them as they were yard trees . I milled them with the Alaskan mill ruined one chain . I ended up with 6 logs and four loads of cut firewood from one stop . They call me up a couple times a month to take wood off their hands IMG_1733.jpegIMG_1729.jpegIMG_1727.jpegIMG_1728.jpeg

Point is we could fell them ourselves with help from friends who grew up on big Canadian ranches. However, seems a shame if someone could actually use the wood for to make something nice with. We had someone once take some downed sizeable limbs from a walnut tree and make really nice furniture pieces with the wood. Seems like a real waste if the wood is of good quality. Grew up on a farm where everything useable was repurposed - manure was fertilizer and melon rinds were chicken feed, etc.

Latest posts

Back