Black gunk from woodstove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buildmyown

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Very interesting Ive been burning since the begining of November good and hot and only dry hardwoods. Today is in the 60's so I let the stove burn out to clean the ash and I noticed that there was a black liqued that had run down the front of the stove from under one of the doors then I noticed a large puddle in back of the stove under where the pipe comes out. It looks almost liqued and as black as used motor oil but it is dry like dust and wipes right off the concrete floor it also has a very metallic shine to it. I gave the chimney a good cleaning back in october and the pipe was spotless.

Today the weather was very warm in the low 60's and muggy. The stove burned out sometime this morning. Could the temp difference between the pipe and the outside air cause consensation to form and run down the pipe bringing some creosote with it but in a liqued form? Other then that idea I have no idea what it could be.

Usually caused from

Cranking the air down tight and even seasoned wood will make creosote.Some is thick as molasses some is just watery.

Yep creosote and unavoidable unless you run full bore all the time with a cat stove. Creosote is a product of wood burning and contains allot of burnable energy if you have the ability too reburn it. (new epa stove). :cheers:

creosote, leaks, etc.

I recently purchased a Harmon SF2600. It has been burning since early November.

I paid a contractor (cash) to install the unit and all its components. I am burning dry cherry, hickory, apple, and maple mixed with split dry pine kindling and some green ash.

So far I have had two clean the stovepipe out twice, my psi is at 33 at 170 degrees, my stovepipe leaks, and the pex pipe is leaking at the brass fitting into the boiler.

The contractor has not fixed any one of these issues after being made aware several times.

No way should I have a creosote issue like this. No way should I be running @ 33psi at 170 degrees, and no way should leaks have not been fixed.

Here is my question. Is this stuff my problem as a new stove system buyer. I mean should I let it go and attend to the issues myself, or should I get upfront and pissed with the contractor?

Just looking for some input as I am getting frustrated.

I cut trees for a living and no just enough about boilers to be dangerous.
That is why I hired a contractor. It seems he knows just enough about wood boilers to be dangerous!!

Any thoughts appreciated.

Later

Very interesting Ive been burning since the begining of November good and hot and only dry hardwoods. Today is in the 60's so I let the stove burn out to clean the ash and I noticed that there was a black liqued that had run down the front of the stove from under one of the doors then I noticed a large puddle in back of the stove under where the pipe comes out. It looks almost liqued and as black as used motor oil but it is dry like dust and wipes right off the concrete floor it also has a very metallic shine to it. I gave the chimney a good cleaning back in october and the pipe was spotless.

Today the weather was very warm in the low 60's and muggy. The stove burned out sometime this morning. Could the temp difference between the pipe and the outside air cause consensation to form and run down the pipe bringing some creosote with it but in a liqued form? Other then that idea I have no idea what it could be.

Howdy...here is my two cents worth...I did not read where you have a chimney cap...the stuff you mentioned might be liquidified ash and creosote..the moisture is coming down the chimney and bringing the stuff down with it...try this http://www.northlineexpress.com/images/products/5RU-98-xlg.jpg it really works...just follow the directions...hopes this helps DW:)

Latest posts

Back