Black Locust burls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The black locust I am working up had several burls, small to big. Are they good for anything? Unfortunately, the biggest one was on the bottom of the log and I cut through it.

Harry K

I don't know about carving but any burl kicks a$$ fur turning.

Mike

burls almost always have nice figure in them. the amount though can very. they are like x-mas gifts ,you wont know the true condition till you cut them open. some will have rotten centers or tracks,some bark inclutions,some solid gorgous wood. you can seal em up them give them a year or so, or cut them up and seal as you go.definately worth the effort no matter the outcome.Dave

burls almost always have nice figure in them. the amount though can very. they are like x-mas gifts ,you wont know the true condition till you cut them open. some will have rotten centers or tracks,some bark inclutions,some solid gorgous wood. you can seal em up them give them a year or so, or cut them up and seal as you go.definately worth the effort no matter the outcome.Dave

Okay, I'll give it a shot. I'll segregate the chunks with burls and seal them. What do you use for that? Black locust checks badly as a chunk dries.

Harry K

anchor seal, or Bailey's log sealer. Its cheapest by the bucket--if you order direct from anchor seal--(UC Coatings), I think its about $60. I use the winterized formula so I can leave it in my shop &not worry about it freezing--if it does, it is RUINED, and can not be made useable again.

Local guy makes some gorgeous bowls etc by carving...thought they were turned but you can see the marks from a chisel.
Here is what I did w/ a large maple w/ burls:
attachment.php
attachment.php

Okay, I'll give it a shot. I'll segregate the chunks with burls and seal them. What do you use for that? Black locust checks badly as a chunk dries.

Harry K

Many coats of very thick paint, is a sealer of sorts. As well as tossing them together, covered deep in there own sawdust, in a few layers of trash-bags and taping them tight will allow slower drying.

The black locust I am working up had several burls, small to big. Are they good for anything? Unfortunately, the biggest one was on the bottom of the log and I cut through it.

Harry K
They could be very good. I like black locust's look myself and a burl might be awesome. Don't worry about cutting through it, smaller burl chunks are still usable for a bunch of things

Harry K

Make sure and cut the burls off any "regular" wood. A burl doesn't have the same grain structure, so doesn't have the same drying/stress/cracking issues. I would seal the cut end with anchorseal or paint. I wouldn't seal the "eyes" end.

All done, there is no guarantee, but small checking in a burl is no biggie to fill with epoxy for whoever is working it.

TK those look good. as far as seaming too thin, laminate strips and pens require very little wood,so even a little burl has a lot of potential use.

btw if you dont want to spend the money on good sealer , even just a good heavy coat of latex paint is better than nothing.

They could be very good. I like black locust's look myself and a burl might be awesome. Don't worry about cutting through it, smaller burl chunks are still usable for a bunch of things

Make sure and cut the burls off any "regular" wood. A burl doesn't have the same grain structure, so doesn't have the same drying/stress/cracking issues. I would seal the cut end with anchorseal or paint. I wouldn't seal the "eyes" end.

All done, there is no guarantee, but small checking in a burl is no biggie to fill with epoxy for whoever is working it.

Dave, I also found that microwaving burls on medium works well too, as does embalming them in noodles cut with a saw. Both methods seem to prevent checking. Probably the best method is to cut the tree down and leave all branches on and let it dry for 3 weeks or so in warm weather.
John

We got some straight pieces of Black Locust on a removal once and milled planks out of them for my grandpa's shop. We treated them with linseed oil and they looked very nice when installed. I can imagine a locust burl as being very attractive.

We got some straight pieces of Black Locust on a removal once and milled planks out of them for my grandpa's shop. We treated them with linseed oil and they looked very nice when installed. I can imagine a locust burl as being very attractive.

Here's a pic of some black locust that I found while surfing.
Teddy_Black_Locust_Burl.jpg

gold mine

Dude
Ever hear of I.A.P. Its a pen turning site . cut that burl up into 3/4 by3/4 or 1 by 1 in by 6 in long you can sell them for five dollors each. Any spalted and crotch grain woods sell fast on that site.

Latest posts

Back