Black Locust burls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They could be very good. I like black locust's look myself and a burl might be awesome. Don't worry about cutting through it, smaller burl chunks are still usable for a bunch of things

Make sure and cut the burls off any "regular" wood. A burl doesn't have the same grain structure, so doesn't have the same drying/stress/cracking issues. I would seal the cut end with anchorseal or paint. I wouldn't seal the "eyes" end.

All done, there is no guarantee, but small checking in a burl is no biggie to fill with epoxy for whoever is working it.
I have to second Anchorseal. Another thing if the hole section of the tree is a big burl. You have to cut the pith out. If you don't it will most likely crack weather you seal it or not.

Chopped them out of the tree today. Quite a pile. I don't think many of them will be of much use as too "thin".

005.jpg

003-4.jpg

I have a guy coming to look them over this weekend.

Harry K

Try cutting the tree part flat, and then slice them with a band saw so they make rainbow looking pieces. About 2 to 3 inches thick. It gives you a good surface to shine up, and I've hung stuff down from them as wind spinners/chimes type of things.

Back