Black locust mantel milled with 362 and 171

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two unique characteristics about Black Locust is it does not rot. Farmers and Ranchers have used black locust for fence posts and it did not rot after 75 years in the ground. Also I have seen stands of black locust trees blooming out in the spring and the bees made honey from the flowers that was clear as water. Plus as a firewood it really burns hot. Quite a special wood.

Wow that’s a very long time in the ground. Can seem to be able to get a wet green weight on black locust. I’ve got some cutting boards I’m going to mill out of the cut of slabs and I’ll weight them and convert them to a square foot or just board foot. I’m finding white oak weights more on the internet and I have a feeling the locust weights more.

I've been to the 1607 Jamestown Settlement in Virginia one time in 1990 and the only thing still remaining of the original homes are the 4 black locust foundation corner posts of each home. 400+ years, I think that would qualify for a lifetime guarantee. Anyway if I build mama a deck anytime soon you know what decking material that I will be using.

Hey. No that’s done with an archer round full skip chain that I hand file and hit my rackers down by eye with a 4.5” grinder with a flap wheel. Did some more milling yesterday on the very Bottom of the trunk and will be doing more today. I’m going to use my 3120 tho because it’s a bit slow with the 362. Pics soon!!

Did you update your mill? Vs the one in the cherry thread pictures.
Also curious how it is pushing that through the wood?

This mill I use for my 064 and 362. The other mill is for my 3120. do you mean where do I hold it? I push the 1/4” plate on the edge and also pull the up right piece closer to the end of the bar. Usually under the wood surface. Best to grab it lower then high so it does not side load the bar into a downward angle.

Latest posts

Back