Black Locust Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It shouldn't matter where the tree is located, the Black Locust will only have smaller thorns on the young trees and outer twigs, and only some of the Honey's have the really long nasty thorns, there are several varieties.

I'm surprised you didn't have people fighting over free black locust, the best firewood around usually.

I don't think the black locust is native to Southwest Iowa. There are some (black locust) in dad's timber but they were planted by my aunt as a conservation project in the late 50's along with a bunch of ash trees. Most of them have been cut down for firewood before my time. I have not seen a lot of evidence that they have been very prolific in procreating unlike the honeylocust weeds. I don't really see any young black locust trees.

I don't believe they are very closely related. Generally black locust is two words and honeylocust is one word at least when you start researching it on the web.

I do not believe honeylocust is as rot resistant as black locust. I have some trees that I took down not that many years ago that are rotted through. It does take a long time to season. My experience is that I can get oak to season faster.

Don

I have called the locus trees with the thorns "Honey Locus". Not sure if that is correct but thats what my dad always called them.
I have no idea what a black locus is, which would not suprise any one who knows me.

We also called them honey locust trees growing up. However it was usually preceded by that Da*n ol' honey locust.

It may be regional terminology, here in the part of Missouri I live in we just refer to them as black locust at least that's all I've heard them called since I was a kid many moons ago. Our locust are covered with long thorns all over the tree and limbs, razor sharp, you'll see thorns three inches long. They are one mean tree to deal with, will flatten tires in a heartbeat and pierce skin like a needle.

we got em here to damn things have cost me several atv tires:cry::cry:

sellin fresh cut, green, split black locust for $180 a cord here! gona list em for $220 in the winter, give all the guys with their $240 oak cords a run for their money, ill make sure to include that locust lets off more btus than oak in my ad, the oak guys will hate that !

although ive seen a couple "100% oak deliveries" at customers houses around here, needless to say.... it wasnt 100% oak.. lol

we got em here to damn things have cost me several atv tires:cry::cry:

We here in Kentucky are a different breed and therefore everything here is either steeper, colder, hotter, etc. I have saw these thorns break the track of a D-9 dozer. I also remember one time that i was mowing with a bush hog that had a solid rear tire and looked back after getting too close to a honey locust and the solid tire had went flat.

We here in Kentucky are a different breed and therefore everything here is either steeper, colder, hotter, etc. I have saw these thorns break the track of a D-9 dozer. I also remember one time that i was mowing with a bush hog that had a solid rear tire and looked back after getting too close to a honey locust and the solid tire had went flat.

damn things are mean i got some stiches over on

I don't think the black locust is native to Southwest Iowa. There are some (black locust) in dad's timber but they were planted by my aunt as a conservation project in the late 50's along with a bunch of ash trees. Most of them have been cut down for firewood before my time. I have not seen a lot of evidence that they have been very prolific in procreating unlike the honeylocust weeds. I don't really see any young black locust trees.

I don't believe they are very closely related. Generally black locust is two words and honeylocust is one word at least when you start researching it on the web.

I do not believe honeylocust is as rot resistant as black locust. I have some trees that I took down not that many years ago that are rotted through. It does take a long time to season. My experience is that I can get oak to season faster.

Don

I gotten alot of black locust here in sw Iowa. I friend of mine at work had a alot of wood to be taken down, he didnt know what kind it was, but we all and help from this site determined it to be black locust, and yes I love to burn it, along with the honey locust.

Locust

We were pretty poor growing up and we had to use what was available around the house to get projects done. I remember my Dad having my brother and myself gather the thorns off of a honey locust to use as nails where the wind had blew the barn roof off. My granddaddy said that he had used them as horse shoe nails.

Back