black walnut veneer - what's the value of my logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungTreeGuy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a system of priceing some logs that look like possible veneer logs. They are 12'L 24" wide no change in bark patern, looks like the growth was pretty uniform. So it's met the qualifactions based on a site I read. But there was no price system. A local logger is buying black walnut up and I want to get veneer price for these but not sure what grade of veneer it would be or the value.... I don't want saw log prices then he turns and sells it as veneer because I don't know the value. Anyone know the value of these black walnut logs?

yep, you need to watch the mills, they will short change ya every time, gotta shop it around, if you have enough of them it my be worth it, but just a few, i think you will be just wasting time.

I've been looking for a system of priceing some logs that look like possible veneer logs. They are 12'L 24" wide no change in bark patern, looks like the growth was pretty uniform. So it's met the qualifactions based on a site I read. But there was no price system. A local logger is buying black walnut up and I want to get veneer price for these but not sure what grade of veneer it would be or the value.... I don't want saw log prices then he turns and sells it as veneer because I don't know the value. Anyone know the value of these black walnut logs?

Where did you get them?

Okay, I will play the 'devils advocate' for a moment:

Your wanting full price as a veneer log...great! All you need to do is cut it into veneer and sell it on the market as such.

I get this when someone brings me a log to cut up. Although I'm making blanks for bowls, game calls and such(a little different, but kind of the same). When they want $50/bF for a log(that isn't worth the gas/oil to cut it down), because such-n-such got that for theirs....what can you do?
Had a woman tell me that Remington wanted her Black Walnut tree, and she wanted me to pay her $800 and then cut it down and remove it. Unfortunately, I know the person at Remington that buys wood and called him on the spot(with her standing there)...bluff called, the tree still stands and is dripping crap all over her nice shiny new car!

What I'm trying to say is:
Sometimes, you won't get full value for a log. After all, the person with the equipment to make the veneer has to be able to make money also...or there just isn't any reason to buy said log(and take a chance it isn't the quality that it's claimed).

I didn't mean this as an offensive post. I hope it didn't come across as such

Scott

Okay, I will play the 'devils advocate' for a moment:

Your wanting full price as a veneer log...great! All you need to do is cut it into veneer and sell it on the market as such.

Scott

Pursuing that devils advocacy thought...

He wants to be paid for a veneer log as opposed to just a lumber log, not looking for the retail price of actual veneer.

In any event, you can only get what the buyer will pay and if there's little competition the number might be small.

I have a few more logs. Black walnut seems to be going like gold around here at the moment. I don't expect retail price but is it worth it to load them up and take them to the mill around the corner or sell them to the logger.

They where haversted about 25 feet or more from a rail road similar to the log I cut in feb for this logger. My log is much better looking. Fathers friend sold one last week 12 ft by 24 in forr $500. I can get it to the mill if I get $800 for it.

Last edited:
Waterloo ny but the logs are out at the shop couple miles away from where I live

dang wheres your mill?! I'd love prices like that! I blocked up a perfect 32" black walnut log for firewood:msp_angry:

dang wheres your mill?! I'd love prices like that! I blocked up a perfect 32" black walnut log for firewood:msp_angry:

From my understanding because it's my fathers friend... the guy came picked the logs up and took it to the mill and came back with $500. Must been worth it to get a loader and bring it to the mill and pay out $500.

My logs have uniform bark patern where his had some signs of change. I realize from my reasearch that every mill is different. Like I said my mill is right around the corner so if its an extra $300 if I bring them to the mill... its worth my time.

Just based on what I've encountered in Missouri. Veneer Walnut goes for $3-9 dollars (based on a lot of varialbles such as log condition, market, buyers, etc, etc. ) bf if you cut down the tree and deliver to the mill. What you have based on 24" x 12' is roughly 300bf so you do the math. The problem is that log buyers are just as bad as used car salesmen. They will come up with every excuse as to why you can't get paid even the minimum bf rates. With only one log to sell, they won't give you the time of day. Sure they will deal with you because they are in the business, but with one log that won't spend much time haggling over prices. To be honest, I think you would be lucky if you got $300 out of that log, $500 if your playing hardball and $900 if the buyer just really likes you and or has an overseas buyer coming in town and is short on Veneer logs. Also it's a good idea to check for nails with a metal dectector, especially if the tree was an urban tree or grew near a fence line. That's just my experience. Good luck.

Last edited:
what makes you think its veneer quality?:dizzy: just because of that moderate size? whats the amount of dark heartwood to the lighter band? post some pics, and stop believing what people tell you they got, maybe...

its very true that log buyers are made of excuses...they will tell you every excuse known to man as to why they cannot pay what you want. Last summer we took down a very nice tree (juglans nigra). Anyways... the quality was there, straight as an arrow as well. It was beautiful to say the very least. But as true as what we are reading here tonite...good luck gettin the big bucks. I ended up deliverin it to my uncle who in turn had a mill (portable) out to saw it up in to nice workable pieces. I at first thought it was a small fortune worth of the walnut wood...i settled for 300$
I thought maybe 1000, dreamin man dreamin

what makes you think its veneer quality?:dizzy: just because of that moderate size? whats the amount of dark heartwood to the lighter band? post some pics, and stop believing what people tell you they got, maybe...

I can probably get some pictures tommrow. Its a verneer by defination. The color was the same all the way threw and growth patterns were evenly spaced apart. Local logger paid me $300 to knock down a veneer log so if he paid me $300 + the home owner for it and made money...got bet worth the time if this guy buying logs and paying some1 to knock them down.

Also I have at 2 veneer logs and maybe a 9f that also could be veneer quality. Or I wouldn't be tree to figure a value on this topic. Thanks for all the input.

Last edited:
I can probably get some pictures tommrow. Its a verneer by defination. The color was the same all the way threw and growth patterns were evenly spaced apart. Local logger paid me $300 to knock down a veneer log so if he paid me $300 + the home owner for it and made money...got bet worth the time if this guy buying logs and paying some1 to knock them down.

Also I have at 2 veneer logs and maybe a 9f that also could be veneer quality. Or I wouldn't be tree to figure a value on this topic. Thanks for all the input.

Man, this does not make much sense....Lay off the alcohol when you're typing......;)

Man, this does not make much sense....Lay off the alcohol when you're typing......;)

Ok sense I'm bad at explaining things :

Logger paid me $300 to knock down a veneer walnut

Logger paid unknown amount to home owner for the veneer log

Logger made unknown amount of money after paying me

Or in a math formula : $300 + X amount to home owner + logger profit = total value of the tree.

Which gives me a ball park figure of my logs

One of the nice things about walnut is that they can steam them and the sapwood darkens.

One of the things with the logger is that he has a relationship with more then one mill. He may have a deal with the buyer to call him when they ++NEED++ certain species and lengths. He has a few honey holes in his hip pocket that makes every one involved some nice money. He creates a sellers market for his resource.

Us small timers do not know the market, or the buyers, and just show up when we have what we have. This creates a buyers market for the resource.

The buyers job is to get the best deal for the company, not for the supplier. If he wants to work with you in the future, he may treat you well, if he has no intensive to do so...

So... after to weeks of this logger screwing around. He pays me $300 to knock a tree down and cut it in lengths. He has to do the clean up and everything else. Now I got mine out there all he has to do is load them he offers $350 :msp_confused::msp_thumbdn::bang:

Something seems wrong with this old man...:blob2:

What grade did he say the logs were? More than likely they graded a 1 and not veneer which is a pretty decent price difference.

Back