Blaze King thermostat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like for your stove and chimney set up that the minimum burn setting is not allowing enough air to enter the firebox to keep the fire going.

So the fire goes out.

The bi-metal coil does not control minimum burn air flow. I believe someone mentioned a hole.

I'm convinced that's a function of design rather than set-up for this particular model. The minimum burn setting only relies on a small hole in the bottom of the intake tube to sustain the fire. Which works fine when there is enough fuel in the firebox to maintain combustion air flow. Where the sticker comes in, and what prompted me to start the thread, is that with the dial set at the minimum air flow or 12 for the sake of clarity, the bi-metal coil has no range to open the air control (flapper) as the stove cools. The hole thats being referred to is, I'm guessing, 3/8" diameter. Maybe a little smaller.

However, this can be overcome because the dial settings are not really a one size fits all. The goal is to find the sweet spot where the stove will function for ones individual scenario. So for me, the dial being set between 12 and 3 wont produce desirable low burn results on this stove even though they did on the Princess. This isn't a result of my wood, my chimney length or chimney diameter. Its a result of design and manufacturing. So I have to change my thinking in that low for me isn't 12 on the dial, its closer to 3. I have a feeling that once I get settled in with the stove and in the meat of winter, Ill be closer to 4.

At no time have I bad mouthed BK, the Stove or their CS. I love the stove and I have been impressed with the response I have gotten from BK either on the phone, email or via various forums.
Sure you did, read your words below. The only reason to add that to your original post was to bad mouth them. I've never witnessed a company with customer service like Blaze King has, Never. Chris goes above and beyond expectations of even the most demanding customers.

Thinking there was something wrong I sent a message off to Blaze King. After not hearing back, and not wanting to have issues at this point in the season, I bought a new thermostat.

I can easily operate this stove on my 6" chimney now that I have determined where the sweet spot is for the setting. That means I can, and have, had a complete burn of a load from sticks to ash with the dial set between 4 and 5 o'clock.
I'm not looking for an argument or trying to disparage anyone.

The problem is a lot of things you're saying shows that this install and or operation isn't living up to the potential of the stove. Such as "thermostat setting for an overnight burn", among many others, not only in this thread too.

During the shoulder season, you should be at a minimum on a 24 hour load schedule. Hell, most everyone who buys a Blaze King is to get these low burn rates for the shoulder seasons and long burn times for the whole season. Results being, drastic reduction in fuel consumption and being able to take the chill out of your house without overheating it during the shoulder season. What I'm getting at is, of course your install will work, of course you can burn down a load to ash, the question is can you get a 40hr burn time on your low setting? If you had the proper chimney setup and dry wood, It wouldn't be an issue. I've achieved 6 hours past the stated 30hr burn time for a Princess.

If your stove is operating properly, after stuffing it to it's gills, charring the wood real good for 20 minutes after engaging the cat, turning the stat down to your minimum setting, that firebox should be blacked out completely, and the stove forgotten about for a day and half on it's minimum setting.

What works best for me is a 24 hour load schedule during the shoulder season and 12 hour load schedule during the heart of the heating season, a load schedule most everyone uses with these stoves that are setup and operated properly.

Did you become a stove dealer for another brand?
https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...e-burn-on-the-kuma-stoves.346463/post-7397229

I could run the Princess on 1 as well, 2 seemed better for our house. I only had it installed at the end of the last heating season so I didnt get a lot of time on it. But what an absolutely wonderful appliance. I was easily getting 24-30 hour burns out of a load.

Im easing into the King so I can determine load size with the intention to load it twice a day. If I can figure out how full to fill the box so I am loading at the end of a cycle, that will be ideal. Eventually once a day would be nice, but I'm not going to get that ambitious yet.

I usually get in the area of 12-16hrs out of a load.

Sure you did, read your words below. The only reason to add that to your original post was to bad mouth them. I've never witnessed a company with customer service like Blaze King has, Never. Chris goes above and beyond expectations of even the most demanding customers.

The problem is a lot of things you're saying shows that this install and or operation isn't living up to the potential of the stove. Such as "thermostat setting for an overnight burn", among many others, not only in this thread too.

During the shoulder season, you should be at a minimum on a 24 hour load schedule. Hell, most everyone who buys a Blaze King is to get these low burn rates for the shoulder seasons and long burn times for the whole season. Results being, drastic reduction in fuel consumption and being able to take the chill out of your house without overheating it during the shoulder season. What I'm getting at is, of course your install will work, of course you can burn down a load to ash, the question is can you get a 40hr burn time on your low setting? If you had the proper chimney setup and dry wood, It wouldn't be an issue. I've achieved 6 hours past the stated 30hr burn time for a Princess.

If your stove is operating properly, after stuffing it to it's gills, charring the wood real good for 20 minutes after engaging the cat, turning the stat down to your minimum setting, that firebox should be blacked out completely, and the stove forgotten about for a day and half on it's minimum setting.

What works best for me is a 24 hour load schedule during the shoulder season and 12 hour load schedule during the heart of the heating season, a load schedule most everyone uses with these stoves that are setup and operated properly.

Did you become a stove dealer for another brand?
https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...e-burn-on-the-kuma-stoves.346463/post-7397229

No offense but your looking at things in a vacuum. If burning wood has taught me anything it is that everybody does things a little different. What may work for Hank doesn't always work for Harry. Casey's been around a long time and over that time he's proven to be a stand up guy. If he says that his intention wasn't to disparage you can take that to the bank. I know the internet is emotionless in general and it can be difficult to ascertain the emotion in a post but I never took a word he typed as anything other than investigative.

Casey's been around a long time and over that time he's proven to be a stand up guy.
Yeah, we’ll go with that. A standup guy promoting a competing brand of stove that he sells, while saying the customer service of another that he doesn’t sell was non responsive to his communication attempt, stating that the minimum air inlet isn’t large enough to sustain combustion and if it was, there would be no need for the bimetallic spring, all the while his install is against the manufacture’s guide lines, that achieving a 24hr burn on a King is somehow some great feat that you have to work at to achieve, when it’s as simple as stuff it, light it, adjust the stat and walk away for a day.

Got it. :cheers:

Yeah, we’ll go with that. A standup guy promoting a competing brand of stove that he sells, while saying the customer service of another that he doesn’t sell was non responsive to his communication attempt, stating that the minimum air inlet isn’t large enough to sustain combustion and if it was, there would be no need for the bimetallic spring, all the while his install is against the manufacture’s guide lines, that achieving a 24hr burn on a King is somehow some great feat that you have to work at to achieve, when it’s as simple as stuff it, light it, adjust the stat and walk away for a day.

Got it. :cheers:

If that's what you read I believe you're seeing ghosts. I see a guy asking questions and trying to dial something in. I think your read is wrong and am betting most would agree with me.

If that's what you read I believe you're seeing ghosts. I see a guy asking questions and trying to dial something in. I think your read is wrong and am betting most would agree with me.
I’ve known Kris a lot longer than you have, my friend. How about him picking this King up for $2300 and attempting to sell it here for $3500?

Standup guy?

I’ve known Kris a lot longer than you have, my friend. How about him picking this King up for $2300 and attempting to sell it here for $3500?

Standup guy?
I have no idea who Kris is but if your talking about the BK guy, Casey wasn't disrespectful. I think you're trying to be a white knight where one wasn't needed.

You'd hate me then. I buy, sell, trade, finance for a profit everyday all day. I have no idea what the stove sells for but If I owned one and could make some coin in a sale I sure as hell would.

I'm not trying to be a dink to you, I'm just saying your read of the situation isn't correct. But that is the beauty of America. We're allowed to disagree.

We were coming out of the heating season so the stove was run on low primarily. I can imagine in the meat of winter seeing the same burn times.

Which would be far above what we were getting the the stove prior to the BK.

That's with a blower going. I've not really checked without. The blower makes quite a difference moving the warm air around the house.

I've just been making fires at night the last few weeks. 5-6 pieces of spruce or poplar.

That's with a blower going. I've not really checked without. The blower makes quite a difference moving the warm air around the house.

I've just been making fires at night the last few weeks. 5-6 pieces of spruce or poplar.

About the same here, 4 or 5 pieces of oak or beech is all we need to take the chill off. This week is getting into the 70's during the day, so overnights are all we need.

I have no idea who Kris is but if your talking about the BK guy, Casey wasn't disrespectful. I think you're trying to be a white knight where one wasn't needed.

You'd hate me then. I buy, sell, trade, finance for a profit everyday all day. I have no idea what the stove sells for but If I owned one and could make some coin in a sale I sure as hell would.

I'm not trying to be a dink to you, I'm just saying your read of the situation isn't correct. But that is the beauty of America. We're allowed to disagree.

I'm Kris.

Yeah, we’ll go with that. A standup guy promoting a competing brand of stove that he sells

Competing brand? This isn't a BK forum and I don't work for BK. I am at liberty to recommend any thing I want. Kuma stoves are nice units for the price, they are made here in America and I will support ANY company that produces their products here.

while saying the customer service of another that he doesn’t sell was non responsive to his communication attempt,

I didn't say they were "non responsive", I said "after not hearing back". I sent the message on Friday, if my memory serves, and started this thread on Sunday. I'm impatient. It wasn't a jab at BK, it was me expanding the likelihood I would get some real world responses from others that may have run into the same issue.

It was also a preemptive response to the almost always asked "did you get ahold of the manufacturer?"

stating that the minimum air inlet isn’t large enough to sustain combustion

That is a statement of fact. The hole in the bottom of the air tube leading into the firebox of the King is not large enough to sustain a full burn of a full load of wood...... further.....

and if it was, there would be no need for the bimetallic spring,

Another statement of fact. If the hole in the bottom of the air tube could support a full burn of a full load of wood, the stove would burn uncontrollably. If the hole could support a full burn of a load of wood, the need for a stat would be moot. But what does the stat do when the stove cools? Can a static hole make itself bigger? What happens to the draft and the velocity of combustion air as the stove cools in relation to the bi-metal spring opening the air inlet?

all the while his install is against the manufacture’s guide lines,

Which has 0 to do with the position of a cold thermostat.

that achieving a 24hr burn on a King is somehow some great feat that you have to work at to achieve, ,

Where did I state or infer this? Ive stated multiple times Ive done this with the Princess.

when it’s as simple as stuff it, light it, adjust the stat and walk away for a day.

I think thats fantastic that process works for you. I wont run a stove during the day when its 70 outside and we can open the windows. During the winter when the highs stay below 30, absolutely.

Standup guy?

Not a fan of capitalism?

I never would have guessed.

With this post of yours Ive quoted, its clear that your ONLY intention is an attempt to find something to disparage me. You're harassing me now and I would encourage you to move on.

Dang!
Highs in the low 50s here. Been in the 30s at night.

We had a cold snap for about a week last week. I think this will be our last week with temps near 70. Lows get into the 40's - 50's though. Most nights I can skip a burn at those temps as the house in insulated well. MI bounces around quite a bit during fall. Weather has trouble committing to a temp.

I don't disagree about BK's customer service. See my last post in regards to addressing the statement above. What I said is a statement of fact. In fact, I STILL haven't received a response from BK. Its not a slam, its a simple reality. People are busy right now, people are working from home. It is what it is. There was no ill intent. That you took it that way is something you need to work through.

I received the help I need direct from Chris anyway, the only one that has an issue with it right now is you.

Yes you are. Specifically because you're not letting anything sink in. You're focused on finding fault with something Ive said. You're applying your process and expectations to my situation.

Which, through the help of Chris, I have been able to determine that my stat is within spec and I need to alter my preconceived expectation of the setting. The issue has been resolved yet you are still looking for fault.

During the shoulder season, you should be at a minimum on a 24 hour load schedule.

That may work for where you live, but Im not running a stove when we get a week where the temps swing to 70 during the day and down to 40 at night. I dont NEED the stove running for 24 hours.

Hell, most everyone who buys a Blaze King is to get these low burn rates for the shoulder seasons and long burn times for the whole season. Results being, drastic reduction in fuel consumption and being able to take the chill out of your house without overheating it during the shoulder season. What I'm getting at is, of course your install will work, of course you can burn down a load to ash, the question is can you get a 40hr burn time on your low setting? If you had the proper chimney setup and dry wood, It wouldn't be an issue. I've achieved 6 hours past the stated 30hr burn time for a Princess.

I have no doubt I will have satisfactory results with my stove on any setting I set it to, now that I am comfortable with the fact that my stat is correct and I have altered my idea of what should and wont work based on my stove.

I feel like I keep repeating myself. Youre hung up on the notion I dont know how the stove operates. MY SPECIFIC issue was MY SPECIFIC preconceived notion of the low setting on the stat. That issue has resolved itself yet here I am, saying it again.

Sweet. I hope to get mine dialed into the same type of schedule. But a 24 hour burn during shoulder season here isnt reasonable. Not until the chance of the temps hitting 70 goes away.

As I addressed in the previous post, Great company, Great product made in the USA. Your attempt to make it seem like I was smearing BK is a stretch. If I wanted to smear BK, I would have mentioned Kuma in this thread. But I didn't, you did.

We would love to sell BK products, but there is a dealer too close to us and the Rep isn't comfortable rocking that boat.

That is a statement of fact. The hole in the bottom of the air tube leading into the firebox of the King is not large enough to sustain a full burn of a full load of wood...... further.....
No one said it was for a full burn, when the off-gassing of the load drops significantly, it won't be enough to keep the cat active without adding more combustion air. This is many many many hours into a 40hr burn. Until that happens though, with dry wood and the stove installed according to the recommendations, it most certainly will. Do you think they just randomly guessed at the minimum air inlet without extensive testing? The VP of Blaze King already stated this to you, do you know more than him?
Another statement of fact. If the hole in the bottom of the air tube could support a full burn of a full load of wood, the stove would burn uncontrollably. If the hole could support a full burn of a load of wood, the need for a stat would be moot. But what does the stat do when the stove cools? Can a static hole make itself bigger? What happens to the draft and the velocity of combustion air as the stove cools in relation to the bi-metal spring opening the air inlet?
Which has 0 to do with the position of a cold thermostat.
You're stuck on a minimum and maximum for the stat, it's why you avoided my other rebuttal to this point. Focus on a "medium" heat output to understand the purpose of the stat.

Think of the fixed air inlet as the stoves minimum setting to support combustion (your lowest possible burn) for many many hours into the burn and the stat as the device to run the stove in between that fixed minimum and maximum heat output. In your case, it sounds like 3 oclock is when the stat will start overriding your lowest possible burn. The stat will also provide an alternate minimum combustion air inlet for less than ideal conditions, as in, insufficient draft, less than ideal wood, atmospheric conditions, and when the load isn't off gassing enough to keep the combustor active. This is what people refer to as their "low setting" on their dial.

My install (with the original factory combustor) could run for hours upon hours upon hours on the fixed minimum air inlet until the load's off-gassing dropped off, then I would have to adjust the stat for a new "minimum air inlet to support combustion" if that makes sense. Adding more and more and more minimum air through adjustments of the knob to keep the cat active with the lowest possible burn. I already stated this in a previous post. This was when I was seeing how long of a burn I could get out of the stove, I don't operate it like this, except for the oddball extremely warm day during the shoulder season that I wasn't expecting, it was more out of curiosity if the stove could live up to the manufacturer's claims. I'm also stating this so it may dawn on you that the stat won't do what you expect it to towards the end of a low burn during the shoulder season. You WILL have to bump it up occasionally to keep the cat from stalling, and yes, your cat stalled when you woke up to the cold stove.

Where did I state or infer this? Ive stated multiple times Ive done this with the Princess.
Below are your words.
Eventually once a day would be nice, but I'm not going to get that ambitious yet.
To get a 24hr burn is as simple as stuffing it, lighting it, going through the cold start process, adjusting the stat and coming back a day later.
With this post of yours Ive quoted, its clear that your ONLY intention is an attempt to find something to disparage me. You're harassing me now and I would encourage you to move on.
This is a funny statement. Harassing you? Seriously? If I was going to harass you I would of jumped into your "for sale" thread and told everyone you marked this sale up $1200. You no longer are selling the stove, you have it installed in your house. I was looking for clarification of what a "stand up guy" is. In my book, that's not a stand up guy. A stand up guy doesn't mark a sale up over 50% to a community he is a part of. It's not harassment, it's my opinion, and no, I won't be "moving on".
I don't disagree about BK's customer service. See my last post in regards to addressing the statement above. What I said is a statement of fact. In fact, I STILL haven't received a response from BK. Its not a slam, its a simple reality. People are busy right now, people are working from home. It is what it is. There was no ill intent. That you took it that way is something you need to work through.
Hold up, I thought you just said you were happy with their communication via email? You're running in circles.

That may work for where you live, but Im not running a stove when we get a week where the temps swing to 70 during the day and down to 40 at night. I dont NEED the stove running for 24 hours.
We don't run our stove under those conditions at all, I consider those nights great sleeping weather with my bedroom window cracked. Having said that, I'm not afraid to run a 24hour load with day time temps reaching 60-65 degrees (if the nights are cold enough) with this stove in fear of the house overheating. It's what's great about BK, you can run them so low during the shoulder season if they are installed properly and fed dry wood.
I have no doubt I will have satisfactory results with my stove on any setting I set it to, now that I am comfortable with the fact that my stat is correct and I have altered my idea of what should and wont work based on my stove.
I think you'll see a big change on how the stove operates once you start stuffing it to the gills. Throwing a few sticks in there isn't giving an accurate indication of how this thing will operate, not even your "low setting" you are trying to figure out. It's just not enough off-gassing to keep the cat active at an extreme low setting. The performance of these stoves were engineered and based off a full load. FYI, I load North to South, I can fit more wood in there vs East to West, from your pics it looks like you're loading East to West. I also do a top down start on a cold stove, I get very little smoke out of the chimney this way and it gets the cat into the active zone faster.
I feel like I keep repeating myself. Youre hung up on the notion I dont know how the stove operates. MY SPECIFIC issue was MY SPECIFIC preconceived notion of the low setting on the stat. That issue has resolved itself yet here I am, saying it again.
I don't think you do. You're touting that you do, but your words say otherwise.
We would love to sell BK products, but there is a dealer too close to us and the Rep isn't comfortable rocking that boat.
THERE IT IS!

Back