Blaze

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnum783

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone use blaze rope. What is your opinons of it and it's handlablity. I was thinking of making my newest lanyard out of it. Just need some advice from some really smart people.
Jared

I like mine, but not nearly as much as PU does his. Social life in Indiana must be kinda slow these days...:cry:

Blaze holds a variety of hitches well. Milks a little, no big deal. Too dynamic for efficiency w some ascension methods. It wouldn't be my first choice for a lanyard cuz it is nickable, but it is my favorite climbing line right now.:clap:

I like mine, but not nearly as much as PU does his. Social life in Indiana must be kinda slow these days...:cry:

Blaze holds a variety of hitches well. Milks a little, no big deal. Too dynamic for efficiency w some ascension methods. It wouldn't be my first choice for a lanyard cuz it is nickable, but it is my favorite climbing line right now.:clap:

You said it would be you favorite for a lanyard what do you recomend then? I supose that is the question I should have asked in the begining.
Jared

I'm getting good wear out of True Blue on my lanyards. Plus, it's common enough that most dealers have cheaper short lengths from roll cut offs.
Phil

I supose that is the question I should have asked in the begining.
Jared

In my limited experience, the qualities that make a good climbing line don't make a good lanyard. I want my lanyard to be stiff and tough with a hard surface. It doesn't matter if it is no good for tying or holding knots. Since I make my own, I want it to be relatively easy to splice. I use a hard-laid 3-strand (Samson Tree Master) that fits the bill perfectly. I can certify that the same rope makes an absolutely awful climbing line.

BLAZE as a lanyard? NO freaking way, unless you are NOT bringing a chainsaw, handsaw or polesaw into the tree. I touched my handsaw ever so gently (by mistake) against a 5/8" climbing line, poof, severed. Why in gods name would you want a line like Blaze that is even thinner?(btw, when loaded with climber wieght Blaze is only 8.5mm thick.....imeasured it with a micrometer.

(i can see it as a lanyard for REC climbing, but certainly not for work (wirecore only).

I've seen some people who really like thinner lanyards. I typically use 1/2 XTC for my lanyards- but I have one that is 3/8" that I also like.

Let us know if you need help splicing it!

love
nick

(i can see it as a lanyard for REC climbing, but certainly not for work (wirecore only).

For one thing, using wirecore has its applications IMO. For big trees flipping is a lot easier, but working near electrical lines, you don't want a wirecore. Plus for pruning, I always use my 8' 1/2" lanyard (not wirecore).

jp:D

For one thing, using wirecore has its applications IMO. For big trees flipping is a lot easier, but working near electrical lines, you don't want a wirecore. Plus for pruning, I always use my 8' 1/2" lanyard (not wirecore).

A common myth, nothing wrong with using a steelcore around powerlines, as long as you do not violate your limits of approach with it. If you don't know what limits of approach are then please don't respond, as you have no clue about utility work.

BLAZE as a lanyard? NO freaking way, unless you are NOT bringing a chainsaw, handsaw or polesaw into the tree. I touched my handsaw ever so gently (by mistake) against a 5/8" climbing line, poof, severed. Why in gods name would you want a line like Blaze that is even thinner?(btw, when loaded with climber wieght Blaze is only 8.5mm thick.....imeasured it with a micrometer.

If you like a long lanyard, say in the 15-20ft. or longer range then something like Blaze is excellent. Really depends on what your climbing style is and what kind of work you're doing that day. For limb walks and positioning for branch pruning it is very nice. Always tied in twice when saw is in use to back up your lanyard.
-moss

Last edited:
yes i use blaze for a CL and just recntly made a lanyard with it. i had an old school swivel on one end for flipping it around but have swithched to a mongoose beaner with a plastic rope thimble instead of a micro pulley, its light and thin but when cutting, even on a stick i always have my climbing line cinched below it or on a FS, ayuh

Blaze is rated at 11mm!!!

A common myth, nothing wrong with using a steelcore around powerlines, as long as you do not violate your limits of approach with it. If you don't know what limits of approach are then please don't respond, as you have no clue about utility work.

Clearance, you can have your wirecore flipline, your limits of approach and your utility work! hahaha

Back