blowers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Normally when I go to a job I take a back pack blower along with me in the back of the truck. It works well, just something else to bring. Yesterday I did an ornamental pruning job, and the client gave me a very nice Stihl hand held blower (gas of course). The sucker works fine, and fits right in my toolbox with all the saws and whatever else. So my question here is, is this little blower sufficient enough for tree jobs in general, or should I stick to my trusty back pack blowers?

Nice score on the blower. You can always try it and see if it suits your needs. Or better yet, if you have room, keep both on the truck.

I would not trade my backpack for anything. That thing will blow gravel if you want it to. Really speeds up the clean-up.

I use my STIHL SH55 on my yard, it blows anything I have come upon so far.. I love that blower. I have 2 others but pretty much only use the SH55. I am sure the backpack ones must work better but for what I use it for it is fine.

good score. :clap:

I have an Echo hand held blower, works for me. It's about 10 years old and always starts. It fits in the side box on top of the saws.

LT...

I use a hand held as well but would prefer a backpack. I plan to purchase 1 this year. Less raking with a backpack and it speeds things up.

+1 nice score!
Handheld blower
Tree guy hanging from rope in tree
Flying like a jetpack powered moron in circles
Priceless...till he pukes:jawdrop:

Not trying to Hi-jack this thread as I am not sure this warrants a new topic so . . .

Is there unwritten blower etiquette? I have a Stihl 85 Shredder Blower. Everytime I take it out to clean my sidewalk and driveway I get dirty looks from the nieghbors and I doubt it is Stihl envy? I only blow material off my driveway onto the street and never try to directly blow dust or fine gravel onto my neighbors lot. So how do you people that clean up with blowers manage the moral responsibilty of using a blower. :)

I just try not to blow stuff at oncoming cars. If there is a drain at the curb I will try to blow the debris in there but mostly I blow it out in the road where it can be carried away by oncoming traffic. The neighbors probably don't like it that the debris is likely to end up on their curb. I just try to be respectful and rake most of the debris up so there is not a lot going out into the street. It gets washed away in the first rain anyway.

Nice pick up. Carry both. I have redmax 7001, that thing is unbelievable. Handhelds work fine on pavement

I've got a 7001 and also a bunch of the bigger 8000's... so this is a choice between size and ease of portability, vs. bigger and more powerful.

Troy, I think a lot of people hate to hear machines running in general. This fall I was running my leaf sucker for a client to get the place picked up by Thanksgiving and a faceless pedestrian came over to yell. She wanted to see me picking everything up by hand, to heck with the amount of time it takes... she just didn't want to hear the noise. Other people just wanna just see us crank it up and get it done.

Not trying to Hi-jack this thread as I am not sure this warrants a new topic so . . .

Is there unwritten blower etiquette? I have a Stihl 85 Shredder Blower. Everytime I take it out to clean my sidewalk and driveway I get dirty looks from the nieghbors and I doubt it is Stihl envy? I only blow material off my driveway onto the street and never try to directly blow dust or fine gravel onto my neighbors lot. So how do you people that clean up with blowers manage the moral responsibilty of using a blower. :)

A) Holler over "see you aren't the biggest blowhard on the block".. :hmm3grin2orange:

B) Ask them "whats the matter, never seen anyone do yard work before"? :chainsawguy:

C) Tell them to "take a picture, it will last longer"... :sword:

D) Act like you are legally blind and blow it in their direction when they stare at ya... :cool:

E) Get a bigger place without the nosey neighbors? :rant:

J/K

Or...

F) Offer to let them use it? :dunno:

Good luck, there is no way to make some people happy..

:wave:

its a good idea too have both hand held and back pack. i find it much more safe to birng the small blower up on roof tops and blowing out trucks and that sort of stuff. you can get away with one or the other but we have both:)

Normally when I go to a job I take a back pack blower along with me in the back of the truck. It works well, just something else to bring. Yesterday I did an ornamental pruning job, and the client gave me a very nice Stihl hand held blower (gas of course). The sucker works fine, and fits right in my toolbox with all the saws and whatever else. So my question here is, is this little blower sufficient enough for tree jobs in general, or should I stick to my trusty back pack blowers?

those are nice for little snip jobs,,, you know they go good with a pair of Felcos,,,,, I keep one around for just that,,,,,light way not so gawmie, (sp?) Man i like snip jobs,,helps me remember sometimes why i got into this trade.

We use the largest hand held stihl blower, bg85. Very respectable power. We blew out a convertible Mercedes this past summer after we realized the fine dust from the chipper had floated over to his car in the driveway next door. It was a funny sight to see.:popcorn: :biggrinbounce2: :laugh: :D :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

We use the largest hand held stihl blower, bg85. Very respectable power. We blew out a convertible Mercedes this past summer after we realized the fine dust from the chipper had floated over to his car in the driveway next door. It was a funny sight to see.:popcorn: :biggrinbounce2: :laugh: :D :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

thats funny i got to show you a pic of an old lady showing my crew how to suck up saw dust with a shop vac.:givebeer:

The gutter attachment up each pant leg on hot summer days works wonders! Just make sure its clean. As for blower etiquette... wait till your neighbor has the windows up on his beamer:chainsaw:
Our Golden likes being blasted with the blower in summertime after his bath, almost as funny as him trying to catch snowballs in winter!

Latest posts

Back