Blown Up 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supercut469

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for a project saw to improve my mechanical skills a little, found a 026 "for parts" in the local classifieds for 40$. The owner emailed me saying "the saw blew up" and "it's fine except the rings".

For 40$ + a p/c aftermarket kit from Bailey's could this be a good fixer upper?

Will Bailey's ship to Canada and is there outrageous customs broker fees?

Blown up could mean anything, did it throw a rod, or did it just burn the piston?
Is it locked up?

Might be a good project, than again it could be a nightmare.

Your call, if you want to gamble the $40.00.

Looking for a project saw to improve my mechanical skills a little, found a 026 "for parts" in the local classifieds for 40$. The owner emailed me saying "the saw blew up" and "it's fine except the rings".

I would get it -- I recently bought 3 026 fixer-uppers...

Member/sponsor bcorradi has OEM piston+cylinder kits for $85 shipped. They are 44.7mm, but you can get them with no decomp for the 026. Think of it as a big-bore.

026 are fairly easy to work on and they are tough, light saws. Do it! Skip if the saw looks like it has other problems or is missing parts.

I am a laser sales aftermarket distributor and good news is my manufacture is located both inside Canada and USA so canada residents can order thru me and i can drop ship the items straight to there door right from within Canada and the good news is the Aftermarket Cylinder Assembly with Piston Piston pin and rings all combined in one package is available for under $100.00 for the 026 stihl besides you will be helping a small company out

You said if everything is ok except the rings if the cylinder is ok and just needs rings those are available also by themselves for under $ 11.00 plus shipping the Pistons and piston rings assembly's are also available for about $ 23.00 plus shipping.

the advantage of using me as your aftermarket parts source for Canada residents is there is no brokerage customs fees involved since the manufacture is located inside Canada

Last edited:

If your parcel is shipped by USPS, you will pay Canadian taxes,HST. If shipped by Courier then yes a huge brokerage fee is added when they collect the taxes owed from you, never use a courier service to bring anything into Canada if you can help it.
Pioneerguy600

I am a laser sales aftermarket distributor and good news is my manufacture is located both inside Canada and USA so canada residents can order thru me and i can drop ship the items straight to there door right from within Canada

the advantage of using me as your aftermarket parts source for Canada residents is there is no brokerage customs fees involved since the manufacture is located inside Canada

That is good to know for us Canadians !
Is the price difference close ?

:cheers:

Last edited:
That is good to know for us Canadians !
Is the price difference close ?

:cheers:

Price Difference ?

im charging the same prices overall right around dealer price to the consumer as well
right now trying to get the sprockets put in the system mainly chainsaw stuff is what im putting in since mower season is almost done with

Last edited:

Baileys ships to Canada thru Canada Post, you pay HST and a 3% handling fee in addition to your shipping cost (just ordered a piston for an 026 and shipping to ontario alone was about $23.00 for a $40 piston, but it is a Meteor) I just added other parts to make my final shipping cost of $28.00 wothwhile. All charges from Baileys are also in USD.

The dealer cost for a Laser piston in Canada is $29.40 CDN, Piston and cylinder is well over $100, and the rings well some of the laser ones can be had for $0.95 each, not overly impressed with the quality of the laser products but the are cheaper than oem (dependant upon dealer mark up -which is suggested to be 45% in Canada).

I would deal with Baileys and they have much better customer service and much better knowledge of the products they offer.

While you are at it you should order the gasket kit from Baileys also $9.95 as when you do a vac/pressure test you will most likely find the flywheel side crank seal is toast.

I am a laser sales aftermarket distributor and good news is my manufacture is located both inside Canada and USA so canada residents can order thru me and i can drop ship the items straight to there door right from within Canada the advantage of using me as your aftermarket parts source for Canada residents is there is no brokerage customs fees involved since the manufacture is located inside Canada

Well interesting for I have an account with Laser Sales also, would love to know how I can drop ship items to the US.

Manufacture is not loacted inside Canada, hell Laser doesn't sell anything Canadian made and very little US made, its just that they have already imported the goods from the country of origin, and payed the related import/fees/taxes on the goods for it warehouse in either the US or Canada.

you want to improve your mechanical skills so don't worry about the cost. the more you find wrong with it the more you will learn. it's a great saw, go for it!

Baileys ships to Canada thru Canada Post, you pay HST and a 3% handling fee in addition to your shipping cost (just ordered a piston for an 026 and shipping to ontario alone was about $23.00 for a $40 piston, but it is a Meteor) I just added other parts to make my final shipping cost of $28.00 wothwhile. All charges from Baileys are also in USD.

The dealer cost for a Laser piston in Canada is $29.40 CDN, Piston and cylinder is well over $100, and the rings well some of the laser ones can be had for $0.95 each, not overly impressed with the quality of the laser products but the are cheaper than oem (dependant upon dealer mark up -which is suggested to be 45% in Canada).

I would deal with Baileys and they have much better customer service and much better knowledge of the products they offer.

While you are at it you should order the gasket kit from Baileys also $9.95 as when you do a vac/pressure test you will most likely find the flywheel side crank seal is toast.

Are you saying i do not know what im doing i been in the ope business since 1988 sir and for you to say baileys is much better on customer service is a disgrace

THEY ARE NOT the only ones out there

Thank you for hurting me today with that comment

Last edited:
Are you saying i do not know what im doing i been in the ope business since 1988 sir and for you to say baileys is much better on customer service is a disgrace

THEY ARE NOT the only ones out there

Thank you for hurting me today with that comment

In dealing directly with Laser Sales they have terrible customer service, you as an aftermarket distributor of there products albeight you most likely have great customer service the comment I made was directed at Laser Sales.

Latest posts

Back