Somewhat of an introduction with a few questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mwmx54

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am very new to this, and know very little about chainsaws, aside from days of reading on this forum, my grandfather gave me my first saw for Christmas, a nearly brand new 20ish year old 026, I've enjoyed every second of using it, I chopped down a few elm trees on my property and cut one of them into slabs with my home made slabbing attachment, I quickly learned I need a larger saw to continue doing this, so I snagged a 181 from rupedoggy, who I have to say knows how to adjust a carb, the thing ran insanely well right out of the box. I am very capable of doing mechanical work(I'm a mechanic by trade) and grew up racing dirt bikes, so I've done my fair share of work on 2 smokers.
I just purchased a couple project 036's from another member here, they should arrive Tuesday, in the mean time I decided to pick up a very cheap p/c off eBay to put in the 181, i do not in any way plan on this kit lasting long, but I wanted to try my hand at porting a non reed valve engine. I also have read that the ring that comes with these cheap kits are garbage, does anyone know if the caber rings that can be purchased for the 288's will fit on the cheapo piston. Caber sells the rings in pairs, the China piston is a single ring. Next question, the 181 has a cracked and welded sprocket cover/chain brake, it's the one with the metal flag. Does a 288 cover and brake assembly fit on the 181? And does the 288 have a larger carb than the 181. I appreciate the help, this forum has consumed a ton of my time, I enjoy reading the build threads. Here's a pic of my saws.
GL0DY0U.jpg

Back