blowtorching

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhoff310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I lit a fire the other night and was waiting for everything to catch before closing the door. One of my larger kindling pieces was shooting a flame out of the bottom of it while everything else was burning upwards. I have seen it before in my stove and never thought anything of it.
What causes it, obviously its something in the wood..tighter fibers? What do you guys know about it

Jeff

Have seen it myself but like yourself I never gave it much thought , now I am wondering?

Not to hijack your thread but here is another question. Sometimes when I go to light a fire I notice that some of the ashes are orange in color ( very orange at that) not the normal gray ? It is only occasionally and all my wood is either oak or maple and does not seem to have any consistancy as to when it happens? Weird??

My pine and cherry do that...I always figured it was the heat causing the pitch that's present in them to gasify and blow out. My pine will give me two and three inch torches. Its especially dramatic if the pine has bug holes in it.

I have a glass door, so I get to see how all my wood burns.

I've seen it happen with most species of wood. Mainly smaller splits. As heat from the fire diffuses inward, those innards have flammable gases distilled. Then they burn.

Main reason why I keep splits a reasonable distance from the door glass. Can't watch the flames through soot. :rolleyes:

Have seen it with Pine myself, I tend to agree with you about the pitch.
There sure are lots of big white worms this year in the Pine I got.
Bear Grills sure would be full :)

The gasses coming out of the wood are combustible. As the outside of the wood heats up the sap, water and other gasses come out and catch fire. Same idea as the secondary burn in the EPA stoves. Not all of the compustible gasses are being burnt so it brings in more oxygen and recirculates those gasses and oxygen back into the fire and they burn.

Back to the blow torching thing. It's call pyrolysis. The fact the something solid can't directly ignit. It must be heated to the point that it will release combustable gasses that cause the flame.

Back