bmans timberframe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
About two years ago I started a timber frame house project from trees felled on my property. At that time I sought and received some great advise about chainsaw mills from the chainsaw forum as this forum wasn't even on line at that time if I remember correctly. Got some great advise and started milling with a 36" Alaskan and a 3120XP. At the time someone suggested I post pics and I am finally getting around to it. From the time the first tree was felled to the final building inspection was 20 months and in that time I milled about 15,000 bdf of doug fir (timber frame, roof decking, loft decking and lower floor) cut all the timber joinery, assembled and finished the house. The Alaskan mills really do work! Thanks for the input guys on getting started in chainsaw milling.
bman

Excellent post, excellent pics... great job. I love to see this stuff. Man walks into the woods with chainsaw and a little Alaskan mill and builds a house out of the trees on the land. They should write you up in an article in a mag somewhere.

Great job!
Here is my attempt at timber framing. I am also using trees from my property. Not anywhere as elaborate as yours but I only have a weekend here and there to do the work. No running water or electricity. But I got to tell you I love the work. I love being out in the middle of the woods with no one around. Hope you can appreciate the pic I certainly did yours.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l299/bdouglass_2006/cedardown9-27-06011.jpg?t=1176155996

By the way the joinery looks really professional do you do that for a living?

Great job!
Here is my attempt at timber framing. I am also using trees from my property. Not anywhere as elaborate as yours but I only have a weekend here and there to do the work. No running water or electricity. But I got to tell you I love the work. I love being out in the middle of the woods with no one around. Hope you can appreciate the pic I certainly did yours.

cedardown9-27-06011.jpg

About two years ago I started a timber frame house project from trees felled on my property. At that time I sought and received some great advise about chainsaw mills from the chainsaw forum as this forum wasn't even on line at that time if I remember correctly. Got some great advise and started milling with a 36" Alaskan and a 3120XP. At the time someone suggested I post pics and I am finally getting around to it. From the time the first tree was felled to the final building inspection was 20 months and in that time I milled about 15,000 bdf of doug fir (timber frame, roof decking, loft decking and lower floor) cut all the timber joinery, assembled and finished the house. The Alaskan mills really do work! Thanks for the input guys on getting started in chainsaw milling.
bman

Great job!

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l299/bdouglass_2006/cedardown9-27-06011.jpg?t=1176155996

Awesome work both of you guys! I think that is every man's dream!

Very nice job! There has to be a lot of satisfaction from milling your own lumber and building your home from it. Congratulations!!!!:rock:

Im very impressed did you take any courses in timber framing ?.

Im a carpenter by trade and do have training in timber framing
your notches are perfect , did you do the exterior finishing ?

Excellent post, excellent pics... great job. I love to see this stuff. Man walks into the woods with chainsaw and a little Alaskan mill and builds a house out of the trees on the land. They should write you up in an article in a mag somewhere.

Took the words out of my mouth! I'd love to do that oneday.

Beautiful and impressive work there.

Thanks all. Cut the frame from a set of production plans and shop drawings. The internet is a wonderful resource for just about any pursuit. Timbers were worked green but did dry out some over the course of cutting all the joints (about 5 months) Heres a couple of interior pics.

Latest posts

Back