Boiler Guys....Keep a Spare Circulating Pump on Hand and Know How to Change It

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Understood, I was just trying to stress what will make others lives a lot easier if they go the extra mile to set up their systems with future maintenance in mind.

MVC-012S_3.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/kevininohio/rugermini14/large/MVC-013S_2.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/kevininohio/rugermini14/large/MVC-001S_49.JPG

This is what was offered for incoming/return piping when I installed mine 12 years ago. A LOT has changed. Good thing is I used HIQ tile( smooth bore) and I can pull a new line if needed with ease. Also put 2 extra new ropes in there at install so I could pull any other lines if I wanted to ad something.

http://photos.imageevent.com/kevininohio/rugermini14/large/MVC-021S_8.JPG[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I 110% agree.

That is an awesome setup you have there. Very clean work!!

ETA - The middle 2 pictures were not loaded when I posted.

HOLY COW THAT'S CLEAN for 12 years old. Awesome!!!!!!!!

Is that on a regular dusting schedule? :D

I 110% agree.

That is an awesome setup you have there. Very clean work!!

Thanks. Dealer told me the order to put things then I actually had to draw it out so I could make it as tidy as possible. If you notice , there is also provisions to add to the system if future stuff is needed, along with space to do so. Take a pipe plug out and mount, that's it.

Definite flaw in the casting and might be worth having your neighbor contact the manufacturer. that should not happen in that time frame and I'd be interested to hear their excuse if they deny.

Thanks. Dealer told me the order to put things then I actually had to draw it out so I could make it as tidy as possible. If you notice , there is also provisions to add to the system if future stuff is needed, along with space to do so. Take a pipe plug out and mount, that's it.

Definite flaw in the casting and might be worth having your neighbor contact the manufacturer. that should not happen in that time frame and I'd be interested to hear their excuse if they deny.

He does quite a bit of work for the plumbing/heating company that he bought it from so I imagine they will take care of him. I don't think that pump is over 2 years old.

The rust on the hole leads me to believe this wasn't an immediate issue that happened. But, if nothing draws you to that area to see what is wrong....

He does quite a bit of work for the plumbing/heating company that he bought it from so I imagine they will take care of him. I don't think that pump is over 2 years old.

The rust on the hole leads me to believe this wasn't an immediate issue that happened. But, if nothing draws you to that area to see what is wrong....

I learned early on to check fittings before leaving a supply house. When I was buying stainless pipe fittings for my system, TWICE, I had elbows that had bad flaws in them. One had a void that had a pin hole showing from the OUTSIDE. This wasn't a big box store, it was a big plummers supply house here in Dayton. I looked at the stuff as he walked away he came back when I was still standing there and asked if there was a problem. I said yeah and showed him and he went and got the manager. The fittings were made in Israel and they were not happy. Don't assume anything anymore.

Yep. Completely agree. Makes life a whole lot less messier.:cheers:

All of the pumps have ball valves on the in/out side.

Said offending pump.
Is that pic looking up? Or in? Wondering if the pump is oriented the wrong way?

Beaver shoot? You're taking a rifle with you right?

Although it being Christmas...I would let them slide today. It's the only free pass the vermin get here.

Go out tonight rip apart some of the damn and set up tomorrow. :D

Oh, I have some rocks strategically placed on the overflow so they can't stuff big branches in there. It still flows a good clip around the rocks. When it gets real high I pull one rock and let it flow all day, then in the evening put it back. Working so far. I keep a rake hanging in the trees near there to rake out any mud or leaves. I like the beavers, they are doing a jamup job going and clearing around the lake.

When did installing an inlet and outlet valve on a pump become an option and not a no brainer? I think that subject is covered in piping 101.

Understood, I was just trying to stress what will make others lives a lot easier if they go the extra mile to set up their systems with future maintenance in mind.

MVC-012S_3.JPG

MVC-013S_2.JPG

MVC-001S_49.JPG

This is what was offered for incoming/return piping when I installed mine 12 years ago. A LOT has changed. Good thing is I used HIQ tile( smooth bore) and I can pull a new line if needed with ease. Also put 2 extra new ropes in there at install so I could pull any other lines if I wanted to ad something.

MVC-021S_8.JPG
your install is so beautiful. it almost brings a tear to my eye. I install owbs as kind of a side job. so I can really appreciate such a clean install.

what caused the corrosion on the pump? did it have a clamp holding it onto some unistrut? it almost appears that it corroded from the outside. it looks like it was touching a dissimilar metal?

also check fleabay for pumps. $300 grundfos pumps at a big box store can be purchased for around $100

No. Squared up dead on.
if that was the way the pump was mounted then it was installed wrong. also you should have a clamp mounted on the cord to keep it from chaffing on the pump housing where it comes thru the hole. I'll try to find a pic.

I am fortunate that my dealer is only about 5 miles away and operates from his home so I can get a cartridge or pump in the evening if needed. I have put 2 cartridges in my Taco 009 in the last 14yrs and my 007 is surprisingly still original. The 009 is in the basement and the 007 is at the owb servicing 2 buildings. My dealer has switched to Grundfos but still keeps Taco cartridges on hand.

Wow! When it Rains, It Pours.... Those people are lucky to have you watching they house. I have the Taco 009 and 007 pumps on my OWB and kept putting off buying a cartridge but thought about this a lot lately; maybe this is a wake up call of a few of us... There was an auction this past week and they sold new Taco pumps for 49.00 to 70.00 and I never bid on any. The next time Menard's has the 11% off sale, I'll be buying me a few things to keep on hand...

Wow! When it Rains, It Pours.... Those people are lucky to have you watching they house. I have the Taco 009 and 007 pumps on my OWB and kept putting off buying a cartridge but thought about this a lot lately; maybe this is a wake up call of a few of us... There was an auction this past week and they sold new Taco pumps for 49.00 to 70.00 and I never bid on any. The next time Menard's has the 11% off sale, I'll be buying me a few things to keep on hand...

When it's below zero and you wake up to a cold house on a Holiday weekend and a garage floor slab that is cooling down by the minute, you do not want to wait several days to get it going again. I'd highly suggest keeping yourself covered. One frozen to burst line in a slab and it looks REAL cheap to pay in advance.

When you guys are plumbing your boilers you should consider some valves on each side of your circulator pumps. As a former heating tech I've only seen a few with shut off valves but I put them in my own home. Now I can swap out a bad unit without draining the entire system.View attachment 473115

That's how my boiler is setup. Guess I assumed that was SOP.

what caused the corrosion on the pump? did it have a clamp holding it onto some unistrut? it almost appears that it corroded from the outside. it looks like it was touching a dissimilar metal?

also check fleabay for pumps. $300 grundfos pumps at a big box store can be purchased for around $100

No idea. There was nothing touching it. Last time I was in their furnace room was MAYBE 5 months ago.

Thanks for the heads up on the cheaper pumps.

if that was the way the pump was mounted then it was installed wrong. also you should have a clamp mounted on the cord to keep it from chaffing on the pump housing where it comes thru the hole. I'll try to find a pic.

I will pass that along about the clamp.

And in the video it says "Except in higher psi applications" for the mounting orientation. That pump is small compared to this. I have dealt with those pumps in the past and they have all been mounted as shown in the video. Flange bolts are horizontal.

I have no idea if this is mounted right or wrong.

I am just in a reactionary situation where someone else's stuff has crapped the bed and I have had to deal with it.

My intent of this thread was just a reminder to have spare parts on hand and know how to replace them so there is limited down time.

A pump is a wear item. It will fail. It's not a matter of "if" but when and how bad. It's better to be prepped for situation than sucking swamp water on a holiday when nothing is open.

Thankfully there is a propane back up as a heat source in their house.

When I installed my OWB I left the two pumps connected to the side of the OWB; like you I put valves on both sides of the pumps and I also added extra valves and a "T" between the two feed lines (below the pumps) thinking if one of the pumps goes out, I could open up the by pass between the two lines and keep the house or the garage/shop warm while I change the bad parts. After reading Ben's post, I'm sure the cast could rust over the years and that would be my luck so two extra pumps will be on my shelf soon. It looks like Menards will be having their 11% off again starting tomorrow.. You know where I'll be tomorrow..

When it's below zero and you wake up to a cold house on a Holiday weekend and a garage floor slab that is cooling down by the minute, you do not want to wait several days to get it going again. I'd highly suggest keeping yourself covered. One frozen to burst line in a slab and it looks REAL cheap to pay in advance.

When I installed my OWB I left the two pumps connected to the side of the OWB; like you I put valves on both sides of the pumps and I also added extra valves and a "T" between the two feed lines (below the pumps) thinking if one of the pumps goes out, I could open up the by pass between the two lines and keep the house or the garage/shop warm while I change the bad parts. After reading Ben's post, I'm sure the cast could rust over the years and that would be my luck so two extra pumps will be on my shelf soon. It looks like Menards will be having their 11% off again starting tomorrow.. You know where I'll be tomorrow..
as I all ready stated. check fleabay for pumps. this exact same pump at menards costs over 300
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grundfos-UP...682828?hash=item5adf8e038c:g:77kAAOSw2s1UwA6j

grundfos pumps are usually more expensive than taco. and grundfos is usually better IMHO.

Back