Boiling fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys, thank you for the replies.

It is in fact a little XL12 but ancient and full metal, no plastic in sight. I say little because my other saw are well not so little..( and I am still looking for the saw that feels natural, that is a 090. Never mind :hmm3grin2orange: )....but it is very gutsy. The previous owner dropped it from a gum tree he was looping from about 15 meters high...sorry that would be 50 feet and sold it to me for peanuts. I replaced the clutch cover, muffler and the bar, and voilá, as good as 40 years ago.

So you recon it is a cooling problem, meaning clogged fins.
I agree I haven't cleaned the fins on that one...Actually I think I never cleaned them :-(
Yes clogged fins + dirty fuel filter + dry (real) hardwood + average chain + Sydney heat + job not suited for the little one = overheating

I agree, the vent releases only very little pressure. As for the petrol, it was boiling allright, like the Billy one the fire, no vibrations.
So you think no damage? I'll pull the muffler as soon as I get around to do it, and have a peep at the piston. May try to open it up a bit whilst at it. Can I shoot a few holes in it with a framing gun?
Only kidding.;)

I ended up with some 3 m3 of firewood (one cord)but it was impossible to split by hand. My log splitter would bounce off without not even making a nick ... I had to hire an hydraulic log splitter with 25tonn of pressure to split it. I tell you the log splitter was struggling

Last edited:
The muffler on them is pretty open to begin with, so Id leave it alone. Their an increadibly tuff saw so I doubt you hurt it if this is the first time its done this.

The air gap (under the flywheel) is a very important design element and when it gets clogged it transfers a lot of heat (think deep fryer) into the tank and will cause it to boil.

Also, its not designed to rev like your modern saw, keep it "fat and happy" and it will be around for another 30yrs.

Back