Tophandle - Stihl 194T ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok First post:
I bought a CS355T & have been using it since end of summer.
I really really really hate how small the gas & oil cap openings are.
Once the gas can nozzle is in the hole, I can't see the level of fuel as I fill up till it comes spilling out.
That said, I like operating it over the CS341 it replaced.
It's a hair heavier, but I'm getting used to it.

Yes, the gas and oil openings on small echos are stupid tiny. Only the good ol'fashioned narrow spout gas cans work well, and even then it is a pain to fill without spilling. Sometimes I'll use something like a quart oil bottle to pour gas from.

To the original question- I’d prefer a 14” bar on a MS194t.

If I needed a 12” bar saw I’d just go really light and get something like the new Echo CS-2511t.

All the feedback has been wonderful! I reckon a 14" bar to chunk down pines.

I have a gift card & discount at a local Stihl dealer that brings the MS-201TCM price to $185 of the Echo CS-355T, so no longer double. I don't have much to go on... didn't relish Echo's chain brake hand guard lever.... Japan vs. Germany, big name vs. smaller, fire department culture, Stihl dealer is closer to home. Good to pick one and just move on.

Sounds like the best idea so far ! I mean you said you were only taking down one tree but usually one thing leads to another... Though they are both 35cc machines the 201t is a lot more saw than that 355t.

A lot more in both power and durability, and they keep their value well. May even be a touch lighter.

201t is the saw you want. 355t will do everything you have planned, but it’s not as powerful or user friendly. The 194t is a budget climbing saw with a disappointing amount of torque. All three benefit greatly from a muffler mod and timing advance.

I’m in Ward. I have a variety of bar and chain set ups if you want to try something out.

Hello - Thanks all for the input to go bigger than a 194T, and a fun read. I'm sure the CS-355T and MS-201T would both fare well. More trees to chunk down are finding me and I ordered a 14" MS-201T w/ PS3 chain. Can't think of any tool that I've regretted buying.

Mr. Sugarloaf & Mr. Ward - more than thrilled to meet for beers/wrenches someday instead of during another wind-driven fire. Maybe el Nino will make room for a wet spring, but until then it's bone dry outside.

Latest posts

Back