Boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a pair of Georgia Boots back in '97 (right out of high school) for my summer job. Boots wore out after 2 seasons, but the insoles have been in every pair of boots since (about 6 pair total). Wish I could find those insoles again....

As for reccommendations- whatever you can afford and is comfortable.:D I've been wearing loggers for a while, but you said you don't like big heels....

Dan

Wet and muddy every day? Nix on the Durashocks - Wescos are bomb-proof, but they do have heels.

Maybe those type JPS uses?:confused:

Rocky hunting boots, hands down the most durable boot I've ever worn!!!!! I've had the same pair for five years now almost daily and the uppers are still in good shape needs to be resouled but after five years??? $169 WELL spent!!! Very comfortable and water PROOF until it comes over the top!!! I have the Rocky Bear Claw and have just bought a new pair for hunting. I use my old pair for limbwalking and when I'm not on gaffs although they are alright on gaffs just not as comforable as my Stihl Pro Marks.

Nice testimonial for Rocky boots Ryan. I had a pair of their Tacticals once-they were very comfortable but only lasted about 8 months. I may have to try something different from their line.:)

redwing

I am a big fan of redwing logger boots. They are pricey but they are comfortable and wear like iron. If you do get them also get some of their boot oil and use it. Most other boots I would wear out in less than a year. Both of the redwings I have, high top logger and middle rise, have been worked hard with no failure. The high ones are over 3 years and the other 2+.

If wet and mud are going to be a routine thing, I would suggest you fork over the $$$ and get a pair with gore tex or sympatex lining. These can be worn three seasons out of four, then maybe get an unlined pair for the summer months.

one word: Danner . Best boots I have ever owned (finally retired).

"13,500km's On the Boots

"After averaging 10 Km per day (I wore a pedometer for a few weeks), 270 working days per year, and 5 years later..."

I just wanted to drop you folks at Danner a line and let you know what one of your pairs of boots has been up to the last few years. I work in a garden center/wholesale plant nursery. I have worn my Danner Light II boots since I bought them in 1991. I have worn these boots at work everyday, over sand, snow, ice, slush, mud, muck, gravel, pavement, roofs, rocks, grass, sawdust, shale, concrete, bricks, creeks, rivers, swamps, even over hot asphalt while paving a parking lot with an average of 10 Kilometers a day. After averaging 10 Km per day (I wore a pedometer for a few weeks), 270 working days per year, 5 years later, I figure there are about 13,500 Km’s on these boots not counting my camping, hiking and fishing trips (most weekends). My Danners have been resoled once, re-laced maybe three times and a five minute cleaning with boot dressing every two or three weeks they have required no other maintenance. Everyone I work with has been through many pairs of “work” boots, wet feet, blisters and worse, while I have enjoyed dry, comfortable feet. I can’t say thank you enough to the excellent craftsman at Danner. Keep up the great work and maybe I will need a new pair someday.

Paul Buikema"

web link: http://www.danner.com/contact_customer_testimonials.asp?id=28

Good Boots!

I also cannot wear boots with a tall heel. I have had the same pair of danner Rain forests for 4 years now. Resoled once and I lost count how many laces I have gone through. Water proof and comfy right out of the box. When do I buy a new pair of boots I wont even try any thing else on I will just stick with what I know works well.

maintenance

Also make sure you grease or wax them regulary at least once a month or so. I have found huberds shoe grease and Loggers world wax oil to be the best but I am sure any brand will work. I personally dont prefer mink oil as it seems to weaken the stiching. There's my 2 cents

Ill always stand by my ruff out Whites.
they last me almost a year. rest of them i blow the sides out.

Sorry I looked on the Danner website and for some strange reason the rain forest doesent come with a steel toe. They have a new boot the Quarry that comes with a steel toe but I cant comment on them because I have never even seen a pair. But in my experience I have never seen a bad pair of Danners.

Dan,
I know you just bought a new pair of boots and I hate to spend extra money just like everyone else..... BUT! I don't much care for steel toed boots. There are better alternatives out there. I bet your employer wouldn't care if you had ANSI certified/rated safety toe boots that weren't steel toe.

Steel toes will crush, and take your toes with them. With other types of safety toes (composite) if they get a load on them they can't support, they will crush just like steel toes. However, when the load is removed, they will "pop" back into place, and you still have your toes, albeit, black and blue!:D

Not to mention steel toes are heavy and cold in the winter.....

My last $.02 worth...

Dan

Back