Groundie Boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flo_rida

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good morning everyone.
I work out of Florida, and it is hot and humid. I weigh 190lbs and I have been in tree work for about 3 years now. I like it, but it is hard hard work. I am looking for new boots. I have searched on google for groundie boots, but I am not really having any luck trying to find a good thread on what to wear for groundies. I run my climbers' ropes, operate basic machinery: saws, chipper, etc. I walk around a lot. I am sick of heavy boots. I wear timberland 8 inch lace ups. But, I need something that is lighter, breathable, comp toe, maybe 8" for ankle protection but maybe 6" would work I don't know. I sweat a lot. I am looking to spend between $100-200. I have looked at Brunt, Keen, Timberland, Merrell; I just don't know what to pick. And there are not many places around here to just try boots on. So it will be an online purchase. I read hiking boots are good for groundies. I have a pair of Merrell Moabs that have lasted me since 2018 and they rock; I only use them around the house. Most comfortable things I have ever worn. But it is tough trying to find the same Moab boot from them in a comp toe. I want the comp toe incase of a chainsaw mishap. Not steel toe though.

I hope this is enough info for you all to help me out. Have a great day, and be safe.

Good morning everyone.
I work out of Florida, and it is hot and humid. I weigh 190lbs and I have been in tree work for about 3 years now. I like it, but it is hard hard work. I am looking for new boots. I have searched on google for groundie boots, but I am not really having any luck trying to find a good thread on what to wear for groundies. I run my climbers' ropes, operate basic machinery: saws, chipper, etc. I walk around a lot. I am sick of heavy boots. I wear timberland 8 inch lace ups. But, I need something that is lighter, breathable, comp toe, maybe 8" for ankle protection but maybe 6" would work I don't know. I sweat a lot. I am looking to spend between $100-200. I have looked at Brunt, Keen, Timberland, Merrell; I just don't know what to pick. And there are not many places around here to just try boots on. So it will be an online purchase. I read hiking boots are good for groundies. I have a pair of Merrell Moabs that have lasted me since 2018 and they rock; I only use them around the house. Most comfortable things I have ever worn. But it is tough trying to find the same Moab boot from them in a comp toe. I want the comp toe incase of a chainsaw mishap. Not steel toe though.

I hope this is enough info for you all to help me out. Have a great day, and be safe.
Go to a steel toe hiking boot with nylon on the top side. I climbed with those and did ground work in 100° heat years ago. Best you can find to comfort and avoid waffle treads.

I'd suggest trying out a pair of Vietnam jungle boots. They are comfortable, light, durable, and offer excellent protection for your feet, except that I have never heard of any with steel cap toes. I wore no other kind of boots for many years, and never had foot problems. The vents on the instep will let water pour right into your shoe if you step into deep water, but that same vent lets sweat and humidity get back out, too.

At $60 per pair, how could you go wrong? There are many copies and knockoff available, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Military-Vie...ry+spike+protection,aps,137&sr=8-6&th=1&psc=1

I have a brand new pair of Thorogoods that were ordered by mistake I would like to sell as well as a light worn pair of CAT boots that were bought in an emergency. I have worn Red Wing for 35 years and they are what works for me.

I understand OP that your budget might be tight. I too live in the Southeast. I work in utility power and often have the opportunity to get in a little OT working in the line clearance side. It really would be in your long term foot care and safety to go with a steel toe option.
Steel toe offers the best toe protection option. Yeah they tend to be heavier for sure and in the heat can be uncomfortable, but over 25 years and a couple of incidents later I still got all my toes.
Composite toe caps will not stop a chain. Simple as that. Seen it happen. I have been running Haix Airpower XR200 forestry boots for a while now. Steel toe, class 1 chainsaw stopping fabric inside, easy breathing too. A little more expensive but definitely worth the peace of mind. The factory seconds are a good choice for me. They will last at least 2-3 years and I beat the snot out of mine.

maybe 8" for ankle protection but maybe 6" would work I don't know.

I bought a very well made set of 6" work boot/shoes. I found them to be completely unwearable because they were too stiff, right where my ankle bends. This causes chafing, and still lets tons of sawdust in on my feet & socks.

I'll wear my boots or tennis shoes for cutting or climbing, but not the 6" bootlets.

I wear good quality hiking boots almost all the time. I have Drayer Tango Light boots that I put on for bigger climbs, but often just climb in what I already have on.

I tried Keen a few times. Super comfortable boots, but didn't hold up well. I've had probably 6 pair of Asolo (brand) Neutron (model) boots over the last 10 years. I actually have 2 pair a time. Wear one today and the other tomorrow to give them a chance to dry out which gets me about 2-3 years.

To each their own though as you've seen here. I find them far more comfortable than taller boots, which I've had several pair previously...none of which I'd say I disliked...they just were not as comfortable as these. Not reltaed to boots, but for example, i cannot stand socks that are at or below the top of my shoes. Some people love those little things though.

Of the taller boots, my favorites were probably Red Wing Supersole. There was a pair of Chippewa that were similar, but I liked the Redwing better.

I'm still torn. They say wedge soul is not good for the type of work I do. That I need a 90 degree soul. I have very flat feet. I need comfort. I don't climb ladders all that often. And I'm usually on flat evenish ground. Loggers are too uncomfortable.

I'm still torn. They say wedge sole is not good for the type of work I do. That I need a 90 degree sole. I have very flat feet. I need comfort. I don't climb ladders all that often. And I'm usually on flat evenish ground. Loggers are too uncomfortable.

Fixed.
Unless you just happen to have some spiritual problems related to your footware. :cheers:

I'm still torn. They say wedge soul is not good for the type of work I do. That I need a 90 degree soul. I have very flat feet. I need comfort. I don't climb ladders all that often. And I'm usually on flat evenish ground. Loggers are too uncomfortable.
Yeah, I had a few pair of logger boots, and the high heals are not good on flat ground. I did use them in the mountains and understand where they help there, but even if I get back to hills, I still think I'd rather not high heals.

Yeah, I had a few pair of logger boots, and the high heals are not good on flat ground. I did use them in the mountains and understand where they help there, but even if I get back to hills, I still think I'd rather not high heals.
If I went the jungle boot route, what company is the best to go with?

Fixed.
Unless you just happen to have some spiritual problems related to your footware. :cheers:
I am far from the grammar police but I believe in your rush to correct a member on their grammar you yourself made a grammatical error. I am not familiar with what you deemed as "footware". I do believe you meant footwear. :omg:

Grammar does not involve spelling, nor punctuation.

Spelling errors often find refuge in the realm of linguistic mischief, evading the watchful gaze of the Grammar Police through a crafty disguise of their own. While the Grammar Police are diligent sentinels of grammatical order, they are not equipped to handle the elusive nature of spelling errors.

That being said, I did indeed misspell footwear. In the same fashion, "soul" and "sole" had a similar spelling inversion, probably the result of using speech recognition.

As my mind was speedily constructing my humorous comment, I subconsciously fell into a logical error. The "-ware" suffix often refers to items or articles used for a particular purpose. For instance, "tableware" includes dishes and utensils used for dining, and "software" encompasses programs and applications used for various tasks. By spelling it as "footware," I emphasized the function of the items in question – those designed for the feet.

English is indeed a complex language. After all, we've been assembling it since the Normans invaded England. In 1066 A.D.

Latest posts

Back