JK Boots NOT fitting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonw440

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
People , please be sure and make sure the boots fit perfect on your first day or ask if there is a return or free rebuild if the boots hit your toes after 2-4 weeks(like mine do after 7-8 hours of wearing). I am now having to call Franks boots to build me a new pair of boots that they GUARANTEE to fit with steel toes ALL DAY LONG.
I have talked to Will (wanted to talk to Tim but he was never available anytime I called.) I also got no where with Cody.
Will offered 1/2 off a rebuild to fix the boots even though they say they build in a thumbs width of room at the toes(which mine didn't come with).
Everything else about the boots are great, even my heel slip has started to be less bothersome and the ankle bite is gone.
Its to bad JK boots makes videos that promise the best fitting boots when in reality they fall way short.
I will update on Franks when I get them at the same time period.

Boots don't fit right or comfortably until broken in. Often takes 2-4 weeks at 30-40hrs per week for mine to start feeling good.

How you lace them and fold the "tongue" also make a difference. Did you oil them inside and out AND let it soak in before ever putting them on?

Boots don't fit right or comfortably until broken in. Often takes 2-4 weeks at 30-40hrs per week for mine to start feeling good.

How you lace them and fold the "tongue" also make a difference. Did you oil them inside and out AND let it soak in before ever putting them on?
I have 6 weeks in them. I have been working 4 or 5 days a week 12 hour shift. I folded the tongue like they said too. The boots fit great except for the length. My toes just barely rub at the steel toe. Yes I did oil the insides when I received them. I have oiled the boots three times on the outside.
The rubbing starts around hour 6 or so.

This is not a chainsaw topic at all. I hope the mods move it to an appropriate forum.
None the less this is an unsubstantiated attack on a business.
I was just passing what happened to me that's all. The boots themselves are beautiful and well built for toe protection from saws.
How about some information for future JK boot customers on what to watch out for.

This is not a chainsaw topic at all. I hope the mods move it to an appropriate forum.
None the less this is an unsubstantiated attack on a business.

Boots are part of a complete set of PPE. As such, they seem to me quite appropriate for this forum. There have been quite a few similar threads in this, Arb 101, and the professional forum.

Would you also object to a thread about Chainsaw chaps, or perhaps hearing protection on hard hats?

Take them in to a shoe repair and have them stretched. Simple process , usually can get 1/2 a size more.

Places I've been, they can't stretch a steel-toed boot.

OP: You've covered your bases. Instead of a rebuild, maybe see if they can take a little meat out of the back where the ball of the heel and back of the ankle rest. Whites had to do this for me when they made an error on a custom build. They had a phrase for this, but I don't recall what it was.

I have not had a pair of of JK Boots, but I can vouch for Frank’s Boots being the best pair I’ve had, and them fitting correctly, even with a safety toe. With that said, toe rub on the sides is common with a safety toe, and there’s not much that can be done. Even at Frank’s. The ends of your toes is pretty much them just being a half size or so short.

I agree with this not being chainsaw related, though. This is almost like talking about how ERB hard hats suck and Bullard builds one with multiple sizes that will fit everyone’s head.

UPDATE:
JK Boots has offered a solution to my fitment troubles. So my faith in JK Boots has been restored. (Now for the wait for the fix to arrive on my feet.)
I am just saying they stepped up to fix the problem .They did offer a deal in the end, now I am happy with JK boots.

Update #2
They sent me an invoice for the new pair of boots. They told me a price (materials only should be around this amount)y
The invoice is $135.00 more then what they told me over the phone! Needless to say I am either going with another company or getting store bought boots!

We did measure my feet after work. (12 hours on concrete in a paper mill).
Paid for the boots and still waiting.........

UPDATE#3
I received my 2nd pair of JK boots on Monday. I just got off the phone with Tim at JK Boots to let him know how happy I am with the replacements!
The first pair I had to oil them(with Obenaufs oil) a few times over the first week to soften them up just be able to wear them for a few hours. Then I noticed the length problem(a tad to short as my toes were just touching the front of the boot). No matter what socks I wore the toes would touch after 6 or 7 hours at work)
I got frustrated and gave them to my Nephew (haven't heard from him if he has had any issues).
These boots I received the other day are AMAZING! Straight out of the box they feel PERFECT. I have not oiled them and laced them up tight and NO pain or trouble spots. I know its only been a few hours but compared to the last pair these are keepers. I will update again in a few weeks then in a few months.
jk2.1.jpgjk2.2.jpg
Thanks to Tim and the JK boots crew for making things right!!!

Back