Groundie Boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grammar does not involve spelling, nor punctuation.

Spelling errors often find refuge in the realm of linguistic mischief, evading the watchful gaze of the Grammar Police through a crafty disguise of their own. While the Grammar Police are diligent sentinels of grammatical order, they are not equipped to handle the elusive nature of spelling errors.

That being said, I did indeed misspell footwear. In the same fashion, "soul" and "sole" had a similar spelling inversion, probably the result of using speech recognition.

As my mind was speedily constructing my humorous comment, I subconsciously fell into a logical error. The "-ware" suffix often refers to items or articles used for a particular purpose. For instance, "tableware" includes dishes and utensils used for dining, and "software" encompasses programs and applications used for various tasks. By spelling it as "footware," I emphasized the function of the items in question – those designed for the feet.

English is indeed a complex language. After all, we've been assembling it since the Normans invaded England. In 1066 A.D.
As I have said many times folks need to sloooooooooooooooooooow down, read, think, type, reflect and then post. It works well.

Your mileage may vary.

Why?
Does not catching my errors improve your personal enjoyment of this site? Have I not contributed to your sense of well being with the admission of my spelling error, so providently offered by yourself alone?
Not at all sir, not at all.......

Season 8 Tns GIF by THE NEXT STEP

Grammar does not involve spelling, nor punctuation.

Spelling errors often find refuge in the realm of linguistic mischief, evading the watchful gaze of the Grammar Police through a crafty disguise of their own. While the Grammar Police are diligent sentinels of grammatical order, they are not equipped to handle the elusive nature of spelling errors.

That being said, I did indeed misspell footwear. In the same fashion, "soul" and "sole" had a similar spelling inversion, probably the result of using speech recognition.

As my mind was speedily constructing my humorous comment, I subconsciously fell into a logical error. The "-ware" suffix often refers to items or articles used for a particular purpose. For instance, "tableware" includes dishes and utensils used for dining, and "software" encompasses programs and applications used for various tasks. By spelling it as "footware," I emphasized the function of the items in question – those designed for the feet.

English is indeed a complex language. After all, we've been assembling it since the Normans invaded England. In 1066 A.D.
So wearwolf, warewolf, wherewolf? 🤪

Ummm... Nope!
-ware is a suffix. That means it goes at the end of the base word. So far as I am aware, it never serves as a prefix.

Funny how warehouse workers in a housewares warehouse would disagree

Carry on.

Lowa Zephyr would fit the bill, other than being a bit higher price. They're one of the few European boot makers who make a non waterproof hiking style boot. That's what I wear for about half the year. Great, durable, comfortable boots. https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/task-force-tactical/zephyr-mk2-hi?v=43650
I bought some Lowa a couple years ago for hiking. I run Ariot with hard toes everyday. Not steel, I think it is kevlar or similar. Stitching on the moc type toe rips, but shoe goo takes care of that. The hard toes have saved me from a sore toe a few times. I can post the exact type if anyone is interested. Around $100 2 yrs ago.

THe Lowas are nice, comfortable, but I have not worn them enough to comment on longevity. I think they were around $120 on sale, marked down from $180, I think. I like them!

Longest lasting boots I've had were red wing, from the factory closeout store at Red Wing, MN. Second best was Irish Setter, a redwing hunting boot. I can send the redwings back for repair and new soles/heels for $120, but I can't quite justify that much.

If I went the jungle boot route, what company is the best to go with?

You need solid boots for grounding. Been doing it for 25 years and solid boots with a steel toe will save you. I've been wearing J.B. Goodhue's forever. I'm on about my fifteenth pair of J.B. Goodhue Bionics, and they're almost dead. I have one brand new pair left and that's it. I can't find them anymore. Total bummer, best boots (for me) ever.

Loved the J.B. Goodhue General Five-Stars, but they are useless in the winter. The sole is so hard you're skating as soon as you hit any snow, but I'm guessing that's not a problem for you. In the summer, though, they're like battle tanks on your feet. Glorious!

You get used to heavy boots pretty quick, and heavy means protection. And you definitely want to protect your feet. Jungle boots are great for walking and hunting Charlie, but for work, you need a solid boot.

I have size 10.5B feet. Does anyone know of a safety boot that comes in a narrow width? If I buy size 10.5 it is normally too wide and my feet slide around in the boot. If I buy size 10, my big toe gets pinched.

I have size 10.5B feet. Does anyone know of a safety boot that comes in a narrow width? If I buy size 10.5 it is normally too wide and my feet slide around in the boot. If I buy size 10, my big toe gets pinched.
The last I knew Redwing made B widths. Find a redwing store. They can order a boot for you. I am B width too, but the only B boot I ever found was redwing. In the D with, I put insole liners in so the foot does not slide around. Redwing used to have excellent, though expensive ones, but they dropped them. I don't know if what they sell now is any good.

The last I knew Redwing made B widths. Find a redwing store. They can order a boot for you. I am B width too, but the only B boot I ever found was redwing. In the D with, I put insole liners in so the foot does not slide around. Redwing used to have excellent, though expensive ones, but they dropped them. I don't know if what they sell now is any good.
Thanks. They are very expensive, but may be worth it if it saves my feet. I have used Carhartt, Caterpillar and Timberland brands and a couple of others. Oddly, the Timberlands have been the least comfortable so far. They bend on the instep and that hurts.

I just had a look at the Redwing site. It appears that D-width is the narrowest they make.
I'd still at least call and talk to a couple redwing shops, or call the factory. You might also call the Thorogood factory in WI. RW and TG are the last bootmakers in the USA. For comfort out of the box, the Ariats they don't make anymore and the Redwings were very good. (with inserts) The Wolverine Manawa (china) were very comfortable out of the box with inserts, But the wolverines don't last long. I wore them for many years because one shoestore chain would have buy one, get one sales every year. I'd buy 2 pr for $80 and they'd last 1 yr each. Kinda like buying tires from sams clup. You save a few bux, but have to go back every year because they come apart. When buying boots, consider what the costs are of having to go to a podiatrist. Makes RW or TG look better...

Wolverine are the most comfortable boots I've worn but don't last very long. I spend half my hours on the ground and the other half on spurs or in the bucket. We don't have a mini skid or mini wheel loader so we drag a lot and your body knows it. A few years back I started wearing my climbers everyday and don't mind it at all. I think my back hurts less w/ the logger heal and I'm getting a year out of a pair of carolina's. I do put leather treatment on all my boots every few months.
Not a problem for OP but I think the steel shank makes your feet cold in the morning before u get movin. Wolverines are more comfortable but last maybe 6 months before falling apart.

Latest posts

Back