Bore cutting in-line with the grain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyRumore

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question, but a friend of mine owns a biker bar with a fire ring out back. He prefers to burn old unsplit logs, standing on end, that have a rotten hole through the center....like a chimney/volcano effect out the top of the log. He asked me if I could bore/plunge cut some solid logs to simulate the ones he had with the center rotted out.

Any preferred tequniques for this? I have never had good luck trying to cut down from the end of a log, but I have to admit, I have never tried to plunge cut inline with the grain like this. I am sure one of you wood cutting freaks have tried this before.........:msp_w00t:

Tony

Last edited:
There are some good threads on Swedish candles on this site, I'd paste one for you but I can't in this computer. Search ( my Swedish candle)
Kevin

Isn't it called a Swedish candle if you make some end cuts into the log? A standard filed chain will struggle with that cut, but if you file the cutters 0 to 10 degrees (like a rip chain) it will cut a lot better. Me, I'd probably just noodle the ends of the log, in which case a standard chain would work fine. So have the log horizontal, and noodle through the end with about three cuts, so that the end of the log looks like a * (asterisk).

Full chisel or better, square chisel, non safety chain with little top plate angle. Don't try it with semi-chisel... You'll think the wood is made of concrete.

Oh and be careful! You're guaranteed a few light kick backs.

I tried bore cutting a candle with the 500 and semi-chisel, and I never could get it to bore in, just kept kicking out.

Give up and just noodled it.

I was able to plunge it enough and cut down in the center to put a small hole in it, did seem to help it burn better. Might try drilling a hole in the next one.

Back