Bought a grinder! What other tools are a must have for stump grinding companies?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
an axe is handy too, cuts roots better than a mattock

Get a Pulaski, best of both worlds. 1 of my favorite tools along with a potato fork for moving grindings.
That's a whole lot of crap to go grind some stumps. If my guys are doing the work the truck has all of the cutting/ digging tools you could need but we don't carry replacement parts besides a few teeth, definitely not pipe, wires etc. If I go to do a job by myself I'll take a rake, Pulaski, tater hook and a blower if I need it and that's it unless I know ahead of time I need more stuff.o_O

and regular teeth with pockets on a 1625, works great.

If you need a mechanic get your tools and manual out. Disassemble and reassemble as much as you can when you have a free day. Get the parts numbers off a bunch of parts and see if you can find where to get replacement parts. It's a lot easier and a lot less stressful to figure out when you have time to waste. Don't wait to figure out how to work on your machine when it breaks and you need it to finish a job.

The only thing I can add to the the list is something I made to give me air on the job in case I get a leak in a machine tire or one of my truck or trailer tires. I put one of those clip on air fittings on one end of a 20' coil air hose and a tire inflater on the other end. My truck and trailer tires are all load range E 80 psi. If I get a flat or low tire anywhere I clip on to a trailer tire , usually the spare first and use it to fill the low tire. It has saved me many times.

The only thing I can add to the the list is something I made to give me air on the job in case I get a leak in a machine tire or one of my truck or trailer tires. I put one of those clip on air fittings on one end of a 20' coil air hose and a tire inflater on the other end. My truck and trailer tires are all load range E 80 psi. If I get a flat or low tire anywhere I clip on to a trailer tire , usually the spare first and use it to fill the low tire. It has saved me many times.

If you are using a truck with air brakes, you can get air from the air brake reservoir. Instead of stealing air from your spare, why not just get a little electric tire pump that plugs into the ciggy lighter.

No. No air brakes. Just a standard one ton. I have had several 12v pumps. They do not seem to last. This system is almost no weight or space in my toolbox.

Back