Bought an 088 magnum the other day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex D

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got this 088 magnum with a 36" bar and chain for $200 the other day and the seller even brought it over to my house

Only repairs it needed was a new buffer on the front left side, the trigger cover was replaced as it was loose and the only part remaining to fix or replace is to get a new side cover. However my biggest problem is that the screw that holds the engine cover to the cylinder has its head broken off not sure how to get it out and replaced??

Also I have the serial number of this saw it is 146813553 im thinking this saw is from either the early or mid 2000s as it looks like one of the last or very late model 088s produced just before the switch in naming to ms880 so i was wondering could anyone tell me the exact year and if my estimate is right??

080.jpg picture by stihlman45 - Photobucket

078.jpg picture by stihlman45 - Photobucket

064.jpg picture by stihlman45 - Photobucket

063.jpg picture by stihlman45 - Photobucket

061.jpg picture by stihlman45 - Photobucket

060.jpg picture by stihlman45 - Photobucket

059.jpg picture by stihlman45 - Photobucket

Wow!!! Nice find man saweet saw. The yr somebody here could help ya Im sure, or email Stihl, and they could tell ya with the serial number, nice find thought and the price too.

You done good! $200.00!!! Why was the seller selling it so cheep? Was he the previous owner/user?

Post up a pic of the broken off screw.

Dan

That's the best deal I've heard of a 088 going for. I wish it was me.:cheers:

You done good! $200.00!!! Why was the seller selling it so cheep? Was he the previous owner/user?

Post up a pic of the broken off screw.

Dan

He inherited the saw and a bunch of other tools from his uncle who passed away the saw sat in his garage for 3 years or so he never used it and his wife wanted it gone.

I will try to get a pic up of the screw its just my camera is crappy when it comes to doing pics from up close

Its a helluva of a strong runner i havent put it to some wood yet will do so maybe tom or early sometime next week but it hadnt been run for 3 years he said never turned it on we put some gas mix into it and it fired up on the 5th or 6th pull even though it had been drained of all fluid and hadnt been run for 3 years. Compression is also awesome on it havent put a compression tester but im guessing its over 160 psi everything apart from the aforementioned problems seems to be ok but before i say that i guess i should get that screw out take the cover off and i think i can then get to whatever screws are holding the muffler on as it doesnt have a cover like some other saws rather it seems to be all in one piece and needs to be taken off with the engine cover removed? Once ive taken the engine cover and pulled the muffler off i can then see what shape the piston is in and do a more through inspection

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back