Bought My first ever Cord "GOT Taken To the Cleaners!!!"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By knowing how much you paid the rest of us know that it was to be a full cord. $225 is reasonable for a full cord.
If you paid cash then I think I would consider calling the tax people and let them know that he's selling 300 cord a year at $225 a cord. They might be interested in seeing if they are getting their share of the taxes.

By knowing how much you paid the rest of us know that it was to be a full cord. $225 is reasonable for a full cord. If you paid cash then I think I would consider calling the tax people and let them know that he's selling 300 cord a year at $225 a cord. They might be interested in seeing if they are getting their share of the taxes.

I understand reporting him to the IRS which might open up a case of investigation and if he has a good accountant it may be mute. But how can this help my case? I dont see how any of this may help my chances of re*cooping my money.
I did get a picture of the plate on the truck that delivered the wood and IT had a "Farm plate "on it. Researched it and mentions you cant use it for hire does that mean for another business than farming, is firewood considered farming?

Yup, I agree the money is long gone. I likely would just chalk it up to experience myself but I would make sure that everyone I know who buys wood knows what kind of dealer this guy is. It won't get my money or wood back but will help me sleep better at night knowing that he is getting a little karma.

If he has a Christmas tree farm he may be able to weasel his way around that. In MD big landscapers that are based on a farm, do not qualify for farm tags. I have property in WV and MD and I've "been told" that farm tags have a restriction on how many miles from the farm they are allowed to drive. So, if that's true, and he's from the next town over he may be violating that restriction. There also reaches the point that you're just pumping up your blood pressure, snapping at the wife, and kicking the dog. There is another way to handle this. You can "forgive him his trespasses". Leave a message on his machine, or in person if he answers, that he cheated you, but you forgive him. It may or may not affect him, but if you mean it, it will relieve you of a ton of stress, frustration, and aggravation, Joe.

I understand reporting him to the IRS which might open up a case of investigation and if he has a good accountant it may be mute. But how can this help my case? I dont see how any of this may help my chances of re*cooping my money.
I did get a picture of the plate on the truck that delivered the wood and IT had a "Farm plate "on it. Researched it and mentions you cant use it for hire does that mean for another business than farming, is firewood considered farming?

It's moot, not mute! Well, unless you mean an accountant that can't speak. :p

For hire means hauling loads for others. For example, we contract out equipment moves to a local outfit with a 50 ton lowboy trailer. They work "for hire" when doing that.

A firewood vendor hauling firewood to a customer is "not for hire".

As far as farm tags, it depends on the state.

Well Small claims will cost me $95 to put in an application not to mention all the time and effort and aggrivation. So I am not sure what to do.

Its not easy to put a price on principle. Technically I didn't get all my money back when I sued my chucklehead, but I won on principle.

If you have the texts, any emails, voicemails.... Otherwise it may be best to let it go because it does become a case of "he said/she said."

My solution to all this is to sell by the pickup truckload and explain to the buyer in advance that a truckload is not a full cord. It usually works out to about 75 to 80 cu ft when stacked. So, I simply say that they need to order two truckloads to obtain 1-1/4 cords.

Also, buyers are commonly confused about a face cord vs. a full cord. Many times I have delivered a truckload, and the 8' metal rack they bought at HD or elsewhere overflows with logs. Then they tell me, "I thought you said your truckload was less than a cord. You brought me more." :eek:

Only proper way to settle these things is face to face IMO. I would have been at his place of business tondoscuss it when he was opening the doors. I would have requested the rest of the wood or partial refund.

Latest posts

Back