Dolmar 7900 Recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NGaMountains

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I am a fairly new member and had posted an introductory message several weeks back. I am primarily a firewood scrounger to feed my new Quadra-Fire woodstove insert, and currently have two saws, a Dolmar 7900 and a Husqvarna 543xp purchased here very recently on the Tradin' Post.

The reason for my post is to see what some of you who are much more knowledgeable than I might recommend for modifying the Dolmar, which was bought brand new and is bone stock. Although it seems like quite a nice saw based on my still limited use, it was suggested to me that significantly more power would be available via spending a few hundred bucks to have it ported. At the same time, I had come across an old AS thread I read through where one poster and someone later responding both referred to the 7900 as a "grenade" and suggesting that "it runs great for a few minutes", so would want to make sure anything I did to the saw didn't significantly adversely affect its reliability and durability by stressing it much too highly.

I enjoy coming here regularly to learn from all of you and to take part in what seems like a great group of folks, as compared to forums I've frequented on other subjects where almost everything seems to rapidly descend into arguments and name-calling. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you'd have on modifying the 7900 to be a better saw, or maybe just a recommendation to leave well enough alone (although that would shock me from this group!).

Lastly, I hope this photo of my current woodpile and processing area comes through OK. This is year one for me but I'm trying to get ahead, still not entirely sure how much I'll use in a season. I think I have about 8 to 9 cords of hardwood currently, most all it now split and stacked, and all of it (14 pickup truck loads, at last count) obtained from "Free" craigslist postings.
1z3uy6d.jpg

Ya 7900 is an awesome saw stock. maybe open the muffler a bit.
A ported 7900 just flat screams.
@MillerModSaws has a lot of build videos of 7900 he has built. pretty good little combo you have there. looks like you have some good times ahead.

You need not to worry about a 7900. There's no grenade there. The 7900 is an excellent ported saw and will leave a smile on your face every time. The loggers I have built for report back that the ported version holds up every bit as long as a stock version. But puts a lot more trees on the ground. Lots of threads on the 7900/7910. Read up my man

Not trying to dissuade from anyone here as they are all good builder, but if you want to some more proof of dolmar saws check out hotsaw101 on YouTube, he's got some 7900, 7910, and even a 9010 that are all animals, he's a timber faller by trade and tests all his port work at work. Very impressive as are the other builders here on AS, I don't think you could go wrong with anybody building saws here. Good luck with the 7900 and safe cuttin

It's true that a muffler mod won't do much on these saws, and it can be a real ***** to un-crimp the muffler to pull the baffle... especially since the performance doesn't really change.

I have run my ported 7900 next to another stock one that I had, and there is a big difference betweeen the two.

It's true that a muffler mod won't do much on these saws, and it can be a real ***** to un-crimp the muffler to pull the baffle... especially since the performance doesn't really change.

I have run my ported 7900 next to another stock one that I had, and there is a big difference betweeen the two.
Hi Clint.

Thanks for the info. Do you mind sharing who ported it for you?

Back