Looking for a saw that can handle 30" bar - recommendations???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazon dont care. 99% chance they'll just tell the seller to send you a new saw or they're taking the money out of their next sale and refunding you.

Sellers will often try to find a more agreeable compromise to get you to not demand a refund... not just saws but similar noname appliances, they like to tell you to go buy the replacement part and they'll give you a partial refund reimbursement... bought an air fryer that didn't include any racks (which were listed as part of the items contents) ... asked them to mail me the missing racks... they admit they dont have any... so they're selling basically an oven with no oven racks... and it's a unique dimension, so NOONE sold racks that fit, but they didn't mention that. They offered me a 20% refund to drop it and buy the racks elsewhere... took it not realizing noone made them in those dimensions. Wound up buying oversized ones and cutting them to fit.

as fer patents and copyrights, they are good for 75 years, and the chinese saws are nothing like early japanese stuff, they are shat and not worth wasting time or money on

Patents are valid for 20 years from date of filing. Copyrights are for "creative works" so that's for things like writing and audio and video recordings, not inventions.

Patents have to be filed before they are shown to the public and are often filed well before the product they are in goes on sale. The earlier you file the better for defending the patent in court and it may take a while before something new goes from R&D to production. And often if you have a line of products, many of the patents that cover them were filed for a previous product which contained the first example of that invention. Without doing a lot of patent research I don't know for sure but it's likely that the patents that cover the clone saws all expired some years ago.

I'm not sure I'd call them **** but the ones I have are definitely lower quality than real Stihl products. If I was going to be doing paying work with them there'd be no way I'd use them. As an amateur I can afford to mess around with the saw instead of getting work done. But mine were just problematic enough to make me swear off them.

Patents are valid for 20 years from date of filing. Copyrights are for "creative works" so that's for things like writing and audio and video recordings, not inventions.

Patents have to be filed before they are shown to the public and are often filed well before the product they are in goes on sale. The earlier you file the better for defending the patent in court and it may take a while before something new goes from R&D to production. And often if you have a line of products, many of the patents that cover them were filed for a previous product which contained the first example of that invention. Without doing a lot of patent research I don't know for sure but it's likely that the patents that cover the clone saws all expired some years ago.

I'm not sure I'd call them **** but the ones I have are definitely lower quality than real Stihl products. If I was going to be doing paying work with them there'd be no way I'd use them. As an amateur I can afford to mess around with the saw instead of getting work done. But mine were just problematic enough to make me swear off them.
both patents, and copyrights are valid as long as the product is still being marketed or controlled by the original creator, in this case Stihl USA.
Eitherway, its taking money away from domestic jobs.

both patents, and copyrights are valid as long as the product is still being marketed or controlled by the original creator, in this case Stihl USA.
Eitherway, its taking money away from domestic jobs.
Nope, 20 years is in most cases correct. Disney managed to get specific extensions a time or two up to... I think 100 yrs in certain cases, but eventually even they got stopped... hence the winnie the pooh horror film this year.

Drugs are lower... 10 or 12 years I think but with a loophole that they can basically renew it for longer by making a meaningful improvement... which is why so many drugs add an antacid or anti nausea or whatever as they near end of patent, to exploit the loophole and avoid generic competition.

Nope, 20 years is in most cases correct. Disney managed to get specific extensions a time or two up to... I think 100 yrs in certain cases, but eventually even they got stopped... hence the winnie the pooh horror film this year.

Drugs are lower... 10 or 12 years I think but with a loophole that they can basically renew it for longer by making a meaningful improvement... which is why so many drugs add an antacid or anti nausea or whatever as they near end of patent, to exploit the loophole and avoid generic competition.
no
just no

no
just no
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/USCODE-2011-title35/html/USCODE-2011-title35.htm
I mean... I'm not gonna argue, but you're wrong.

154. Contents and term of patent; provisional rights
(a) In General.—

(1) Contents.—Every patent shall contain a short title of the invention and a grant to the patentee, his heirs or assigns, of the right to exclude others from making, using, offering for sale, or selling the invention throughout the United States or importing the invention into the United States, and, if the invention is a process, of the right to exclude others from using, offering for sale or selling throughout the United States, or importing into the United States, products made by that process, referring to the specification for the particulars thereof.

(2) Term.—Subject to the payment of fees under this title, such grant shall be for a term beginning on the date on which the patent issues and ending 20 years from the date on which the application for the patent was filed in the United States or, if the application contains a specific reference to an earlier filed application or applications under section 120, 121, or 365(c) of this title, from the date on which the earliest such application was filed.

Point taken... but it's kind of answered right?

70+ cc and as nice as you feel like spending the money on.

If you find a good deal on a 661 or 394, cant go wrong. If you dont mind using the made in china knock offs, there a dozen options. If you want something new and brand name... that's a little harder but not impossible.

Me personally, with $1000 budget and what you're looking for usewise... I'd want the best power to weight ratio with easy part availability I could get.

462 is probably up there, but I don't know for sure

Can we get back to my saw search gentlemen? Priorities folks, priorities.

Thanks 👍
Well Sir,

Folks have answered your question. It is up to you to glean out what you want. No one can make the choice for ya. Do not shoot the messenger just because you do not like the message.

Hello all,

Doing some shopping / looking around for a bigger saw (currently my one and only saw is an 18" bar). I don't have a problem with Stihl or Husqvarna but would like to also be looking, for spending purposes, into other brands that are maybe not as well known and therefore hopefully can be found at better prices.

In other words, no brand loyalty here, just looking for a saw that can handle the 30" bar and is recent enough of a model that parts are still available. Appreciate your recommendations / expertise. Thank you.

O.
Its not very safe, but I use a recent reincarnation of an 070. It will easily handle a 30" bar and is almost warmed up by the time I've finished blocking a dozen large Auzzie hardwood logs. Although I haven't needed many, there are plenty of new spares available (in various qualities) at very reasonable prices.

Even if you are cutting up 30" trees only a few cuts will need that much bar. As a home wood heat cutter, the 044 with a 28" bar when needed does the job for me. Full bar cutting hardwood with the 28" is a bit slower than ideal but I can handle that 044 for several hours and not be beat to a frazzle. It mostly wears a 25". Bought the 28" when I had a 4' plus willow to buck up. Got away from using an 066 cuz they are just to big for comfortable use at my age and energy level and really suck fuel.
630032-ddace814533afdc15c32d4043557afee.data

I need to make sure I am understanding you right. You are saying for $50 Amazon will warranty a cheap China 660 for a period of 3 years? If that is true I am on board for that train wreck.
yes according to the info on Amazon's site everything is free from shipping, repairs, parts, and labor. if they can't fix it you will get a refund for the purchase price.

now I have never tested it so I'm just reading the info from amazon.

Well Sir,

Folks have answered your question. It is up to you to glean out what you want. No one can make the choice for ya. Do not shoot the messenger just because you do not like the message.
Not shooting anyone, just wanting to stay on topic.

I'm good with the answers so far -- 70cc saw -- but was hoping for a little bit more on other brands. Someone mentioned Echo. What about an older saw (for example) Homelite XL 903? One popped up for sale locally.

O.

I'm good with the answers so far -- 70cc saw -- but was hoping for a little bit more on other brands. Someone mentioned Echo. What about an older saw (for example) Homelite XL 903? One popped up for sale locally.

O.
Home many cuts there will be approximately? Meaning the case you are willing to buy this big saw for.
Just wondering if less than let us say 100 anything reaching half of the diameter would be ok for me.
Although new noisy things are nice I do admit that.

O.
I never owned a homelite. Growing up, dad owned an 041, and later an 028. Those 2 saws were never in the shop. The guy who owned the farm we hunt and cut on owned 3 homelites. His son in law (our neighbor) owned a homelite, and the neighbors oldest son owned a homelite. Of those 5 saws, it was rare for more than 2 of them to be in running condition at any given time. Thus, today I own 5 Stihls, and a Stihl clone. :) YMMV

cool, don't argue, but do include THE ENTIRE SECTION next time

§155A. Patent term restoration​

(a) Notwithstanding section 154 of this title, the term of each of the following patents shall be extended in accordance with this section:

(1) Any patent which encompasses within its scope a composition of matter which is a new drug product, if during the regulatory review of the product by the Federal Food and Drug Administration—

(A) the Federal Food and Drug Administration notified the patentee, by letter dated February 20, 1976, that such product's new drug application was not approvable under section 505(b)(1) of the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act;

(B) in 1977 the patentee submitted to the Federal Food and Drug Administration the results of a health effects test to evaluate the carcinogenic potential of such product;

(C) the Federal Food and Drug Administration approved, by letter dated December 18, 1979, the new drug application for such product; and

(D) the Federal Food and Drug Administration approved, by letter dated May 26, 1981, a supplementary application covering the facility for the production of such product.

(2) Any patent which encompasses within its scope a process for using the composition of matter described in paragraph (1).

(b) The term of any patent described in subsection (a) shall be extended for a period equal to the period beginning February 20, 1976, and ending May 26, 1981, and such patent shall have the effect as if originally issued with such extended term.

(c) The patentee of any patent described in subsection (a) of this section shall, within ninety days after the date of enactment of this section, notify the Director of the number of any patent so extended. On receipt of such notice, the Director shall confirm such extension by placing a notice thereof in the official file of such patent and publishing an appropriate notice of such extension in the Official Gazette of the Patent and Trademark Office.

Used Stihl 660 or an 064. I've got both. I run a 32" bar with .404 skip. 064 and the 066 handle it well. Or I have an old bunch of Homelites I run with a 30 inch bar with .404 skip. XP1020 is 100cc and the C-7s and C-9s are around 5 cubes. They run Slower, but the bottom end torque is Phenomenal.

cool, don't argue, but do include THE ENTIRE SECTION next time

§155A. Patent term restoration​

(a) Notwithstanding section 154 of this title, the term of each of the following patents shall be extended in accordance with this section:

(1) Any patent which encompasses within its scope a composition of matter which is a new drug product, if during the regulatory review of the product by the Federal Food and Drug Administration—

(A) the Federal Food and Drug Administration notified the patentee, by letter dated February 20, 1976, that such product's new drug application was not approvable under section 505(b)(1) of the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act;

(B) in 1977 the patentee submitted to the Federal Food and Drug Administration the results of a health effects test to evaluate the carcinogenic potential of such product;

(C) the Federal Food and Drug Administration approved, by letter dated December 18, 1979, the new drug application for such product; and

(D) the Federal Food and Drug Administration approved, by letter dated May 26, 1981, a supplementary application covering the facility for the production of such product.

(2) Any patent which encompasses within its scope a process for using the composition of matter described in paragraph (1).

(b) The term of any patent described in subsection (a) shall be extended for a period equal to the period beginning February 20, 1976, and ending May 26, 1981, and such patent shall have the effect as if originally issued with such extended term.

(c) The patentee of any patent described in subsection (a) of this section shall, within ninety days after the date of enactment of this section, notify the Director of the number of any patent so extended. On receipt of such notice, the Director shall confirm such extension by placing a notice thereof in the official file of such patent and publishing an appropriate notice of such extension in the Official Gazette of the Patent and Trademark Office.
Hey if you're taking chainsaws medicinally; more power to you. After some google to clarify better, that's the precursor (now repealed) to the Hutch Waxman act. A 1984 act to let Pharma companies specifically recover time lost during FDA approval to the backend of their patent protections.

Latest posts

Back