Husqvarna 40-50cc saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husky 550, Stihl 261 or echo 501p. Those appear to be the locally available,current 50cc pro saws.

Which will start with one pull when warm without doing anything else like flipping the choke? I’m not thrilled at all with my husky 555 starting when warm and a husky 336 FR brushcutter either.

The echo is about a pound lighter than the other two, I assume because more of it is plastic. Echo doesn’t say if there’s magnesium anywhere.

The 261 would be my pick, but I also have a 261-CM. Shouldn't have to choke the 261 when warm but wouldn't count on any warm saw starting with one pull everytime.

I replaced the carb on my Husqvarna 353, but I doubt that I needed to do that. All I needed to do was clean the final filter screen on the carb. It was packed tight with sawdust grime that got in there after five hard years of running. My error, I should have removed the old carb and checked that before ordering a new carb. Regardless, the saw runs fine once again. It's once again my go-to saw.

Echo’s is a pound lighter, the weight of my 40cc Makita. I’ll have to decide if the refinements of the Husky or Stihl are worth carrying another pound all day.

Husky 550, Stihl 261 or echo 501p. Those appear to be the locally available,current 50cc pro saws.

Which will start with one pull when warm without doing anything else like flipping the choke? I’m not thrilled at all with my husky 555 starting when warm and a husky 336 FR brushcutter either.

The echo is about a pound lighter than the other two, I assume because more of it is plastic. Echo doesn’t say if there’s magnesium anywhere.
It’s got a mag crankcase. Don’t know how they make it so light. Most echos are overbuilt and heavy. The 501 is an oddball in their lineup.

The 261 would be my pick, but I also have a 261-CM. Shouldn't have to choke the 261 when warm but wouldn't count on any warm saw starting with one pull everytime.
He probably means set the choke then push it back in to set the fast idle. And if that is what it takes to avoid a few pulls instead of one setting the chain brake is advisable.

Have no fear of a husqvarna 543. I have run a 545 ark two as well as the 550 mark 2. I like the 545 a bit better than the 550. But whe the log is close to a full cut the 550 extra power shows well. The 543 is a great little saw

Latest posts

Back