Looking for a saw that can handle 30" bar - recommendations???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oifla

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Doing some shopping / looking around for a bigger saw (currently my one and only saw is an 18" bar). I don't have a problem with Stihl or Husqvarna but would like to also be looking, for spending purposes, into other brands that are maybe not as well known and therefore hopefully can be found at better prices.

In other words, no brand loyalty here, just looking for a saw that can handle the 30" bar and is recent enough of a model that parts are still available. Appreciate your recommendations / expertise. Thank you.

O.

Stihl 500i or 462 would run a 30” bar, can’t really recommend anything Husqvarna right now they’re having some problems supplying parts. Echo 7310 would do it but you’ll be pushing the limits of the saw with a 30” bar in my opinion. You want something in the mid to high 70cc range.

Stihl 500i or 462 would run a 30” bar, can’t really recommend anything Husqvarna right now they’re having some problems supplying parts. Echo 7310 would do it but you’ll be pushing the limits of the saw with a 30” bar in my opinion. You want something in the mid to high 70cc range.
MS 460 Stihl, lots of em around as well as lots of parts available. I'm currently using one with a 32" bar for large 3' diameter black oak.

500i or 661 IMO

If you want to look into used saws and have parts availability, stick to Stihl and Husky saws in the 70-90+ CC range and you will generally be good to go. Most of the time though...people think those old saws are worth a fortune and after you buy them, fix them up, and get them running, you could have bought a new saw for almost the same price.

What’s your budget?

Good question. Like most things in our world, money talks loudest.

I've seen several saws in the $1k range and, if necessary I guess I can go that high but I'd like to spend less if possible. This saw won't be an everyday too by any means.

That's why I was asking about lesser known brands, etc.

A deal or found opportunity on something used would be great.

O.

Good question. Like most things in our world, money talks loudest.

I've seen several saws in the $1k range and, if necessary I guess I can go that high but I'd like to spend less if possible. This saw won't be an everyday too by any means.

That's why I was asking about lesser known brands, etc.

A deal or found opportunity on something used would be great.

O.
If your budget is around $1000 then a new Husky 395 is the way to go. It will last forever and you will not be disappointed.

I have bought 12 in the last 18 months.

1697090664460.png

Since it is only a bunch of trees I would not spend 1$. Price per cut is a thing I'd think about.
Farmertech gives you 6 months warranty for saws powerhead IF I understood their website right. This makes 660 clone very reasonable option. Their CS66699PRO is less than 350$. Ok let us assume it loses 15-20% against the real deal MS660. There still is quite a lot capacity left.

Since it is only a bunch of trees I would not spend 1$. Price per cut is a thing I'd think about.
Farmertech gives you 6 months warranty for saws powerhead IF I understood their website right. This makes 660 clone very reasonable option. Their CS66699PRO is less than 350$. Ok let us assume it loses 15-20% against the real deal MS660. There still is quite a lot capacity left.
Find someone who utilized their warranty

Latest posts

Back