Husqvarna 40-50cc saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've owned and used Husky 339xp and 346 xp in the past and currently have an Echo 501P. I like the 501. It's probably the lightest pro 50cc saw. There is a lot of plastic; I guess that helps with the weight. Does seem a bit flimsy compared to other pro saws, but it's held up well for a few years now. Doesn't have the grunt of the 346, but still performs well. I've never used the 550xp. But if the 540xp is anything like the old 339xp, that'd be a winner.

Now you know why I own a Husky 353 and backed it up with a 350. I bought them both used about 10 years ago, spruced them up with a few new parts, and they still run fine today. I think my total cost for both added together was less than $400.

In addition, for $200 I sold my Husqvana 50 last month that I restored for a tree service company owner and he reported back today that this is now his go-to saw. He asked me to make him a pair of new 18" chain loops for it. And the beat goes on...

Pretty happy with the 2 Echo`s i bought. One is the CS-4910-18, the other one is the CS-7310P-20. Both are great saws, in my own opinion. Lots of them where i live. People love the dependability of the Echo brand.

If you want a good dependable 50cc pro saw, go find a CS-4910 before they are gone. The new version, the CS-4920 is not a pro saw, its a homeowner saw now. If you want a little better one than the CS-4910, buy a CS-501P. The 501P is a great saw, with a few minor upgrades that are worth the extra money. The 501P is pretty much the same saw as the CS-4910, with a few added features vs the CS-4910. The CS-4910 use to be the affordable entry level pro saw. Pretty sad Echo stopped making the 4910 and started pushing the 4920 to homeowners.

I use to be a hardcore Stihl guy, but i no longer am after buying my 2 Echo`s. They start great every time. I can depend on them, without emptying my wallet.

Husqvarna saws aren`t popular where i live. Mainly i live in Stihl territory. I`ve never been impressed with Husqvarna`s, they look like cheap quality to me.
Another thing i`m not fond of, is every time i go look at a husky, there`s always a new model(s) way to often.
Owned a 490 for 4 years. I only adjustments were to set idle and bar oil down. 5 yr homeowners warranty.

At this point I am leaning towards the 501p. Price, power, weight, availability.

It seems when the Japanese get around to it they can improve upon anything with an engine made in Europe or the USA. Are those fighting words or just a fact?
Fact. Echo just hasn’t caught up with the mtronic game yet.

Fact. Echo just hasn’t caught up with the mtronic game yet.
Hopefully they can hold off for a while and let Stihl and Husqy lead that front. I’ve no interest in MTronic and its prices. I appreciate that some do, but I can keep a saw in service longer without assistance from anyone longer than a M-tronic system can… fact.

540xp mk3 is 39cc from what I have seen on youtube. Any idea if it comes with a rim drive like the 339xp did? Or the new mini .325 or what?

I think technically it's 40.3 or 40.7cc (possibly to avoid CA's new law banning orders of under-40cc gas motors) with talk they may bump it up a cc.

501p Echo appears of construction people tell me is "pro" level...flat cylinder head for easy machining and easy gasket delete for more compression due to "squish", and a 2-piece (appears to be metal) crankcase for strength and quality. Not sure about transfer ports, but looks to be a good saw.

I'm not a pro, but I play one on this forum. ;)

1687975288211.png

Are Echo’s brushcutter as good as their saws?
Yes. Their trimmers and brushcutters are as good or better than any. Echo isn’t often the first choice for Arborists, but they are for many landscaping businesses. I ran a 2620T cutting brush for a couple of years and it was a good machine. Converted it back to a trimmer and sold it to a lawn guy when I wasn’t using it anymore.

Are Echo’s brushcutter as good as their saws?
I don`t know why they wouldn`t be. I`ve got an old Echo GT-1000 that i bought back in the 1980`s. We still use it to this day for ALL our trimming needs. It refuses to die. Buddy of mine, a 2-stroke guy all of is 70yrs, shakes his head when he pulls it over. He can`t believe the compression is still so very good. It never fails to start, even when the gas has been sitting in it all winter, fires right up every time. For this reason, is why i switched to Echo saws because i can`t afford the Stihl`s anymore. I only have 2 echo saws at the moment, both are pro saws. There will be a couple more added to the arsenal, hopefully soon. These saws start far better than any Stihl`s i have ever owned, or still own at the moment. Lots of Echo saws in my area as well. Not heard a bad thing about them. All the landscape pro`s in my area, all have the Echo brand. Must be a good reason that THEY prefer the Echo`s.

Are you saying I can expect the reliability and longevity out of an echo as I can from a pro Stihl or husqvarna? Any loggers using Echos?

Other features I consider pro are a rim sprocket, availability of bars with replaceable noses.

On the 550 XP Mk II, didn’t Husqy essentially take a step back on the power:weight ratio as compared to the Mk I ?

I recall a time when I was younger when Husqvarna couldn’t wait to brag about their newest designs and the power:weight ratio they had just achieved. I don’t pick up their Christmas Wish Book every year any more, if even still published, and don’t read the latest&greatest news from them on the web routinely. But when I am occasionally around such materials it doesn’t seem like power:weight is still a sell point like it used to be?

Are you saying I can expect the reliability and longevity out of an echo as I can from a pro Stihl or husqvarna? Any loggers using Echos?

Other features I consider pro are a rim sprocket, availability of bars with replaceable noses.
I say you might be able to expect more reliability and longevity. That’s very subjective across different users, but in my hands Echos last longer. First accounts are an Echo cs6700 and a 670 running in production firewood with two Stihl 044’s all bought brand new within about 4 months of each other, all tuned good and rode hard and put up wet. No contest… the Echos lasted longer and the only one worth salvaging after about 3 years of that was the 670, which is on brace post duty to this very day after nearly 20 years. I’ve also still got an Echo cs370 that has not I only been used more than, but seen a few pro Stihls and Husqys come and go.

Now… that doesn’t mean the Echo is going to be the smoothest or fastest cutting. Stihl and Husqy lead the way in performance and power to weight, usually.

Echo is changing constantly but they typically make simpler, less techy, less expensive saws, pound for pound.

They give nothing away in terms of quality. They are built to last.

Echo cs6700 and a 670 running in production firewood with two Stihl 044’s all bought brand new within about 4 months of each other, all tuned good and rode hard and put up wet. No contest… the Echos lasted longer and the only one worth salvaging after about 3 years of that was the 670

What were the problems with the 044s?

Roy

What were the problems with the 044s?

Roy
Not a single real problem. We had run the 044’s before that and knew they were good saws. Running approx 4 REAL hours a day, tank after tank, these saws were worked hard and after about 3 years, they were simply just worn out. We were not into, nor savvy about rebuilding saws.

I really liked Stihl before everything became stratified and M Tronic.

After about 2 years the big Echos just held up better and held compression better. Pistons looked amazing for the amount of hours they had on them, and just less fussy, all together.

We reached for the Echos a lot because back then they were actually smoother than the 044. Not so much nowadays. My newer cs680 uses the same AV as the old 670. I don’t mind it but things have gotten way smoother in the world of chainsaws.

Latest posts

Back