Husqvarna 40-50cc saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhawk23

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi, i am looking for a professional saw to replace a Dolmar/Mikita 421/4300. I don’t want another one because the 3/8 LP chains are a nightmare (see my other threads. and because only consumer grade bars are available for them (see my other threads).

What I like about the saw is the power to weight. It can fell pretty fat trees if it needs to and is light enough to dice up the tops.

I am hoping someone can recommend the best husqvarna that meets my needs. Stihl no longer makes a 40cc pro saw, correct?

Thanks

If you're not set on a Husky, the 50 cc Echo 501P (and 4910 while you can still find them) are even lighter than your Makita. They come stock with .325 chain and reportedly respond extremely well to porting.

I’m not set on Husky but some of the echos I’ve seen look cheap, like prototypes
Pretty happy with the 2 Echo`s i bought. One is the CS-4910-18, the other one is the CS-7310P-20. Both are great saws, in my own opinion. Lots of them where i live. People love the dependability of the Echo brand.

If you want a good dependable 50cc pro saw, go find a CS-4910 before they are gone. The new version, the CS-4920 is not a pro saw, its a homeowner saw now. If you want a little better one than the CS-4910, buy a CS-501P. The 501P is a great saw, with a few minor upgrades that are worth the extra money. The 501P is pretty much the same saw as the CS-4910, with a few added features vs the CS-4910. The CS-4910 use to be the affordable entry level pro saw. Pretty sad Echo stopped making the 4910 and started pushing the 4920 to homeowners.

I use to be a hardcore Stihl guy, but i no longer am after buying my 2 Echo`s. They start great every time. I can depend on them, without emptying my wallet.

Husqvarna saws aren`t popular where i live. Mainly i live in Stihl territory. I`ve never been impressed with Husqvarna`s, they look like cheap quality to me.
Another thing i`m not fond of, is every time i go look at a husky, there`s always a new model(s) way to often.

The Echos are really easy to work on, easy to mod and nearly half the cost of the big boys. Tree service I do saw work for has been transitioning from Stihl to Echo in the last year.
Starting to see the same in my area. The Echo`s are replacing the Stihl`s.

I`ve asked a couple tree service folks in my area why the switch. "they don`t break, they are very dependable, and cost far less than a stihl"

Kinda the way i see it. Why spend more money when you can spend less, and have very good quality AND dependability.
I`ve got an old Echo GT-1000 weed trimmer that i bought back in the 80`s. We STILL use it to this day, NEVER been torn apart. It just won`t die.

Husqvarna 550 XP MKII or Stihl MS 261 are your options if you want to go with the big brands. Both are about as good as each other.

I like Echo saws. I run them next to my Stihl 261 and Husqy 395. I don’t think they give up anything in the way of quality or dependability to the big two and I’ve even found them to be more reliable and trouble free, while being a little less impressive Power wise.

The Stihl 261 has been a good saw but in hindsight I would have saved money and bought an Echo 590. I just don’t get all the 261 hype, especially for the current prices.

I love my Husqy 395 but it just is what it is… a huge saw that handles huge work.

I’ve liked everything about every 3 series Husqy saw I’ve ever handled.

I’ve recently had to do some work on a Husqy 460 Rancher and it’s a decent saw but they are all getting so expensive!

The Echo 50cc pro build saws are light and very good. You can’t go wrong with them. They are super ugly though. Lol.

Starting to see the same in my area. The Echo`s are replacing the Stihl`s.

I`ve asked a couple tree service folks in my area why the switch. "they don`t break, they are very dependable, and cost far less than a stihl"

My experience was the same with a local tree cutting service in TN a few years ago...they liked Echo. I think they mostly used Echos except for maybe a few select saws. I think they may have a 500i now.

Latest posts

Back