Looking for a saw that can handle 30" bar - recommendations???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not very safe, but I use a recent reincarnation of an 070. It will easily handle a 30" bar and is almost warmed up by the time I've finished blocking a dozen large Auzzie hardwood logs. Although I haven't needed many, there are plenty of new spares available (in various qualities) at very reasonable prices.

I've got a copy 070 I mill with a bit. Had to buck firewood for my FIL with it a month or two ago because my lil Homelite carb was wonky and it died on me after 5 minutes... it was exhausting. Keep in mind it weighs about TWICE what some of the other saws being considered do.

I would not recommend a saw that heavy for much other than milling or maybe felling massive trees?

WRT to older saws... as someone who has bought a bunch of older saws lately... I'd look at one thing before even considering an older saw... parts availability. Go to eBay/google shopping tab and see if there's a bunch of XL 903 compatible parts listed... any important parts missing from the results?

I'm good with the answers so far -- 70cc saw -- but was hoping for a little bit more on other brands. Someone mentioned Echo. What about an older saw (for example) Homelite XL 903? One popped up for sale locally.

O.
I have been fixing up some older saws in the 70-80cc class lately. One thing you will notice immediately is that these old saws have no creature comforts like anti-vibration mounts and beyond a certain age no chain brake and no automatic oiler. I don't know what your age and health are like but a 70cc all metal saw with no AV will be uncomfortable for a lot of people to run for extended periods.
That Homelite you are looking at has no AV and no brake. Being an old saw it's also a "pig in a poke". Is it ready to cut wood today, or will it need some work?
I recently bought a Pro Mac 700 for $50 which fits your criteria well. No AV but does have a brake. Classic barn find with a 1/4" of dust and bird poop on it. It might have started right up with a new plug and fresh gas but I didn't even bother pulling the rope. I bought it for a project with the intention of using it when it's done. If you are willing to tinker an older saw might be a great option. Personally, I would hold out for something with a brake and oiler. A guy near me has a pretty nice looking 80cc Echo but it's probably 35 years old and he wants $500 for it. In my area, this is a common problem. People expect way to much for larger saws.

Speaking of Echo, I have a few Echos and I really like them. But a new 7310 is about $1k. You can still find 680p's at some retailers but I think that will be around $700. Are these an excellent bargain for a pro level saw, or are they overpriced for a homeowner saw? The debate goes on. Probably more than you want to spend, either way.

cool, don't argue, but do include THE ENTIRE SECTION next time

§155A. Patent term restoration​

(a) Notwithstanding section 154 of this title, the term of each of the following patents shall be extended in accordance with this section:

(1) Any patent which encompasses within its scope a composition of matter which is a new drug product, if during the regulatory review of the product by the Federal Food and Drug Administration—

(A) the Federal Food and Drug Administration notified the patentee, by letter dated February 20, 1976, that such product's new drug application was not approvable under section 505(b)(1) of the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act;

(B) in 1977 the patentee submitted to the Federal Food and Drug Administration the results of a health effects test to evaluate the carcinogenic potential of such product;

(C) the Federal Food and Drug Administration approved, by letter dated December 18, 1979, the new drug application for such product; and

(D) the Federal Food and Drug Administration approved, by letter dated May 26, 1981, a supplementary application covering the facility for the production of such product.

(2) Any patent which encompasses within its scope a process for using the composition of matter described in paragraph (1).

(b) The term of any patent described in subsection (a) shall be extended for a period equal to the period beginning February 20, 1976, and ending May 26, 1981, and such patent shall have the effect as if originally issued with such extended term.

(c) The patentee of any patent described in subsection (a) of this section shall, within ninety days after the date of enactment of this section, notify the Director of the number of any patent so extended. On receipt of such notice, the Director shall confirm such extension by placing a notice thereof in the official file of such patent and publishing an appropriate notice of such extension in the Official Gazette of the Patent and Trademark Office.
It might be a good idea to start a new thread about patent law and argue about it there.....................instead of here.

This saw, a Makita 6401, also pulls a 30" bar:
1697237395156.png
That's a 36" bar that I used with it. I worked with Kenneth Miller (The Weekend Lumberjack) to upgrade the engine with a Big Bore Kit. Tomorrow I will use it with a 30" bar to buck and noodle cut big oak for splitting into firewood. I am not sure why, but unfortunately this saw is no longer sold.

This saw, a Makita 6401, also pulls a 30" bar:
View attachment 1119543
That's a 36" bar that I used with it. I worked with Kenneth Miller (The Weekend Lumberjack) to upgrade the engine with a Big Bore Kit. Tomorrow I will use it with a 30" bar to buck and noodle cut big oak for splitting into firewood. I am not sure why, but unfortunately this saw is no longer sold.
It is and isn't. https://www.makitatools.com/products/tools/gas/outdoor-power-equipment/chainsaws . The 7300 and 7900 are still made.

I'd not personally want to put a 32" b/c on a 70cc but thats just me. I'd be looking 80+ and leaning more to the 90cc+ saws. Brand doesn't really matter, so long as it's one of the "popular" ones. Stihl, husqy, Echo, jonsred.... the list could go on and on. Cheap, means old or China. I don't personally care which you pick. Just stick to a well known model with good parts support.

I've been shopping too. The echo 7310 is about 1000 seems like a lot of people like it, it's a bit heavier then others. The husky 572 around 1200 but dealer would knock 15 percent off . I've always ran Stihl and lean that way. The 462 feels really nice at about 1250 but the 500i really felt nice. Watching videos the 462 and 500i seem to run pretty close. The 500 seemed more balanced but may have been the light bar which the 462 didn't have. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, see which one feels best and which brand has a good dealer near you

I'd not personally want to put a 32" b/c on a 70cc...............................
I have cut trees using a 32" on a 044. About 23 years ago I bought a Husky 272 from the elusive "SawKing" It had a 32" running. 404, I put a 16" on it. I put a 16" on one of my 3120's..............what a dog... I have bars up to 72" .

With all that being said a 20-24" will cut nearly everything a guy needs to cut.

I have cut trees using a 32" on a 044. About 23 years ago I bought a Husky 272 from the elusive "SawKing" It had a 32" running. 404, I put a 16" on it. I put a 16" on one of my 3120's..............what a dog... I have bars up to 72" .

With all that being said a 20-24" will cut nearly everything a guy needs to cut.
Lots of preference going into b/c selection, I'd feel like I was dieing of old age with a 32" buried in oak or locust with a 70cc saw. Most guys run 20/24" on a 70cc saw around here. Then we jump up to the bigger saws for longer bars. Keep a 36" on the 390xp 40" on the 394xp. Having said that, most the time I find a 20-24" works just fine for about 75% of the tress I deal with, even if a second pass is nessisary.

Lots of preference going into b/c selection, I'd feel like I was dieing of old age with a 32" buried in oak or locust with a 70cc saw. Most guys run 20/24" on a 70cc saw around here. Then we jump up to the bigger saws for longer bars. Keep a 36" on the 390xp 40" on the 394xp. Having said that, most the time I find a 20-24" works just fine for about 75% of the tress I deal with, even if a second pass is nessisary.
We run 24" and cut any tree that is to be logged

Pretty much anything from a mid 70cc type saw and up will do it, doesn't have to be new, doesn't have to stretch your budget- just has to go- or be an easy enough repair.
In other parts of the World they are still making iconic bigger saws like the 288XP- so parts are still available that are not duboius aftermarket.
So a saw from 181SE through to 288XP has good support and is capable of doing what you want for possibly little outlay of cash?
064 Stihl is another very good secondhand option.
Cool option might be something oddball that sleeps under the radar- like an Echo 900 EVL, those things will out long bar an MS 660 any day of the week.
I love my Echo 900-EVL and every time I dig it out someone asks, what is that thing?

Thanks all for your input. After some comparison shopping and rethinking things, I ended up with a Husqvarna 372xp with a 24" bar. It's a good complement to my 346xp (which I will now scale down to a 16" bar). Older used saws didn't make sense (parts issues plus a lot of what's for sale is either beat to s#it or just expensive relative to price of new, inflation included). Looked at Echo but the Husky was on sale 15% off.

Thanks again all

O.

I love my Echo 900-EVL and every time I dig it out someone asks, what is that thing?
I'm fond of mine too, but certain parts are unobtanium. I gave up after months of looking and was getting ready to weld/patch the broken muffler on mine... dumb lucked into one listed as a lawnmower part. But that was after way way too much time spent searching.

Thanks all for your input. After some comparison shopping and rethinking things, I ended up with a Husqvarna 372xp with a 24" bar. It's a good complement to my 346xp (which I will now scale down to a 16" bar). Older used saws didn't make sense (parts issues plus a lot of what's for sale is either beat to s#it or just expensive relative to price of new, inflation included). Looked at Echo but the Husky was on sale 15% off.

Thanks again all

O.
You made a very wise choice!

Thanks again all

O.
I think you made a great decision.
Thats a very solid saw with great parts availability and is a good step up from the 346xp.
I think for the vast majority of people you couldn't really do better for a 2 saw plan.

Thanks again all

O.
Good choice! If you DO ever run across something that you're 24" bar can't quite handle, you can put a 32" bar with a semi or full skip chain on it. Much cheaper than buying an entire saw, and much lighter than lugging around a 90cc saw and an extra 8" of bar the rest of the time.

Latest posts

Back