Looking for a saw that can handle 30" bar - recommendations???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Find someone who utilized their warranty
I've never had to use there warranty but I wouldn't except much either. If I wanted the saw to have a warranty I would purchase the farmertec saw through amazon and buy there 3 year 3rd party warranty for 50 bucks suppost to cover everything parts, labor, shipping.

I've never had to use there warranty but I wouldn't except much either. If I wanted the saw to have a warranty I would purchase the farmertec saw through amazon and buy there 3rd party warranty for 50 bucks suppost to cover everything parts, labor, shipping.
For how long

Sir,
The saw you are talking about is in China. Even in the USA warranties are not worth digital lines they are typed in.
You are 100% right. So from Amazon is only reasonable option together with purchased warranty.

I have a Farmertec G660. I mainly run a 28" bar on it with 404 chain, but I do have a 42" bar that I use on it once in a while. I think it's an ideal fit for your need BUT you MUST be willing to wrench on your own equipment. Before you even start it up, there are a few things that are worth replacing. First, throw away all the loos fasteners that came with the saw. These are for attaching the handle and felling spikes. Go to a Stihl dealer and buy OEM. Second, while you're at the OEM it would be a good idea to pick up a chain tensioner assembly and a starter pawl and replace those as well. Once you start the saw, make sure it oils. Some of them didn't have a very strong oiler. IF You replace the oiler pump, get a high output version so that you have it if you need it because a 660 will run a MUCH bigger bar and it's better to have the ability an not need it than need it and not have it. While you're replacing the pump, go ahead and order a new clutch from Hyway for it and replace that while you're at it. I also ordered one of their DP mufflers for mine. Once you have the right parts installed, you will want to re-tune the carb because its set really rich from the factory.

All told, the total cost for these parts is less than $100. None of these parts are difficult to install. I've done them all on the tailgate of my truck. If you don't want to go through the effort, you could have someplace like smelter city saws (bluesaws.com) do it for you. Either way, you're into a 90cc saw for WAY less than a $1k (as in half). For an occasional use big saw, this is about the only financially feasible option IMHO. If I were making money with it, I'd either buy a MS661, or buy the clone and then save up the money to replace it with an OEM as soon as I could.

Used to run an 039 with a 32" bar, until I put it in a wood splitter and let it eat... pulled that bar fine with a sharp chain.
Even seen guys use an 026 with a 32" bar
Its not ideal but you don't necessarily need big cc's to run big bars, it helps though.
The 500i and ms661 are both good options, but you get what you pay for and you will pay...
The ms362 will pull a 30" bar all day, the saw I keep in the log truck is an older 036 and it wears a 28"
I'm not sure If Makita/Dolmar/Sachs is still making the bigger saws, but if you can find one they are skookum as frig too and cheaper then Stihl/Husky
As for the Farmtech/chinese copy right infringement saws, they are shite, and not worth giving money to china

I got the Chinknesium G660, I've only ran a 25" Bar with some hard use, but haven't had an issue other than replacing the Clutch Springs.

Mad3400

There's a reason for that. The 660 has a pretty well known reputation for burning up cylinders and not lasting too long. At least in these parts. There might be more of them around, too, which will drive prices down.

I have been very disappointed in some of the ones I owned. I do believe the newer ones are better than the older variations.

The only issue I've had with the 046/460 is that around here on the used market, they cost more than an 066/660 in similar condition.
I built mine from a stash of parts with a Meteor top end, total cost was under $300. Already ran over 10 tanks of fuel through it and it run flawlessly.

Used to run an 039 with a 32" bar, until I put it in a wood splitter and let it eat... pulled that bar fine with a sharp chain.
Even seen guys use an 026 with a 32" bar
Its not ideal but you don't necessarily need big cc's to run big bars, it helps though.
The 500i and ms661 are both good options, but you get what you pay for and you will pay...
The ms362 will pull a 30" bar all day, the saw I keep in the log truck is an older 036 and it wears a 28"
I'm not sure If Makita/Dolmar/Sachs is still making the bigger saws, but if you can find one they are skookum as frig too and cheaper then Stihl/Husky
As for the Farmtech/chinese copy right infringement saws, they are shite, and not worth giving money to china
You don't need a lot of CCs, but you DO need an oil pump that will provide enough oil to the bar. You may have seen a guy running a 32" bar on an 026, but that chain was not long for this world because there's no way the oil pump on that saw is going to keep up with a bar and chain that long. An 036/361/362 would likely oil a 28" bar, but I'd be surprised if they will do anything longer without an upgrade to the oil pump (which is an option). If you really only need to clean up a couple of trees (ie a one time deal), this is a pretty good option. It won't be fast, but it will get the job done eventually.

As far as the clones go, I think you're talking about the patents, not copy rights. Those patents have expired, just like the patents on the original circular saws, combination wrenches, electric drills, ect. People used to make the exact same comments about buying products from Japan. Now Japanese products are considered to be some of the highest quality products in the world. These days, almost everything you buy has something in it that came from China. The clone saws are fantastic for what they are. They are NOT an out of the box replacement for an MS660, MS880, 395xp. They ARE a great option for someone who occasionally could use a 70cc - 90cc saw, but doesn't have enough work for them to justify spending over $1K, and is not likely to EVER do enough work with one to wear out a new saw to begin with. I will say that I'd rather have a new Farmertech than an old Stihl only because with the new Farmertech, I'm getting all new rubber, where as with the old Stihl, at some point I'm going to have issues with the rubber cracking and causing air leaks. Been there, done that. I prefer not to start down a path like that again if I can avoid it.

Personally I'd go for an old stihl 088 (120cc) or the Husqvarna equivalent. The tons of power is ideal for occasional big stumps and blocking up big logs into burnable sizes. I prefer it for this to my 460.

You don't need a lot of CCs, but you DO need an oil pump that will provide enough oil to the bar. You may have seen a guy running a 32" bar on an 026, but that chain was not long for this world because there's no way the oil pump on that saw is going to keep up with a bar and chain that long. An 036/361/362 would likely oil a 28" bar, but I'd be surprised if they will do anything longer without an upgrade to the oil pump (which is an option). If you really only need to clean up a couple of trees (ie a one time deal), this is a pretty good option. It won't be fast, but it will get the job done eventually.

As far as the clones go, I think you're talking about the patents, not copy rights. Those patents have expired, just like the patents on the original circular saws, combination wrenches, electric drills, ect. People used to make the exact same comments about buying products from Japan. Now Japanese products are considered to be some of the highest quality products in the world. These days, almost everything you buy has something in it that came from China. The clone saws are fantastic for what they are. They are NOT an out of the box replacement for an MS660, MS880, 395xp. They ARE a great option for someone who occasionally could use a 70cc - 90cc saw, but doesn't have enough work for them to justify spending over $1K, and is not likely to EVER do enough work with one to wear out a new saw to begin with. I will say that I'd rather have a new Farmertech than an old Stihl only because with the new Farmertech, I'm getting all new rubber, where as with the old Stihl, at some point I'm going to have issues with the rubber cracking and causing air leaks. Been there, done that. I prefer not to start down a path like that again if I can avoid it.
meh, technically i still have that 32 i ran on the 039, it went to an 046, then my first 461, got fabricobbled into a homemade light bar until it got wore out enough to stop holding the chain straight....

as fer patents and copyrights, they are good for 75 years, and the chinese saws are nothing like early japanese stuff, they are shat and not worth wasting time or money on

Pretty much anything from a mid 70cc type saw and up will do it, doesn't have to be new, doesn't have to stretch your budget- just has to go- or be an easy enough repair.
In other parts of the World they are still making iconic bigger saws like the 288XP- so parts are still available that are not duboius aftermarket.
So a saw from 181SE through to 288XP has good support and is capable of doing what you want for possibly little outlay of cash?
064 Stihl is another very good secondhand option.
Cool option might be something oddball that sleeps under the radar- like an Echo 900 EVL, those things will out long bar an MS 660 any day of the week.

I keep a few around......................

View attachment 1119281
So do I, Bill. I think it depends a lot on (1) how much OP wants to spend and (2) whether he can accept a strong but vintage chain saw. I own three saws that can easily pull a 30" bar. I do not own a Stihl 661 or 500I but I know that they can. So can a Husqvarna 394 and a few other models, but they are hard to find because their owners hang onto them forever.

Latest posts

Back