Bought New Saw Today MS660 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVBartMan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I purchased today a new Stihl MS660 Magnum with a Dual Port Cover exhaust and High Output Bar Oiler fitted with a 36-inch Light Bar with 5-chains along with a 20-inch bar so I can use my chains from my MS362 when needed. Thank you to all that post on here because I read almost all articles before making the decision to purchase this saw. Below are a few pictures where I talked my wife into putting on some gear for photo's, and yes she's not happy about posing for the pictures, I told her it was just for me.

View attachment 246470

View attachment 246471

Last edited:
660 is hard to beat IMO. I love mine to death and it's never let me down. Here's a pic of mine with a 32" Tsumura light bar.

attachment.php

Nice saw. If you hear that thing fire up in the middle of the night, run - as it can only mean that your wife discovered the unauthorized picture sharing. Ron

First thing I would do is open up the stock outlet as much as the deflector will allow. Mine runs really well with the outlet opened up and the dual port.. The throttle response was the biggest thing I noticed. That, and the wicked sound they make. There's something about that dual port cover that really makes a 660 sound great. I think it must be the exhaust deflecting off that front cover that gives it that good sound because I've heard muff modded 660s with the stock cover and they don't quite sound as good IMO.

Nice saw, From what I hear that 36 ES Light weighs the same as a 25 ES. Even though I just bought my 441 a couple months ago, I am in a bit of CAD kind of mood lately lol. I mean I have a couple hundred bucks around and I "want" but can see a "need" to maybe put money down on a 660R :hmm3grin2orange:

As much as I love the saw (I tried buying one, guy lost the check :wink:, cost me $31), I'm liking that cherry cabinet into the dining room thing. Nice.

Been there done that cant say it does jack #### but make the saw very loud ,could not feel any more power if anything lost a little bottom end grunt ,i think the stock dual port is fine on a stock saw ..but maybe the aussie and US 660 is nothing alike?:confused: didnt take me long to go looking for a stock dual port cover in the parts bin but thats just me :)

I was'nt talking about opening the Dp cover. I was referring to the STOCK outlet on the muffler itself. I don't know how y'alls are over there, but here the hole is'nt even 1/2" round. I never do anything to the DP cover.

Congradulations on the new saw! The 660 is the gold standard that other modern saws of similar size are judged by. I always love to run mine, keeps a grin on my face. If it gets out that you posted the pictures, tell your wife we all think she looks HOT with the saw and gear. That might make it go easier for you

Steve

I showed my wife, and she goes, "Wow that saw is big." And I was thinking, "Well it's a 660 with a 36" ES. WV BartMan's wife is about 5'1" or 2". Hey you are 5'2" and we have one of those saws....."

I opened the dual port up as much as would allow and the original opening on the right side. It doesn seem to help them breathe when ported. Not sure about a stock saw. I did put a 288 deflector on the left side of the last 066 I owned instead of buying a dual port front for it.

Latest posts

Back