bought stihl 066, did I get a lemon?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the guy said he "had a new head gasket put on a couple seasons ago. the guy at the saw shop said the jug and piston is like new". like i said it lookes like the muffler was ported, so wasn't sure if it could be as simple a loose exhaust gasket. i thought the compression was good (is 155 psi good?) but then got worried that he packed it with a bunch of goop to get it to seal up temporarily. i can take better pics of the piston if you want. besides compression, what is a good gauge of how much life is left in a saw? this is the first chainsaw i have really taken apart. (lots of other motors and such, btw - i resent the jeep comment! :)) what else can i do to help this thing last? i am not planning on using it for an everyday saw, but i would like it to be dependable enough that when i do go to use it for a day, i know it will run.

originally, i paid $300 for it, but the guy stiffed me on the 20 inch bar that was to be included, so paypal gave me $45 back. i didn't steal it, but i think (i'm hoping) i did ok. like i said i don't plan on using it for an everyday saw. actually i was set on getting the 361, but now am thinking the 260 would be a good compliment for this saw, assuming this one is decent... but choosing the new saw is another thread!

thanks
shawn

Mineral spirits, naphtha, paint thinner, or gasoline work very well with a small brush for cleaning saw gunk. All can be purchased cheaply and used over and over again or left evaporate.

Your saw looks like many other used saws. Clean it, get a new muffler gasket. Flush out the oil tank and gas tank. Change the fuel filter and fire it back up.

Good luck they are a great saw.

Justsaws said:
Mineral spirits, naphtha, paint thinner, or gasoline work very well with a small brush for cleaning saw gunk. All can be purchased cheaply and used over and over again or left evaporate.

Your saw looks like many other used saws. Clean it, get a new muffler gasket. Flush out the oil tank and gas tank. Change the fuel filter and fire it back up.

Good luck they are a great saw.

Sounds good, Looks like that would get you on the right track.
Hmmmm sounds like the same thing I did to my 76cj5

diesel fuel also works well to clean the sooty, burnt oil gunk.

But I recommend some purple cleaner mixed about 50/50. It cleans most saws right up. The area behind the clutch normally looks like that if the saw is never taken apart to be cleaned. No biggie

300 bucks for an 066, I'd say you got a decent deal. 155psi? that is almost like new.

I'd clean it, do as just saws said and maybe even put a carb kit in it for many more years of service.

Man, that saw is duuuurty!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont think Ive ever personally seen one that messy. I know after 20 years of work, I completely went through my dads XL, but there was no sap or oil buildup, just the case was packed tight with oil/chip cement..:laugh:

Id strip it as far as I could, and take the carb/ignition off, and anything else. Then Id stuff cloth in the ports, and soak the case in Greased Lightning or Simple Green, then pressure wash the thing. Id be prepared for some paint to chip off, but thats no biggie.

Just dont force water into the engine, basically concentrate on the case.

Alot of people forwn on pressure washing saws...but its just water, and some compressed air, and WD-40 does wonders to remove all traces of mosture.

I cleaned my Poulan 306A like this.

I removed the ignition, carb, covers, flywheel, clutch, bar/chain, muffler...then sprayed it every 5 minutes for a half hour with Simple Green Automotive, then pressurewashed it with a 10 * tip, 2400 PSI. Then sprayed the motor down with WD-40, and gave it a thorough blowing off with compressed air, and it cleaned up like new. Put it back together, and it fired right up.

thanks for all the replies. so i am planning on picking up a new exhaust gasket, i already replaced the filters. someone said to flush out the oil and gas tanks. what is best to flush them with? i would think they will be a bit tougher. also, does anyone have a schematic for the wiring? the red eye doesn't work (the wires are just dangling).

thanks all
shawn

coveredinsap said:
They make a special spray cleaner/degreaser for the Paslode cartridge/cordless nail guns that is friendly on plastic and seals and made for removing the nasty residue left from the ignition/detonation of gasses in the cordless guns. Sold under the 'Paslode' label, it is just like brake cleaner but friendly on plastics and rubber. Home Depot sells it, so I imagine that anywhere that sells the Paslode guns should have the cleaner. Excellent degreaser too.

Here's the stuff:
http://www.absolutehome.com/web/cat...ls-58164&cid=98D17B5C119E866C41E57DC36DE25E9E

Btw, I've been using WD40 on my paslodes for years, works fine and is cheaper.

Back