Boyd's open house April 4th

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan to be there. Now that the ground is firming up, I might just get enough gas thru the 7300 to take it in for a quick checkup next Friday. Today was the first day I cut any wood since the GTG.

Yup we'll be there for sure. I just hope I don't get motion sickness driving that simulator again. :jawdrop:
He will have some demo saws available that day too! Should have a 7900,7300,5100,420,401 dolmars and 2171 and maybe a 2153 jreds to try out.
He should have some good specials that day too! I think my sister needs a 5100:chainsaw:

hey Heavy, I tried to send you a reply the other day but a case of fat fingers, small laptop, the morning rush and things got lost.

I went to Boyds and got a 5100 last week, this week I went back and got a 3410 top handle. I had a half dozen tanks of gas through the 5100 so I took it back for a quick check on the tach. I need to clean out some of my chainsaw collection and then I'm going to replace them with a 7900.

I'm going to try to go to the open house, hopefully a friend will ride allong and bring home his own 5100. Everyone who runs it has the same opinion and now wants one.

I have one of those DTI tachs on the way, had to get a muffler for my friends 2159 Jonsered and Amicks had the items. THe 064 that I had at the GTG idled fast comeing out of the cut and wouldn't respond to any adjustments. There's a steel ring cast in the magnesium crankcase that the berring is pressed in. The ring was spinning and eating away at the case. I was lucky to round up a good case and some other items at a minimal price, a few new seals and gaskets, carb kit etc. and she's like new and stronger than ever.

I can do that, but I don't know if I can bring the car, my wife may need it. The crop insurance company was generous so I picked up a 2006 Duramax all loaded up, traded the other one off as it has been around the block a time or two and had some hard days.

I'll bring the 3410 allong so there's one there to demo if someone wishes, I'll try to round up some 3" to 12" logs and throw in the truck also. I ran a couple tanks of gas through it cutting up some large oak blocks for firewood to work it hard for an extended time and then limbed up a tree or two. It took a long time working it hard in the big wood to burn up the 9 oz of gas it holds, I'd think I can do light trimming forever without running out of gas.

I really like the 3410, and it's got adequate power. It's not nuts like a 5100 or 7900 but one wouldn't want it to be holding it with one hand. It will rip through a 10" oak log fairley quick with the narrow kerf. I could use a small saw to keep in the truck toolbox or with us when harvesting crops so this thing is perfect. There's so many times that I can't get high enough with the skid steer bucket to trim when we are clearing fence lines and fields. I need to get some climbing spikes and rope and teach myself how to climb.

:ices_rofl::ices_rofl: I was talking about the simulator car called "The Beast". If it's a nice day he'll have it set up outside. If it's not so nice they will have it in their shop. I think the best time of the day gets a prize.
Ya, bring the 3410. I'd like to try it out a little.

Hi Marty, glad to hear you got the 064 figured out and fixed before it melted.
From the way it was running a guy knew it had an air leak, but that wouldn't have been my first guess.

Randy.

I went to Boyds and got a 5100 last week, this week I went back and got a 3410 top handle. I had a half dozen tanks of gas through the 5100 so I took it back for a quick check on the tach. I need to clean out some of my chainsaw collection and then I'm going to replace them with a 7900.

I'm going to try to go to the open house, hopefully a friend will ride allong and bring home his own 5100. Everyone who runs it has the same opinion and now wants one.

Sounds like CAD to me. Craving Another Dolmar!:cheers:

I plan to be there. Now that the ground is firming up, I might just get enough gas thru the 7300 to take it in for a quick checkup next Friday. Today was the first day I cut any wood since the GTG.

" Quick checkup " ?

What you meant to say, was " quick trade up ", to a 7900. Right?

" Quick checkup " ?

What you meant to say, was " quick trade up ", to a 7900. Right?

No need for that yet, can't get the goofy grin off my face every time I run the 7300 yet! Made a bunch of "Dolmar Ramen" last evening:

attachment.php

I think my next purchase is either a 5100 or a trimmer/brush saw combo, but I haven't started looking real hard yet. Next saw project is to get the 261 running.

I'll try to make it but a few things have came up, and I should be in the shop. Lots of parts to make, rifle barrels to fit and tractors needing repair.

JD, can you bring the tach, or if we can use Boyd's for a minute I'd like to check 2 saws and give them a quick adjustment. I ordered the same tach from Amicks but it's back ordered and not here yet.

I was hopeing to get a 7900, but we'll see. Wife has a day off today and we need to go to town.... she wants the rest of the chairs to finish off her dining room table set, so it's either 4 more chairs or Dolmar 7900. Blond's usually win and take my money, though the saw would be cheaper.

Not a problem Marty. We'll have the tach with. Got a 3410 demo saw to play with also. I know that Mark tried to get some pictures of Boyd's saw tree so I got some today.
boyds002.jpg

boyds005.jpg

boyds006.jpg

Buzzsaw Bob will be there tomorrow too.:chainsaw:

when I got back to the farm, there was a box there from Amicks, so now I have a tach.

I met a cool guy at the open house, he was an arborist from just across the river in MN. Had a nice talk with him and we told him about AS. Maybe we can get a new member!:greenchainsaw:

No, did not get it checked, didn't have it with. I'll most likely stop up next friday and have it given the checkup. Seems to be running good, just by ear though. I'm currently on break from fenceline patrol, so it's gonna get a couple tanks thru it today.

Did have a good time up there, and hope I can win another hat at least - JD what day is Boyd gonna do the drawing?

Also got a lot of respect for that little 420, it is now on my wish list.

Steve

Edit: I tore into that little Homelite last night - broken clutch spring causing the locked up feeling. Filthiest saw I've ever seen, and talk about stuffing 10lbs of snit into a 5lb bag! Not sure if I'll get it back together in one try! I'll probably take some pics and start a post on that one when I get a bit more time.

Last edited:
No, did not get it checked, didn't have it with. I'll most likely stop up next friday and have it given the checkup. Seems to be running good, just by ear though. I'm currently on break from fenceline patrol, so it's gonna get a couple tanks thru it today.

Did have a good time up there, and hope I can win another hat at least - JD what day is Boyd gonna do the drawing?

Also got a lot of respect for that little 420, it is now on my wish list.

Steve

I would think they will do the drawing on Monday A.M. I didn't get out of there til 6:00 on saturday. Had a little BS session with Buzzsaw Bob. He did a pretty cool carving.
Ya, that little 420 is a snappy saw.

Latest posts

Back