Bradford pare

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipknot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey guys...I just cut down a bradford pare tree the other day. My question is...what is it good for? Is it good firewood, is it considered a good cooking wood, like cherry, hickory,oak, etc. Thanks

This reminds me of that Phil Collins song,"No Reply at All". Well, I have no info for ya, so I'll just do what I do best, and, state the obvious. Guess you'll have to try it and find out. Ot will burn, so it's worth keeping and using. Don't forget to let the rest of us know how it goes, even if it is next winter. Was it a large tree? why did you remove it?

get a chipper----grind up---let the wood dry--put it in heavy plastic bags--and sell for smoking of meat--or when run grill--pre soak some chips for 12 hrs--and throw on the coals when cooking--should be excellent wood----

I would dry it out at least till autumn.
Then have some friends over for a campfire.
Roast hotdogs, have a couple beers.
Marshmallows and smores for the kids.

Thanks guys.
It was severely damaged from ice, and it was around 27" when we came back to do the stump, so I have some good 22-23" rounds for firewood and cooking. Their root system isn't too agressive, so we weren't chasing roots all the way under the house...:bowdown:

27" ?

Thanks guys.
It was severely damaged from ice, and it was around 27" when we came back to do the stump, so I have some good 22-23" rounds for firewood and cooking. Their root system isn't too agressive, so we weren't chasing roots all the way under the house...:bowdown:

Wow !! :jawdrop:
27 inch Bradford pear ?
Are you sure that it's not a Bartlett pear ??

Thats a good sized pear tree. Should make some great firewood.
And as stated above, great for the smoker! MMmm-mmmm-good!

Time ta eat, these firepit/ smokin' food stories give me raging munchies!

:monkey: Montreal smoked beef sangie......smores......sangie.......smores? :monkey: Nah, smores make me teeth hurt......................

Dang, wheres that Keens gone! :help: >(special HOT mustard secret, use left-over dill pickle juice and a bit o' crushed garlic, yum!)
:angry2: for added bite a few habaneros (sp) help too!
:cheers:

Let us know how it burns, and smells. When a Bradford Pears bloom it is said to have a smell reminescent of SEMEN.:yoyo:

Pear is like apple. Hard and dense wood, good for burning.

Even Bradford pear? I know these trees to have very weak root systems (they fall over in a stiff breeze) and the pollen smells like crap...

I do not like these trees at all for these reasons, although I haven't burned any in the stove. I wouldn't turn my nose up at most any firewood out there, but this stuff...sheesh....can't imagine its great burnin. Somebody enlighten me. Way too many folks planting these trees in my opinion.

The Bradford pear is normally planted as an ornamental specimen.
For it's shape. And spring flowers. But also the autumn foliage.
No fruit whatsoever.
That's why I'm asking,
whether or not it may be the Bartlett pear instead..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back