Bradford Pear leaves turning black

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Neaves

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have one Bradford Pear that was planted this past March. It has done okay up until July. It started getting small black specks on the leaves. Now some of the leaves are turning black from the edges. The leaves also feel very dry. I water the tree about once per week for about two hours.

What could be causing the leave problem. I have a neighbor that lost his new pear from the same issues. He wattered all the time...I think he drowned it!

Any help would be nice

I think you may be over watering too. Pears can take more water then other rose family plants, but maybe your giving enough stress to let leafspot get out of hand.

If you use a sprinkler, put a raingauge out and turn it off at 1/2 inch.

Okay...will the leaves be dry and turning brown from the outside edges with overwatering? You mentioned 1/2 inch...is that every week?

Thanks alot.

trees as a whole need 1 inch of rain per week. If you dont get that especially during hot windy dry spells , then give your trees some water especially young ones.bradford pears will get fireblight that will show black leaves on the end of the branches and you can treat them copper at budbreak for that .but keep in mind that bradford pear trees are prone to breakage during ice and wind and usually dont last more than 20 years at the most.

callery pears

if you just purchased this pear from a nursery, you should check if they have an guaranty. if so exchange it for a different cultivar of callery pear, like the "aristocrat" or "capitol". the journal of arboriculture just had a study on five cultivar of callery pear and it would seem the "aristocrat" has the best branch angles and is far less prone to storm damage. bradford pears have huge problems with included bark due to poorly angled growth.

Treat it with Copper? Please explain. Will it survive the blight? 1 inch per week...thanks.

Latest posts

Back