Bradford Pear Planting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weazer

Reaction score
We have just had two Pin Oaks cut down and stumped. Does anyone know whether or not it would be safe to plant Bradford Pear trees in the holes left by the removal of the oaks?

Would there be too much acidity left by the oaks and if so could it be neutralized by lime?

Dont palnt anything in the pit from a removed tree, there will be a nitrogen deficite as the woody meterial decomposes.

I would not go with the 'Bradford' cultivar of callery pear. They have poor form and tend to break or die out in the center. Go to the library and look at a Dirr woody plant manual for, or talk to a good nursery near you. Discount and high volume places are for potentillas small arb's and other short term plants.

I encounter this a lot in residential tree removals. Most homeowners are dead-set about planting a replacement tree in the same spot as the removed tree. This is NEVER a good idea. The old stump, roots and stump grindings are a perfect environment for fungus, bacteria and bugs that feast on the decaying wood. This is a good thing. But if you plant a new tree in the same spot, the 'critters' will be right there to take advantage of any weakness in your newly planted tree. I always reccommend planting any replacement tree at least 10 feet away from any removed tree.

Latest posts

Back