brake drum woodstove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice, and should last a long time to boot.

I too feal that nothing is scrap (just ask my folks, they call me sanford :) ) At any rate I've been thinking of building a OWB using an old fork truck wheel that we're scraping out at work as the fire box. The wheel's 30X36X1.5 thick (no tire pressed on just the steel rim) and the best part is I can pick it up cheap. I really enjoy building and looking at stuff like this, really gets ya thinking about just what we spend our money on and just how much of it can be had a lot cheaper with a little time and some imagination.

DO IT!
:chainsaw:

Where did u get the front door? Are the drums cast iron? What is holding them together. I like it alot, just a few questions tho. I can get old drums for next to nuthin. If its cast how is the door attatched? Thanks in advanced and once again great job and ingenuity!!!!

Looks like something I could use to fabricate a wood burning pool heater. Need some kind of stainless tubing on the inside that pool water can flow through and then back to pool.

gg

Where did u get the front door? Are the drums cast iron? What is holding them together. I like it alot, just a few questions tho. I can get old drums for next to nuthin. If its cast how is the door attatched? Thanks in advanced and once again great job and ingenuity!!!!

the front door is 1/4 inch plate
bordered with flat bar
The drums are cast but They are banded with steel on the outer edge allowing them to be welded easly! Every thing is welded on it!you need a plasma cuter or something to cut the cast for openings.I used 6011 rod heat maxed out to cut the cast.
You can run a hot water coil inside around the top I have done this on one other!
There is more to it than meets the i There is a baffle at the top to force the flame to travel the top surface

Last edited:
What kind of water coil? Copper? Stainless?

Think you could send me a drawing?

I'm looking for a cheap way to add some heat to the pool.

gg

I've seen wood heated outdoor hot tubs, they were pretty neat, but heating an actual pool would need some kinda gigantic wood stove. That's a lot of water man...

Ian

What kind of water coil? Copper? Stainless?

Think you could send me a drawing?

I'm looking for a cheap way to add some heat to the pool.

gg

Used copper as was stated by haywire would take a lot of heat to heat a pool!I used it to supliment hot water tank.I used simply one pass of 1/2 inch copper pipe around the inside of the upper portion of the drum doubt that would heat a pool.You could how ever wrap the upper portion of the drum with several passes of pipe and eshast thru the top.
A drawing is possible I guess! You would need to have the lines plumbed at or below pool level to get natual water movement !OR you would have to pump it!

Last edited:
"The drums are cast but They are banded with steel on the outer edge"

===

What do ya mean banded with steel??..What are these drums off of, do ya know the manufacture??

That thing could make one he77 of a coal burner...

Neat stove...

Latest posts

Back