Brand New 2001 - 372XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

float89

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Need some input. I have a brand new 2001 372xp that has never touched wood. It has been started every year or so to keep things fresh and moving but spent its life on display.

The saw was given to my dad as an award back in 2000 and he decided right away that he would never run it. Unfortunately he passed away last fall. I have the saw now and I'm torn whether to put it to use or keep it on the shelf. His close friend has told me that I should run it as it was his award but now my tool to put to use in his honor.

I burn through 10 cord/yr in the wood boiler and currently have all Stihl saws (170, 021 026, 261, 034 super, 391). clearly the 372 would be my "big" saw that I have yet to acquire. Has a 20" Oregon Power Match on it from the beginning. I run a 20" on both the 034 super and ms391 so may put a 24" on it for the bigger stuff if I do run it.

I want to use it but hesitant and not really sure... figured I would see what you guys would do in a situation like this?

PXL_20210425_192808218.jpg
PXL_20210425_192735273.jpg
PXL_20210425_192758033.jpg

PXL_20210425_192920009.jpg

PXL_20210425_192928505.jpg
PXL_20210425_192939431.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210425_192602439.jpg
    PXL_20210425_192602439.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 9
Myself if I had an honest use for it I would use it and think of my father everytime (another good reason to maintain it). Pictures are for looking at and tools are tools and meant to be used as such. Everyone will have a different opinion, just like what two stroke oil to use so in the end it's up to you.

I second lostone's sentiments.
If you value it as a momento you'll never sell it so it's value to you remains the same even if you were to use it to death. It will likely serve you far better as both a tool & a reminder of your dad if put to use as opposed to sit it on a shelf.
What do you think your father would want to see you do with it?

Me personally I would not use it for nothing, your dad gifted that saw to you, the saw has not been put in wood and now since his passing "my condolences" I would keep it exactly the way he presented it to me.

@lostone @J D - Much apricated feedback. I like the idea of remembering him while using and maintaining it as a tool that should be ran. If i do run it I will need to find a good job to break it in right!

@Stihl99 - Your words are sitting on my other shoulder... We never had that conversation (unfortunately) about passing it onto me.

He would give me some smart remark about how darn I even consider it but of course with a smirk and chuckle suggesting his real support for me to enjoy it how ever I see fit.

Quick story you may enjoy:
Back in the 90's as a kid one of his 272s had a broken off exhaust bolt. It was sitting there without a bar so my buddy and I cut away the clutch cover with a grinder and friction mated it to the rear tire on a razor scooter. Used a wire around the handle and had it up to 40mph before the wheel exploded and sent my buddy in the ditch.... Loud, fast and short lived but my dad could only shake his head and ask whether we had plans for an improved version.

Gord is right. Do you ask others before you date a girl if she looks all right? How about before you buy a new refrigerator? Who did you ask these questions before the internet? You probably already know your answer and are just bored so went on AS.

Gord is right. Do you ask others before you date a girl if she looks all right? How about before you buy a new refrigerator? Who did you ask these questions before the internet? You probably already know your answer and are just bored so went on AS.

I really do not know what to do and wanted to get unique perspectives from a community who has a passion for all things saws. To be completely honest, I started it up yesterday for my first time and it was hard to hold it all together... Though, could have all been out of boredom, I suppose.

@lostone @J D - Much apricated feedback. I like the idea of remembering him while using and maintaining it as a tool that should be ran. If i do run it I will need to find a good job to break it in right!

@Stihl99 - Your words are sitting on my other shoulder... We never had that conversation (unfortunately) about passing it onto me.

He would give me some smart remark about how darn I even consider it but of course with a smirk and chuckle suggesting his real support for me to enjoy it how ever I see fit.

Quick story you may enjoy:
Back in the 90's as a kid one of his 272s had a broken off exhaust bolt. It was sitting there without a bar so my buddy and I cut away the clutch cover with a grinder and friction mated it to the rear tire on a razor scooter. Used a wire around the handle and had it up to 40mph before the wheel exploded and sent my buddy in the ditch.... Loud, fast and short lived but my dad could only shake his head and ask whether we had plans for an improved version.
Sounds like the kind of guy that would want you to do whatever works for you with it in a "no regrets" sorta way. Biggest issue I see with using it is doing something stupid that wrecks it & forever beating yourself up for that... at the end of the day if you're gunna use it, it's gunna get "used". You'll still have the momento it'll just have more of a story behind it.
The thing I'd be most worried about is some **** stealing it... Take photos & note the serial number & put a perminant identifiable mark on it somewhere discrete (maybe punch your dads initials on the cylinder or something)

Sorry for your loss, I’d personally treat it how he did and leave it unused. It doesn’t owe you anything.

Buy your own and admire that for what it is, it’s beautiful.

Side note, I wouldn’t keep starting it and not load it. You’ll glaze the cylinder.

Run some moto mix through it for a minute or so, empty the tank, start it and run it dry. Empty the bar oil tank, squirt some 2 stroke oil into the crank and spin it over by the pull handle a few times, loosen the chain a little and display it inside somewhere with minimal temp fluctuations.

Somewhere down the road someone will use that saw. It might as well be you. Treat it right and you can pass it on to one of your kids as a working saw. It could last a few generations if looked after. Especially if you kept your eyes peeled for new, oem spare parts.

My Dad would be thrilled if I used his saw, even if unused when it was passed on.

PS, it's one of the best 70cc saws ever made. Maybe the best. Lucky you!

oh, and re-stick that clutch cover sticker or it will be tore off in a minute. You could even cover it with some 3M vinyl, since that is generally the first sticker to get ruined on a saw. Might as well keep it looking new for as long as possible.

For me, if this were my situation, I would first Thank my Dad for having the tenacity to keep such a great and fun tool unused, in pristine condition such that one day he might pass it along to his son.

In my mind it would forever remain not as my chainsaw but "My Dad's 372xp", and I would be honored to run it. And yes, I would be cutting with it, and that would make me happy..because it helps me think of him.

I would not abuse the saw, and I sure as shyte would fix it right whenever it needed repair.....after all, that's my Dad, and I'll treat the saw like how I would treat my Dad.

To me that saw would be a form of embodiment of my father, a means by which I could connect with him, feel his presence once again, include him in my life adventures, and show him that I'd make him proud.

Yeah I know, lots of gushy feelings type stuff, but I love my Dad more than anything, to think about him gone puts my stomach into knots. I also have a strange connection with tools & machinery...I dunno, things with engines and moving parts just sometimes have their own soul/personality....I mean, that's why we name our saws/quads/cars/trucks/tractors/etc right?

This is just what I would do....what would help me feel a little less sad about my Dad not being around anymore. Incidentally he owns a early '80's 50rancher White Top.. well used however ;) .. his hands have spent countless hours holding that saw, and I'd be proud to keep & continue to run it in his memory.

My condolences to you too, I hope you figure out a good way forward :) .

I would us it when I needed to, but not abuse it. Take good care of it and think of the old man every time I used it.
This is my thought as well. I've been using tools I got from my grandfather for 50 years, and think of him while I'm using them often. My father has been gone only 5 years, and I enjoy working with his tools every day. Just take care of it and that saw will last forever.

Im sorry for your loss. I lost my dad a few years ago and i miss him every. I understand being torn between using and just keeping it. If it were me I woukd totally use it and keep it in prestine condition or sell it so someone couod make use of it. My dad was into toy trains and he had lots of them. we my sister and i have no room to enjoy his collection and my mom could use the money they would bring so we will each keep one as a momento but sell the rest and it is a huge job to not break them as they are put back into the boxes and sold. it tough. if you ever decided that it would be better for someont to use that saw rather than just keeping it on the shelf im sure that someone here would give it a good home and take care of it and use it, and be honored to do so.

Back