Brand new MS200T vs. brand new MS201T...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent review there Matt! Glad to see the saws arrived safely. It's amazing how so simple thing as removing the screen on the 200T makes such a big difference. Is there not another way to add an additional port to the 201T?

Excellent review there Matt! Glad to see the saws arrived safely. It's amazing how so simple thing as removing the screen on the 200T makes such a big difference. Is there not another way to add an additional port to the 201T?

Thanks Brad and thankyou to yourself as well for the help :)
About the only thing that crossed my mind is to hog out a small part of the clutch cover where the 201's screen is. To be honest though I wouldn't bother myself as that is starting to destroy too much of the saw.

I'm pretty sure it was no accident that Stihl had an easily removable screen on their 200T as an easy performance improvement - unfortunately it doesn't look like the 201T has any easy performance improvements. Even removing the small pin with the H jet on the 201T is honestly beyond the abilities of most consumers and easily visible as well, voiding any warranty.

Last edited:
[snip]

I'm pretty sure it was no accident that Stihl had an easily removable screen on their 200T as an easy performance improvement - unfortunately it doesn't look like the 201T has any easy performance improvements. Even removing the small pin with the H jet on the 201T is honestly beyond the abilities of most consumers and easily visible as well, voiding any warranty.

Did you try turning the H screw out with an allen key before you took the H limiter cap out Matt?

No I didn't Rudy as to get in there I had to grind that stupid pin out anyway.

That's a pity, stihl is getting pretty serious with their 'tamper proof' limiter caps. I wonder what the carb setting procedure is for their dealers...

That's a pity, stihl is getting pretty serious with their 'tamper proof' limiter caps. I wonder what the carb setting procedure is for their dealers...

Yeah they are certainly making it difficult. In fact I'd LOVE to see the workshop procedure on getting the H jet out on the 201T if it ever needs replacing :D

soon enough Stihl will be sealing their saws in armor plating. A dremel is gonna have to be a standard part of everyones toolkit LOL Matt perhaps you can whip a few of the plastic bits out of the way of the opened exhaust on that 201, here's a little Solo pruning saw with extra holes bunged in and the plastic snipped for clearance of gas. Similar on opened out huskys too. So the new-fangled chisel chain is nothing startling then? Also wonder if the bore X stroke on the 201 is the same as the 200?

s2r.jpg

Much thanks for all the comparisons and the video to back it up..!!

I was thinking of trading my 200T in for a 201T if it showed marked improvement.

That thought is "out the door" now...I'm keeping what I got..!!!!

(and that muffler screen non-removal flow deal really sucks..!!)
:cheers:
J2F

Well, at least they have improved on the fugly and boxy look of the 200........:givebeer:

soon enough Stihl will be sealing their saws in armor plating. A dremel is gonna have to be a standard part of everyones toolkit LOL Matt perhaps you can whip a few of the plastic bits out of the way of the opened exhaust on that 201, here's a little Solo pruning saw with extra holes bunged in and the plastic snipped for clearance of gas. Similar on opened out huskys too. So the new-fangled chisel chain is nothing startling then? Also wonder if the bore X stroke on the 201 is the same as the 200?

Hi mate. Actually I haven't run the 3/8"LP full chisel yet. There were also two loops of the standard Stihl semi included which is what I used. Because I've decided to offload the 201T I won't do any more work to it however if I'd have decided to keep it I'd have definately played with it a bit more.
Not sure what the bore and stroke is but it would be interesting for sure :) I think the 201T has more up her sleeve but not easily and certainly not without cutting stuff up.

EPA to blame - again!

I am pretty sure that consern about the insane EPA behavior in the US is the main reason for this mess......:bang::bang:

A most excellent thread :msp_thumbup:, Matt, thanks for the reviews and the video! I tried to rep you, but I need to spread some around first, I'll be back after I hit a few folks.

I wonder how many people understood "spit the dummy?"

A most excellent thread :msp_thumbup:, Matt, thanks for the reviews and the video! I tried to rep you, but I need to spread some around first, I'll be back after I hit a few folks.

I wonder how many people understood "spit the dummy?"

No worries mate. No need to rep me, I only recently found where to see my reps and felt bad as I hadn't replied to any of them since the AS format changes :cheers:

It just is obvious in this case, and it is a fact that the MS200T is a fugly creation! :cheers:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! But yeah, they are ugly for sure :D Beautiful to use though ;)

Ho well, so much for the only stihl saw you need to own. Lets hope the new 540xp can fill the 200t shoes.

I've got to get another new 200t from somewhere before it's too late!

As an aside, I tried a loop of that full chisel stihl chain. It's very agressive for sure, but the cutter is enormous on it, almost twice as large as, say, the carlton semi chisel lo pro. Though its very agressive, it has a hard time keeping up with the smaller semi chisel chains because its trying to dig a wider kerf. A bit fo a disapointment to be honest. Also because it's full cisel you blunt and sharpen it more. I've gone through half the tooth length on this loop in about a week.

Shaun

I've got to get another new 200t from somewhere before it's too late!

As an aside, I tried a loop of that full chisel stihl chain. It's very agressive for sure, but the cutter is enormous on it, almost twice as large as, say, the carlton semi chisel lo pro. Though its very agressive, it has a hard time keeping up with the smaller semi chisel chains because its trying to dig a wider kerf. A bit fo a disapointment to be honest. Also because it's full cisel you blunt and sharpen it more. I've gone through half the tooth length on this loop in about a week.

Shaun

Hi mate.
Is the full chisel you got hold of the bumper link variety? I agree on the cutter size - quite a bit larger. The good thing about a 200T is that it has the nuts to pull a pretty aggressively setup semi chisel LP chain anyway.

Latest posts

Back