Brand new MS200T vs. brand new MS201T...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want to hyjack but I figured this is as good a place as any to get some info - a friend just dropped me an 020T and I was curious of some common things to look for?

yeah mate, the one with the safety bumper. I dremeled the extra bumper off with the round sanding attachment. ITs an agressive chain and sends big chips absolutely flying, but its no faster in the cut - its just cutting a much bigger kerf. To be honest, the semi chisel stuff Im getting from you is faster in the cut, and way more confidence inspiring when doing snap cuts, spear cuts and chasing wood off the tree. The full chisel stuff can bog down in the cut if you're too hard on it, and you need to have it at full revs before getting into wood or it doesn't wind up all the way. It's also noticeably slower to spool up. Throttle response is instant with the semi chisel, but with full chisel you need to make a conscious effort to throttle up before cutting.

Shaun

I don't want to hyjack but I figured this is as good a place as any to get some info - a friend just dropped me an 020T and I was curious of some common things to look for?

Can't help you mate sorry.

yeah mate, the one with the safety bumper. I dremeled the extra bumper off with the round sanding attachment. ITs an agressive chain and sends big chips absolutely flying, but its no faster in the cut - its just cutting a much bigger kerf. To be honest, the semi chisel stuff Im getting from you is faster in the cut, and way more confidence inspiring when doing snap cuts, spear cuts and chasing wood off the tree. The full chisel stuff can bog down in the cut if you're too hard on it, and you need to have it at full revs before getting into wood or it doesn't wind up all the way. It's also noticeably slower to spool up. Throttle response is instant with the semi chisel, but with full chisel you need to make a conscious effort to throttle up before cutting.

Shaun

Have you pulled the spark arrrestor screen on your 200 mate?

Great thread Matt. I wonder how the 201 would do with the screen out. I know that the 200 is is dawg with the screen in after you are used to running saws with the screen removed. Did you run the 201 with the screen out at all? Just curious seeing as I am going to be buying one or the other this week.

Great thread Matt. I wonder how the 201 would do with the screen out. I know that the 200 is is dawg with the screen in after you are used to running saws with the screen removed. Did you run the 201 with the screen out at all? Just curious seeing as I am going to be buying one or the other this week.

Hi mate.
No I didn't run the 201 with the screen out as unlike the 200T Stihl have changed the clutch cover so any exhaust gases from where the screen was will exit straight into the plastic. I'd have liked to though but unfortunately am selling the saw so didn't want to change too much in it. I know the strato 201T has more potential but it's certainly not as easy to get as the 200T which simply takes one screw :)

Hasn't everybody?

Shaun

Most have mate but certainly not all. Depending on where you are working and under who's rules many would be in big doo doo if checked and not running a spark arrestor. Even myself - under the law if I got checked out by workplace safety running my 200T or my Chinese 365 copy without spark arrestors fitted I'd be promptly fined - no joke. Because I'm an employee providing my own tools (saws) if they don't come up to standard I'm liable.

been trying to call you last couple of days mate, no luck... can you get me another 200t? A new one, or will buy yours? Had a go of a 201 today and wasnt that impressed. Didnt have the primer bulb either. The cover was ok, as are captive bar nuts and improved flippy, but it felt too much like a 192t to me, and I still have nightmare flashbacks about those. The air filter cover, handle, on off choke switch and general side covers all just feel cheap. Balance was ok, but I need another 200t.

Shaun

been trying to call you last couple of days mate, no luck... can you get me another 200t? A new one, or will buy yours? Had a go of a 201 today and wasnt that impressed. Didnt have the primer bulb either. The cover was ok, as are captive bar nuts and improved flippy, but it felt too much like a 192t to me, and I still have nightmare flashbacks about those. The air filter cover, handle, on off choke switch and general side covers all just feel cheap. Balance was ok, but I need another 200t.

Shaun

Hi Shaun.
Yeah sorry mate - I've been down Mt Gambier at stage 2 of the forestry course I'm doing. Also been battling a flu that's knocking the crap out of me. I had that many missed calls from work I gave up. First day was something like 25 calls and 15 messages and by Wednesday arvo I had an A4 list of guys to ring back. I lost track of who the hell had rang or texted me on my personal phone. I had a message overload attack :D
I do have that spare, new 200T but unfortunately mate that's staying with me as I can't currently source another new one anywhere. It's like 3/8" Carlton skip semi chisel - I can't source that anymore so after I get the two 114DL loops to you (that I owe you) I'm not selling anymore to anybody. It's MINE... ALL MINE!!!
The build quality and plastic fit on the 201T I have here is way nicer than the 200T, although you can't compare grunt once that arrestor screen is out the way.
Take it easy,
Matt

Call me old fashion

I will be sticking with my old 020T, it runs well & does the job so why change just because a new model comes out. I have resisted moving to the next best one twice now and no regrets.
Saying that, the saw is now on the bench in bits having a good old clean and after that it should last me another few years. I run this along with a Husky top handle, and like them both. Bigger saws it has to be Husky for me but thats just a personal thing. I run them all standard which seems to be more reliable also just started using Aspen 2 with good results although it does cost more.

Just bumping an old thread.

Any good gains been made yet with the MS201T?

When you remove the spark arrestor on the 200 do you need to adjust the H screw? Mine is already out as far as it goes an I assume it is had against the plastic side cover.

This was a great thread appreciate the lengths you went to in your comparison MCW.

Just bumping an old thread.

Any good gains been made yet with the MS201T?

When you remove the spark arrestor on the 200 do you need to adjust the H screw? Mine is already out as far as it goes an I assume it is had against the plastic side cover.

This was a great thread appreciate the lengths you went to in your comparison MCW.

Hi mate.
Tuning is a funny one - you may have to adjust the H jet or you may not. In my case with my two 200T's I didn't have to touch the tune.
As far as the 201T's (as mentioned above) Brad Snelling is the man to speak to. I've dealt with him a lot over the years and have absolutely no complaints. Every single saw he's modified for me is still going strong (And I don't even own most of them anymore either!). He does excellent work.
With few mods his 201T's will stick it up a 200T. I still have a new 200T in my cupboard but would have no hesitation in buying one of Brad's modded 201T's.

Howdy,
Those high speed locks can be removed with a screw.
1- Run your screw into the center of the lock.
2- Then turn the lock CCW until it stops. (The match mark on the carb, and on the lock should be lined up.)
3- Grab the screw with a pliers to pull the lock.
If you want to use the lock again.
1- Make your adjustment.
2- Push the stop pin from the inside towards the outside until there's enough room to reinstall the lock.
3- Reinstall the lock.
4- Push the pin back in.
If you want to leave it fully adjustable, just use a grinder or a file on the groove that the stop pin runs in. By continuing the groove all the way around the lock, it will leave it fully adjustable with the lock in place.
Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
This is the way I've been finding them. The left hand threaded tool is nice but, not necessary as long as you turn the lock CCW until it stops before you pull on it.
Regards
Gregg

Back