Breaking chains!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their Arbormax bars are fine

Good job on the replacement set up. Should last you just fine, I am running the arbormax on my 026 and 036.
Great job with the fixer upper, good luck Mr Baker... Croutons really would be a sight.

Jason

Last edited:
Smoking?

Does this appear to smoke too much from the exhaust? I don't notice it from running the saw, but the video brings it out some, more noticeable when the saw was horizontal. I mix 32:1 as it was an older saw (don't know how old, is there a way to find out when it was made?) at first I mixed it 16:1, but it smoked a bunch, so I cut it back, I just got the "replacement" manual a couple of days ago, and it says 50:1, but is that for newer saws, or has oil gotten better?

Maybe this should be a new thread?

Shawn

Yep, Bailey's sent me everything to match, 3/8 low profile, cuts pretty good!

Took me a few try's to get the "slicing" done right!

http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Movies/?action=view¤t=MVI_7743.flv

Shawn

:blob2: :ices_rofl: HA Ha ha ha :ices_rofl: :blob4:

Great stuff, looks tastey, though, I'm not so sure I'd want the foot secured end of the loaf!!!

BTW, the link didn't work for me, but I was able to get to the video via http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Movies/

Is that 3/8 low profile chain you put on there?

Stihls used to be 40:1 and then they changed that several years ago to 50:1.

Awesome bread slicing!!!
Slice on Bread Man!

Yep, that is what they sent me, to go with the bar & sprocket!

Should I lean it out to 50:1?

Shawn

Last edited:

Should I lean itout to 50:1?

Shawn

Ehh, play it safe and go with 40:1 For the slight cost increase, it's not worth risking substandard lubrication wear and tear. If it tends to get get a lot of carbon fouling, you could always switch to synthetic. (Stihl Ultra, Mobile 2T, Redline) I've found Redline on the internet for $31.75/gallon, shipped. ($0.79 per mixed gallon at 40:1, not bad!)

Last edited:
Got a tree!

I tried it out in the woods cutting 11" Red Pine it goes much faster with that, compared to the cherry!

Cut up one tree, and brought it home!

Img_7754.jpg

Img_7755.jpg

Img_7756.jpg

Now I can go get me a fire going and bake some BREAD!

197Day62.jpg

199HotCoals.jpg

All to make this! (well a bunch more!)

1stBake7.jpg

Thanks, To everybody!

Shawn

Shawn

You can do a search on here and spend the next week reading about oil and mixtures. I did that per suggestions when I asked the question. What I found out is that there are as many opinions as there are chainsaws. But the bottom line was 50:1 if you use a good brand of oil. Chainsaw oil is made for higher temperatures than other 2 stroke oil and not all are equal. So I decided to use Stihl oil from my local dealer cause he is a nice guy and answers my questions and mix it at 40:1 like I am used to doing. I use the 6.4 oz jugs they make for 2 1/2 gallons and mix it with 2 gallons. Easy enough. And I no longer worry about the 6 drops left in my measuring bottle when I mix.

Last edited:
Great thread! It's good to see the forum work, and see the results, both the saw, and what it's used for. A different reason to cut wood than most of us. Although 100 years ago, many people probably used wood to heat their cook stoves. Good luck Shawn!
Scott

Shawn

For what you are doing it will be fine. Use a name brand oil and go to town with it. If you want the best oil that will get you out of the woods .365 seconds quicker so you can bake more bread the search oils.

Last edited:
That bread looks delicious! I love a good hearty bread. No mushy Wonder Bread for this guy! All that needs is some paper thin Black Forest Ham and some Gouda cheese. :cheers:

Ian

This has been a really neat thread. I have enjoyed it and the pics were good too. I am temporarily out of rep but Shawn you deserve some. LMAO at your video. Sprig is right. Now I'm getting the munchies. That bread looks delicious. :cheers:

Well I got my parts, they all seem to be in good order now!

Thanks All!

I love it when a plan comes together.... :)

50:1 is fine for a stock saw.

Nice looking bread. Me hungry now... :cheers: <--- liquid bread :biggrinbounce2:

My oil

I use either Stihl, or Husky, whichever is more convient, I burn about 12 cords a year in the oven, and another 7 or so in the house to keep warm in the winter, so I don't cut alot, but probably more than the "average" home owner!

That trailer load of wood will last me about 2 day worth of baking! I prefer pine in the oven, Most of it will not get split, The opening is about 10" tall so a few will need to be split.

I'll try thinning it out to 40:1

Shawn

Last edited:
That bread looks delicious! I love a good hearty bread. No mushy Wonder Bread for this guy! All that needs is some paper thin Black Forest Ham and some Gouda cheese. :cheers:

Ian

Yeah, I wonder about some of that "bread" the wrapper is probably just as good for you!

I make 100% Organic breads, and try to replicate what was done in Europe 150 years ago. (I know they didn't use chains saws back then!)

I'm not sure how "paper thin" I could slice the ham though! But it also goes great on this bread which is 100% Org Rye with Sunflower & flaxseed's in German it is called "Vollkornbrot"!

15Vollkornbrot.jpg

That's grams on the scale!

But I also make other yummy things in the oven!

2CookedOatmeal.jpg

Oatmeal

I also make pizza every other day for lunch!
6PizzaReadytoEat.jpg

Now you got the munchies?

I like to eat, and eat WELL!

Shawn

Back